Roy vs Devyn & Future of Iowa Hoops

JonDMiller

Publisher/Founder
I was 14 years old when Roy Marble first took the court for the Iowa Hawkeyes. He remains one of my all time favorite Hawkeyes and is arguably the most dynamic player to wear an Iowa uniform since he took the court.

If you didn't get a chance to watch him play, he came into the college game at the start of the Jordan Revolution.

Marble's senior year of high school was Jordan's first year in the NBA. Jordan averaged 28.2 points per game that season which was the third highest average in the league but he scored more points than any other player.

Jordan's statement in the NBA was preceded by two consecutive national player of the year awards in the college game, where he turned pro after his junior season, a move formerly referred to as a 'hardship' decision.

Roy Marble was never Michael Jordan the college player, but he's the closest thing Iowa has had to Jordan. Marble scored more points for Iowa during his senior year than Jordan scored for North Carolina in his junior year, by the way.

Marble was often referred to as 'Baby Jordan' when he played for Iowa, and there was usually at least one Jordan reference in each Iowa telecast.

As we take a look at the statistics of father and son (Devyn Marble), I want to be sure that I am not saying Devyn is Roy or Roy is Devyn or Devyn will be Roy at some point in time.

However, the play of Devyn Marble this season prompted me to go back and pull the stats of the father to show alongside those of the son just to see what there is to see, if for no other reason than my own edification.

This piece is going to go in a few different directions and if anything is just indicative of the excitement that surrounds the Iowa basketball program right now, which has people looking towards the future with excitement instead of trepidation.

DEVYN MARBLE

DevynStats.jpg

ROY MARBLE

RoyStats.jpg

(graphics from http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/)

Roy's 399 points as a freshman were an Iowa record at the time. That mark has since been eclipsed by Jess Settles, Tyler Smith and Ricky Davis (464). Devyn's freshman season was nowhere near his father's, but Devyn also turned 18 years old in September of his freshman year, a year where most of his peers turned 19.

Devyn's emergence this year has been remarkable and he still has a great deal of room for growth.

So far this season, Devyn is averaging 11.15 points per game. Roy averaged 14.8 during his sophomore year on a team that was flat out loaded with future NBA talent and remains one of the three best teams in Iowa basketball history.

Devyn takes better care of the ball than his father did as a sophomore and also passes it around more. Roy had an assist to turnover ratio of nearly 1 to 1 where Devyn's number is presently 2.5 to 1.

Devyn is on pace to score 357 points this season (31 regular season games and counting the guaranteed one Big Ten tournament game). He has an outside shot at scoring 400 if Iowa can make a run in the Big Ten tournament and receives an invitation for a post season tournament.

The site these stats came from, sports-reference.com, has an error in Roy's field goal percentage number. When I saw what was listed, I didn't believe it and cross checked it against Iowa's records. He had 357 field goal attempts, not the 257 that are listed above. That makes his field goal percentage .557 for that season and .539 for his career.

It's also interesting to note that Roy attempted just 14 three-point shots in his sophomore year and then only nine as a junior; Roy's game was all about attacking the rim.

Devyn Marble is also excelling on the defensive end, on pass to have far more steals than his father had as a sophomore. This is surprising given the style of play Iowa employed in 1986-1987, which was all about full court pressure. Then again, the Hawks played a lot of half court zone defense back then, too. But Devyn has been doing great work on the defensive end in addition to handling the ball in a point guard role this year. Roy was the classic 1980's 'three' player, in a league that was full of some of the best in Big Ten history. Dennis Hopson of Ohio State, Glen Rice of Michigan, Keith Smart of Indiana, Kenny Battle of Indiana and others.

Again, this is hardly any sort of scientific look and done mostly for fun as Iowa has a multi-generational tandem to look at. Comparisons are as much a part of sports as anything I can think of.

LOOKING AHEAD

Devyn Marble is not going to have the kind of prolific statistical career that his father had. He won't be a part of as many successful teams as his father was.

However, Devyn has a chance to be a very, very good player. A better point guard than Bill Jones was for Iowa in the late 1980's. Jones was another lanky player; 6-7 and never 200-pounds.

Devyn continues to gain more confidence as a point guard and there have been instances where he has reminded me of his father, those times where he is flat out 'feeling it' and sizes up his opponent off the dribble, knowing he is better, knowing he can get off his shot and doing so in a number of ways.

The 'playmaker' in Devyn is starting to emerge and that might be the biggest thing to watch if we can ever make any sort of realistic comparison to father and son.

Roy was a cornerstone piece in the Mr. Davis Davis Hawkeye basketball revolution. Devyn is going to be a cornerstone piece in the Fran McCaffery Iowa basketball revitalization. The father was a joy to watch and the son is growing into the same.

Roy didn't change all that much after his sophomore season. He arrived with a lot of skill and it was a green light situation from the start.

Devyn came to Iowa as a high-major project, and the need for him to handle the point this year due to an early season injury to Bryce Cartwright may turn to be an enormous blessing in disguise.

