Roy Williams and Bruce Webber @ Linn-Mar Open Gym

It's going to be tough. Our only hope is that what Fran is trying to do here begins to take shape and he can see the style and the new practice facility and wants to be a part of it. Not batting a very high percentage from CR area kids.

Williams makes me sick. He has the best pg in the country coming in this year with the best player in the country in Barnes,and here he is out trying to tap Iowa again for 2012. Like he is the king of college bb and deserves every recruit he wants.
Weber and Williams need to stay out of Iowa.
And Marcus needs to know that Irving,the pg coming in this year, may stay four years which would impact his playing time. Come to Iowa,Marcus,and play right away.

Are you ragging on the guy for doing his job? Listen, its a cutthroat business, there is no time to have sympathy for Iowa.

Williams makes me sick. He has the best pg in the country coming in this year with the best player in the country in Barnes,and here he is out trying to tap Iowa again for 2012. Like he is the king of college bb and deserves every recruit he wants.
And Marcus needs to know that Irving,the pg coming in this year, may stay four years which would impact his playing time. Come to Iowa,Marcus,and play right away.

The only way Fran and the Mayor are going to keep these Ia kids home is to start getting back to the Dance on a regular basis or make it to a Final Four! We need to turn Carver into a fun place to play basketball again not a morgue, no matter what happens this year the fans need to come back and support this BB team and convince future recruits to come.

Williams makes me sick. He has the best pg in the country coming in this year with the best player in the country in Barnes,and here he is out trying to tap Iowa again for 2012. [...] And Marcus needs to know that Irving,the pg coming in this year, may stay four years which would impact his playing time. Come to Iowa,Marcus,and play right away.

Kyrie Irving is going to Duke. I doubt he stays four years. Kendall Marshall, North Carolina's actual point guard recruit this year, is still very good (Rivals #32 overall), and he's a lot more likely stay four years.

Does that mean that McCaffrey needs to stay out of Illinois and North Carolina?

It makes me sick too, but as stated in another post, McCaffery and Hoiberg need to KEEP them out. Other coaches are just doing their jobs, and I wouldn't feel a bit bad if we went into the state of Illinois and took a highly rated recruit out from under Weber's nose. It's a free for all.

We might be able to beat out Weber and Illinois, but going head to head with Williams and UNC, and coming out on top, is going to be a tall order.

I am going to be dissapointed if he goes anywhere but Iowa, but I will be sickened if he goes to Illinios. Uggggggg......
Cannot fathom why there is angst about Bruce Weber. Self had the Illannoy program on top, winning the BT, getting to the Final 4---and Weber quickly put an end to that kind of quality performances.

All that Weber has shown he can do well in sell himself & his program to 14 & 15 year old Illinois HS kids.He hasn't shown he can win with them. He hasn't shown he can make them better players.

The contrast will be very evident this season: Illannoy, with the most veteran team in the Big Ten, will struggle to finish 4th behind Mich State, Purdue, Ohio State--and may well lose the battle to beat out Wisky (Ryan over Weber more than offsets the Illannoy edge in talent & experience); while by the end of the season McCaffery will have the Hawkeyes the surprise team of the Big Ten, contesting with Minnie, NW & Michigan 6th or 7th in the conference.

Paige is a very smart kid: he will see the difference between Weber & McCaffery.

Worry instead not just about Roy Williams--but also Bill Self, Bo Ryan, Coach K.

Not saying that Paige to Illinois couldn't happen but who was the last player from Iowa that did play for the orange and blue?

I also think seeing high profile programs looking at players from our state indicates the strengthening of the AAU and High Schools in Iowa.

Last edited:
Kyrie Irving is going to Duke. I doubt he stays four years. Kendall Marshall, North Carolina's actual point guard recruit this year, is still very good (Rivals #32 overall), and he's a lot more likely stay four years.

Thanks for the correction. I knew that UNC got a good pg to come with Barnes,but that Duke did also. Bottom line,as you say, Marshall is going to be playing in front of Marcus for two years,while Marcus can play very quickly at Iowa....come to Iowa,Marcus!!

As for hating Williams...yes,I am bitter about LaFrentz,Collison,Hinrich,and Barnes. Build a firewall,Fran,keep this SOB outta Iowa.

I think I dislike Williams more after the year he had last year....Nice use of talent, Roy.

And Duke just got a verbal the other day from the #1 PG in this year's class (Doc Rivers kid) and happens to be the #1 overall rated player as well so they will be loaded at PG.

And Duke just got a verbal the other day from the #1 PG in this year's class (Doc Rivers kid) and happens to be the #1 overall rated player as well so they will be loaded at PG.

I have seen Austin Rivers play and he really seems more like a shooting guard to me.
I am sure he is good,but he is not in the class of John Wall, or Derrick Rose...as a pg anyway. Just not as explosive off the dribble. Good scorer tho.

If players like Barnes, Paige, Uthoff could figure out that if they ALL played for Iowa we could be great too... no reason for them all to run off to other teams for a better shot at the national championship. How many of the Iowa all-state kids won a national championship for another state doing this? It isn't like Iowa isn't doing everything they can... nice university, brand new practice facility... I think jumping ship and heading to Kansas is weak. They have Twitter, they have cell phones, they can communicate with each other and ALL decide to do this. You don't see the best players in most states running away. I can't help but to not wish them well at Wisconsin, Kansas, NC, Duke, etc. Why would I care to hope they do good after selling their own state out?

BTW... the answer to how many of them ran off to other states for a national championship and completed it is VERY small... let's name some?

CHIRP CHIRP... dang crickets... who was the last Iowa High School Baller to play on a NCAA Championship team?