Rough day for a couple former Hawks

Kirksey will catch on elsewhere. Des King is getting a little age for an NFL DB, he might not be an attractive free agent.

Kirksey's move sounded like a complete salary decision to cut $$$, especially if the hamstring is going to linger. He'll get picked up.

I saw a report that the Chiefs traded ISM to the Panthers. Damn I wanted to see him catch some balls from Mahommes. The trade was swapping to late picks, so not exactly a blockbuster trade. But, it suggests that both sides think ISM is an NFL guy, but the Chiefs don't have WR space and the Panthers do I guess.

King is getting long in the tooth. If you are not a superstar, at that age they look for younger, cheaper talent to replace you. I suspect he lands somewhere as injuries start to hit teams the first couple weeks.

Tyler Goodson is struggling to stay on the 53 man roster. Shoulder injury. He seems destined for the practice squad again. Pack may keep only 2 RB’s! Crazy.

From what I can see, the following were cut. Obviously some will find new homes within the next couple of days if they haven't already.

Seth Benson
Ike Boettger
Coy Cronk
Dominique Daffney
James Ferentz
Tyler Goodson
Matt Hankins
Jack Heflin
Parker Hesse
Jaleel Johnson
Greg Mabin
Ben Niemann
Michael Ojemudia
Barrington Wade
Kristian Welch

Tyler Goodson is struggling to stay on the 53 man roster. Shoulder injury. He seems destined for the practice squad again. Pack may keep only 2 RB’s! Crazy.
I continue to be surprised by TG's lack of success. Seems like the perfect back on 3rd and 5.

Goodson was making some real progress before he got hurt, so some of it is just bad luck. He had really worked on pass-pro and his receiving, and the Packers had started to use him extensively in a "gadget" role.

If not for the shoulder injury, I think there is a good chance he would have stuck, but hard to say. The Packers emphasize ability on ST with their 3rd RB choice, and he hadn't really carved out a solid role there when the injury occurred. Either way, he'll no doubt end up on someone's practice squad.

I continue to be surprised by TG's lack of success. Seems like the perfect back on 3rd and 5.
I'm not really surprised as he wasn't a complete back before he jumped to the pros. They don't do a lot of development in the pros. Small back without great pass catching skills.

I saw a report that the Chiefs traded ISM to the Panthers. Damn I wanted to see him catch some balls from Mahommes. The trade was swapping to late picks, so not exactly a blockbuster trade. But, it suggests that both sides think ISM is an NFL guy, but the Chiefs don't have WR space and the Panthers do I guess.
Probaby wasn't going to be a top three with a team like the Chiefs, but his preseason (discussed in another thread) earned him a shot with another team.

Problem is he's on his fourth team in three years. This may be his last.

Other Hawks to get the bad news included, but was not limited to, Matt Hankins, Michael Ojemudea, Jack Heflin, Barrington Wade and Parker Hesse.

From what I can see, the following were cut. Obviously some will find new homes within the next couple of days if they haven't already.

Seth Benson
Ike Boettger
Coy Cronk
Dominique Daffney
James Ferentz
Tyler Goodson
Matt Hankins
Jack Heflin
Parker Hesse
Jaleel Johnson
Greg Mabin
Ben Niemann
Michael Ojemudia
Barrington Wade
Kristian Welch
Goodson shoulda picked a different team to go to GB he just wasn't ever going to crack the top 3 without injuries ahead of him. Hope he finds a spot cause he can play

Kirksey and King were victims of how much they make. The guys replacing them aren't as good as they are but they come at less then half the price. For a team that's not gonna threaten to make the playoffs that's all that matters to them.

Iowa just has a lot of borderline guys Most of them will make practice squads and when teams start having injuries some will get another shot. Brutal business though.

Des King was starting for the Texans in pre-season which suggests King was cut for salary reasons, not necessarily because he is washed up.

The key to lasting in the NFL, of course, is staying healthy and not losing a step, and not having a high salary, which is not an easy combo. But it seems like you see more DB's last longer than linemen or RB'S in the NFL. But if you have border-line talent and lose a step, yes, you will get cut for the cheap rookie.

I'm not really surprised as he wasn't a complete back before he jumped to the pros. They don't do a lot of development in the pros. Small back without great pass catching skills.
He's not super-fast by NFL standards but he did have good catching skills. But you are right, the NFL does not really work hard on the diamond in the rough. They just find a cheaper or better finished ring.

Latest posts