I felt Marble having to spend time at the point would take away from his overall development as a wing, a notion that may go down as one of my worst ever predictions. You have to expect Marble to be your point guard for the next two years, which will allow Mike Gesell to come in and play some minutes at point and also get some minutes at the shooting guard position.

Iowa will have several interchangeable backcourt parts next year, but Marble is becoming very comfortable at point and very effective. It will be hard to move him out of that position and probably unwise; there aren't a lot of 6-6 point guards in the Big Ten.

Do you think it's possible that Devyn could grow into being a better basketball player as a senior than his father was? That's likely too much to expect as Roy averaged 20.45/game as a senior and was a 1st round NBA draft pick.

But Devyn could approach that level of value for his team given what he can do from the point guard position. He won't have 18.6 (BJ Armstrong) & 18.3 (Ed Horton) points per game scorers to his left and right, but could he be leading a better team than his dad was a part of during his senior year?

When I begin to imagine Devyn Marble, Mel Basable and Zach McCabe as seniors, Aaron White, Josh Oglesby and Gabe Olaseni as juniors along with Gesell, Adam Woodbury and the rest of this year's recruiting class as sophomores heading into the 2013-2014 season, that brings a smile to my face.

The 1988-1989 Hawkeyes were 22-9 in the regular season, 10-8 in Big Ten play. They entered the NCAA tournament ranked 14th in the nation and had a ranking as high as 4th after starting the season 13-0. They beat Rutgers in the opening round of the NCAA tournament before falling to NC State 102-96 in double overtime in the 2nd round.

You had the 'Big Three' I have already mentioned, along with Matt Bullard who averaged just over nine points per game then Les Jepsen was next at 4.2 points per game. Iowa also had Ray Thompson and his 357 points scored as a freshman that year, but they did not have his services in the NCAA tournament as he was ruled ineligible by Iowa's standards but eligible by Big Ten and NCAA standards. Yeah, that one still ticks me off.

I am going to bookmark this item and revisit it in a couple of years and 'compare' these two teams...the 1988-1989 Hawkeyes to the 2013-2014 Hawkeyes. One Marble will have led the way 25 years earlier and another is going to be leading the way 25 years later.

Last edited:
and in advance, I know I went all over the place with this...it started out as something to look at their stats side by side, but then I started going deeper into the 1988-1989 season and thought about the makeup of that team to what we might see in a few years...so sorry for the ramble, but hope its enjoyable.

It is funny you mentioned Jordan. The shot Marble made at halftime against Michigan was a Jordan type shot.

Great write up Jon!
I must say your 12-0 prediction for 2010 Iowa football is currently your worst prediction :) Just sayin

Great write up Jon!
I must say your 12-0 prediction for 2010 Iowa football is currently your worst prediction :) Just sayin

Yes, and it's going to take something momentous to top that. It might not be possible actually...that was a five game miss, plus bonus penalties for predicting perfection. I really don't know that I can top that one.

don't beat yourself up on the 12-0 prediction. No way anyone would have guessed the D would get so winded. If someone said Stanzi have the year he did and his cut down on picks, I think it is safe to say most people would have said they would easily be 11-1 if not 12-0.

This exercise rekindled my anger towards former Iowa Pres Hunter Rawlings. Removing Thompson from that team, a team that could have made a run at a Final Four, still ticks me off.

Rawlings was also saying at the time that he wanted to return to the era where freshmen were ineligible, and said that he might just make that the case at Iowa even if the other Big Ten schools didn't do it...but as you can read in this old item, 'incoming' Big Ten commish Delany was also for it

Freshmen Stand To Lose Eligibility At Iowa - Chicago Tribune

That never happened, obviously, and never will

Yes, and it's going to take something momentous to top that. It might not be possible actually...that was a five game miss, plus bonus penalties for predicting perfection. I really don't know that I can top that one.

Eh I don't blame you for that one Jon. Even with all of the injuries we were only an underdog in what, just one game I think?

This exercise rekindled my anger towards former Iowa Pres Hunter Rawlings. Removing Thompson from that team, a team that could have made a run at a Final Four, still ticks me off.

Rawlings was also saying at the time that he wanted to return to the era where freshmen were ineligible, and said that he might just make that the case at Iowa even if the other Big Ten schools didn't do it...but as you can read in this old item, 'incoming' Big Ten commish Delany was also for it

Freshmen Stand To Lose Eligibility At Iowa - Chicago Tribune

That never happened, obviously, and never will

There is a good write up on this in Hayden's High Porch Pinic, Hayden goes off. Classic.

Seeing as how we were tied or had the lead late in the 4th quarter of every game, I'm not sure it was that crazy of a prediction.

Back to the real point of the thread... I was a little worried when Devyn got tied up by a Purdue defender on the first possession of the game. Yes, it sounds cool to have a 6'6" point guard, but you're also sacrificing some quickness and ball-handling skill. I'm guessing we'll see some interesting lineups next year with Dev sliding between the 1 and the 3. Fran has shown he's not married to any one particular look, which is good-- you can't hammer guys into positions they aren't suited for, and we really just need to get as many quality guys on the floor as possible.

