Roy Williams and Bruce Webber @ Linn-Mar Open Gym

The recruitment of Barnes would have brought in the other top players. I mean it when I say... send out a critique asking WTF... what are your reasons for not choosing to support your homestate and what it would have taken for you to stay home. I just find it sick that people like Coach K get the pick of the lot and act like they are good coaches.... heck, you give most coaches better players they would win! It doesn't take much intelligence to figure that out. Additionally, Look how poorly NC did last season... with players we would love to have at Iowa! So if Barnes goes to UNC and does well, is it because they have such a great coach? Whose to say he wouldn't have done better someplace else? Odd part is some other kid will sign on the dotted line to play for them so they can be the next greatest thing. In the end... Bohannon, Collison, Hinrich, LaFrentz all ended up with same amount of National Championship rings I have. I think Kansas even had a losing record against Iowa with Collison and Hinrich if I remember correctly.

The recruitment of Barnes would have brought in the other top players. I mean it when I say... send out a critique asking WTF... what are your reasons for not choosing to support your homestate and what it would have taken for you to stay home. I just find it sick that people like Coach K get the pick of the lot and act like they are good coaches.... heck, you give most coaches better players they would win! It doesn't take much intelligence to figure that out. Additionally, Look how poorly NC did last season... with players we would love to have at Iowa! So if Barnes goes to UNC and does well, is it because they have such a great coach? Whose to say he wouldn't have done better someplace else? Odd part is some other kid will sign on the dotted line to play for them so they can be the next greatest thing. In the end... Bohannon, Collison, Hinrich, LaFrentz all ended up with same amount of National Championship rings I have. I think Kansas even had a losing record against Iowa with Collison and Hinrich if I remember correctly.
Not everyone thinks the way you do so why torture yourself? Let them be happy where they want to. The kids you mentioned played and succeded at a much higher level than Iowa did during the same time.
I too think they could have brought the same promenience to Iowa but its life.

Cannot fathom why there is angst about Bruce Weber. Self had the Illannoy program on top, winning the BT, getting to the Final 4---and Weber quickly put an end to that kind of quality performances.

All that Weber has shown he can do well in sell himself & his program to 14 & 15 year old Illinois HS kids.He hasn't shown he can win with them. He hasn't shown he can make them better players.

The contrast will be very evident this season: Illannoy, with the most veteran team in the Big Ten, will struggle to finish 4th behind Mich State, Purdue, Ohio State--and may well lose the battle to beat out Wisky (Ryan over Weber more than offsets the Illannoy edge in talent & experience); while by the end of the season McCaffery will have the Hawkeyes the surprise team of the Big Ten, contesting with Minnie, NW & Michigan 6th or 7th in the conference.

Paige is a very smart kid: he will see the difference between Weber & McCaffery.

Worry instead not just about Roy Williams--but also Bill Self, Bo Ryan, Coach K.

The reason Illinois' program slipped after Self left was a drop in recruiting. Weber can coach but couldn't recruit initially. Weber has brought in some highly regarded classes lately thanks to Howard one of his assistant coaches. You might not like Illinois or North Carolina but these two coaches run programs the right way. I can't blame a kid for going to either place. I'd be more upset if a kid goes to Kentucky and the slime ball Calipari or dare I say to Tennesse and the slime ball Pearl.

I'm very optimistic about Fran but he is up against some very stout coaching in the conference. I like his aggressive recruiting style versus the passive recruiting under Lick. We never even attempted to land the big dog the last few years. Basketball is so much different than football. Having one star surrounded by role players can make a quick turnaround for a program.

If Barnes was going to stay in Iowa... it probably would have been at ISU.

Than the kid is not someone we would have wanted around. Anyone who would rather go to Iowa State for anything outside of AGRICULTURE 101 is a tard. I don't blame him for running out of state if that was his other option.

Than the kid is not someone we would have wanted around. Anyone who would rather go to Iowa State for anything outside of AGRICULTURE 101 is a tard. I don't blame him for running out of state if that was his other option.

Uhmmm, he had any option he wanted in state.

Ask this of the players on Iowa that aren't from Iowa. You can't have it both ways.

What player from Iowa has turned down a scholarship from a Major Conference within their state to play for the Hawkeyes? Cully Payne had no chance at Illinois, Tucker is playing within his state of MN at Winona. Who? Who does Iowa have who turned down a Div 1 school within their home state?

Uhmmm, he had any option he wanted in state.

IF, as the poster suggested to begin with... that Barnes was so opinionated from relatives and such on Iowa State being the college he was going to attend IF he stayed in state... I don't blame him for leaving the state. Wouldn't you in the same situation? Unless you had a framed picture of Johnny Orr proudly displayed in your bedroom... than playing for ISU sounds great! You could be the next Lafester Rhodes!

Last edited:
What became of that CAT Lafester Rhodes who went off on Iowa with Jesse Jackson watching?

Googled the answer... he is a bum.

Lafester's choice: Iowa State. Coach Johnny Orr had flown to Memphis, where, says Lafester's mother Elsie, "he made two promises -- that he would graduate and that he would play pro ball." Lafester did neither. Today Elsie is bitter. She feels Iowa State did not keep its word. "My momma talks about it - every day," says Lafester, who after five years left Iowa State a few credits short of a degree in family and consumer science. He took twelve hours of classes, but often put in 20 hours of practice a week.

Read more: Education: College Sport...Foul! - TIME