Roy was pure athlete. Body by Fisher,as they used to say in auto commercials.
Devyn will never quite have the body of his dad,but he has a bit more finesse,better ball skills, and might even be a bit longer.
If Devyn stops growing and starts retaining a bit more muscle, he might just have an NBA body by his senior year.
His maturation is very impressive. From his PTL performances,I expected him to shoot better,but the improvement of the rest of his game was hard to gauge from PTL.

I was not on board with him at pg either,but now, I am starting to think he might need to stay there. He has really had good ball security overall,altho the made a huge turnover the other nite vs Purdue when they were scrambling back into the game late,down 2,and he came down court in transition way too fast,tried a spin move,and had it easily knocked away and stolen...it was pivotable point in the comeback. But,overall,he really handles well for such a tall guy...the picture above illustrates why...he really bends over and keeps a low dribble,so less chance of a swipe.
I could see starting him at pg next year and bringing Gesell off the bench to spell him with Gesell still getting a good 20 minutes a game. As we see with Aaron White, frosh often do not have college-level stamina, thru a long season,so a bit of coddling is good.

The craziest stat on Roy is his 3pt% his senior year - shot almost 40%.
I would have lost a bet on that number on a quiz.

Spank- Nice prediction on the development of Marble and Basabe's careers!

A small minority here sided with you and Im guessing nobody thought it would happen halfway through their sophomore seasons.

storminspank= elite Iowa basketball mind

another thing to remember Roy never had to played pg in his career like Devyn has, once he can move to the 2 or 3 his scoring will go up, as for 3 pt shooting he has taken 19 and made 6 for 30% thats less than 1 3 per game, and for as much as he handles the ball that show how much restraint he has in shooting and is still 2nd on the team at 11.2 ppg,
and he has the ball skills to make a very good running mate for Gesell or Clemmons at the pt, which will cover for the growing pains their freshmen season, not to mention the height mismatch he creates at the 2.

the mismatches in the lineup will be a solid upgrade over anything we have seen in a long time.
we could see a lineup of this at some point during a game

PG 6'2 Gesell
SG 6'6 Marble
SF 6'8 White
PF 6'10 Meyer
7'1 Woodbury

Meyer has shown in recent videos his ability to run the floor and handle the ball
this is not the starting 5 but it is a very real lineup during the game

Seeing as how we were tied or had the lead late in the 4th quarter of every game, I'm not sure it was that crazy of a prediction.

Back to the real point of the thread... I was a little worried when Devyn got tied up by a Purdue defender on the first possession of the game. Yes, it sounds cool to have a 6'6" point guard, but you're also sacrificing some quickness and ball-handling skill. I'm guessing we'll see some interesting lineups next year with Dev sliding between the 1 and the 3. Fran has shown he's not married to any one particular look, which is good-- you can't hammer guys into positions they aren't suited for, and we really just need to get as many quality guys on the floor as possible.

I think Roy did a decent job with Jackson on him...in that first four minutes to start the game, Jackson was all over him...which is why that first four minutes on the road are always so important, just like the first few possessions in a football game, because the home team is running on more energy than the visiting team. I think as the game went on, Marble got more comfortable, took better shots and did a good job. Jackson is probably one of the best defending point guards on the team.

I thought at that time that Cartwright was probably gonna be better at the point on the night, and even tweeted it. But Marble settled down

I like Devyn and I'm thrilled by his progress, but I'm not sure he would have averaged more than a few points a game as a sophomore on that Final 8 team (when Roy averaged 14 and change).

Roy, B.J. and Kevin Gamble would have still been the starters. Jeff Moe might have been the best three point shooter in the conference and I recall one of the national commentators saying he was the nation's best 6th man. Bill Jones was a heady senior (I think), who could bring the ball up the court and offered better defense than Devyn does.

God, we were stacked for guards and swing players. Thanks for bringing back the great memories.

Hopefully Devyn can develop into a poor man's Jalen Rose.

Devyn's current pace for his sophmore year

32 games
870.4 min

123.2 FGM
289.6 FGA

9.6 3PM
30.4 3PA

100.8 FTM
142.4 FTA

116.8 TRB

107.2 APG
48 STL

14.4 BLK
43.2 TOV

57.6 PF
356 PPG

I don't think comparing them straight up does Devyn justice. Comparing them on offensive possessions could clarify how much of an effect each ha(d/s) in the flow of the game.

I made each assist 2 points because points were scored, even though they didn't score them, DM and RM had a direct impact with the assist on the offensive possession. I didn't include points made on the FT line because those were points scored outside of the flow of the game. Also, I figured points per minutes was the best base since they haven't played in the same number of games let alone the same number of minutes per game.

RM
Freshman - 0.44 ppm
Sophomore - 0.57 ppm
Junior - 0.54 ppm
Senior - 0.63 ppm

DM
Freshman - 0.38 ppm
Sophomore - 0.54 ppm

As you can see both had a big jump in effectiveness between there Fresh and Soph years with Devyn so far having the bigger jump. It looks like DM is well on his way to becoming something special.

I may be wrong but I think starting next year you've seen the last of Devyn starting at PG. He may play it some but I think the keys will be handed to Gesell much like they were for Deano.

Latest posts