Rotation without CJ

Programs that tend to be short on talent (Read Iowa here) really get into trouble when the inevitable injuries begin to pile up. This could go sideways pretty quickly.

This roster (Less Garza) is beginning to remind me of some of those dark Tom Davis years when it was Iowa against men, who could run and shoot. Not a pretty sight.

I am not sure how the talent compares to the Lickliter and Alford eras, since I didn't watch it much then, too many sad things in life to self-inflict such pain.

If Evelyn and Kriener are being called upon to be scoring options, well, that's not a good picture, it seems.

I think we need to ride the JT Train, come what may, he does have talent and is competitive. And ride the USS Garza, he will compete until he drops.

I would also try to get a shooting coach on Connor 3-4 hours a day. He can shoot free throws, well. Iowa can't survive with such a good player, statistically in most areas, being a zero threat.

Programs that tend to be short on talent (Read Iowa here) really get into trouble when the inevitable injuries begin to pile up. This could go sideways pretty quickly.

This roster (Less Garza) is beginning to remind me of some of those dark Tom Davis years when it was Iowa against men, who could run and shoot. Not a pretty sight.

I am not sure how the talent compares to the Lickliter and Alford eras, since I didn't watch it much then, too many sad things in life to self-inflict such pain.

If Evelyn and Kriener are being called upon to be scoring options, well, that's not a good picture, it seems.

I think we need to ride the JT Train, come what may, he does have talent and is competitive. And ride the USS Garza, he will compete until he drops.

I would also try to get a shooting coach on Connor 3-4 hours a day. He can shoot free throws, well. Iowa can't survive with such a good player, statistically in most areas, being a zero threat.
This is such a bad take. No team in the country could handle the type of attrition Iowa has had this year. Not one single team.

We lost our 3rd year starting PG, we lost our starting power forward, we had to redshirt a top 100 recruit, and our starting shooting guard who was headed for Freshman all league and maybe honorable mention all league has missed time and is now set to miss more. That doesn’t even take into account losing Cook early and having Moss transfer out. The amount of talent Fran had around the program these last two years is actually quite incredible.

This is such a bad take. No team in the country could handle the type of attrition Iowa has had this year. Not one single team.

We lost our 3rd year starting PG, we lost our starting power forward, we had to redshirt a top 100 recruit, and our starting shooting guard who was headed for Freshman all league and maybe honorable mention all league has missed time and is now set to miss more. That doesn’t even take into account losing Cook early and having Moss transfer out. The amount of talent Fran had around the program these last two years is actually quite incredible.
Incredible is a pretty big word to describe Iowa's talent. It is perhaps more accurate to say that the talent level is nearing a Big Ten roster, capable of more than average. That said, the injuries are challenging for sure. The "go to" guys that are now on the burner are not "go to" guys. They are fillers.

Just imagine if all we did was give Evelyn's minutes to Bohannon, Pemsl's minutes to Nunge, and Till's minutes to Patrick. That is a huge upgrade that probably has us 1st in the conference right now with wins over Penn State, Nebraska, and Indiana almost for sure, and who knows how many others. Just typing this post makes me realize just how certain it is that we would be either the best team in the conference hands down, or at the very least arguably the best team.
Why a post about next year in this thread?

Incredible is a pretty big word to describe Iowa's talent. It is perhaps more accurate to say that the talent level is nearing a Big Ten roster, capable of more than average. That said, the injuries are challenging for sure. The "go to" guys that are now on the burner are not "go to" guys. They are fillers.

Got to disagree with you completely here. To get this far into the season with the injuries they've had and still put up the numbers in the win column that they have up to this point is incredible. Whether you feel they are deep enough to weather the storm at this point is beside the point, but with where they are at this point in the season and what they've lost along the way to say "the talent level is nearing a big ten roster, capable of more than average" is weak at best.

Based on your logic I'm assuming that you take away 4 starters/key reserves off any team in the country they'll compete night in and night out in the deepest conference in the country without missing a beat or taking a step back in terms of production? But you're absolutely right about Garza and Wieskamp not being go to guys (Heavy sarcasm).

Got to disagree with you completely here. To get this far into the season with the injuries they've had and still put up the numbers in the win column that they have up to this point is incredible. Whether you feel they are deep enough to weather the storm at this point is beside the point, but with where they are at this point in the season and what they've lost along the way to say "the talent level is nearing a big ten roster, capable of more than average" is weak at best.

Based on your logic I'm assuming that you take away 4 starters/key reserves off any team in the country they'll compete night in and night out in the deepest conference in the country without missing a beat or taking a step back in terms of production? But you're absolutely right about Garza and Wieskamp not being go to guys (Heavy sarcasm).
What I said was, "I would not consider Iowa's talent to be incredible."

I agree that Iowa's results, with all the injuries, have been pretty incredible, to this point. As stated, my concern is we are getting down to the bottom of our roster and expecting some of them, marginal players, to be "go to" guys just isn't that logical. Perhaps we will push on to many more wins and a Final Four, that would be incredible.

Hopefully, with the depleted ranks, Luka can rack up some huge numbers.

What I said was, "I would not consider Iowa's talent to be incredible."

I agree that Iowa's results, with all the injuries, have been pretty incredible, to this point. As stated, my concern is we are getting down to the bottom of our roster and expecting some of them, marginal players, to be "go to" guys just isn't that logical. Perhaps we will push on to many more wins and a Final Four, that would be incredible.

Hopefully, with the depleted ranks, Luka can rack up some huge numbers.
And that’s the point you are missing. No team in the country has their 11th, 12th, and 13th guys who are ready to step in and contribute at high levels. You can’t hit on every scholarship guy, and even if you did in today’s world of transfers you’d just lose those guys due to lack of play time.

Iowa has had unprecedented bad injury luck this year. Despite that they are currently ranked in the top 25. Questioning their talent level given those two factors is a bad take.

From what I've seen, I can't see any harm in Ash getting some minutes. He's a big drop-off defensively from Fredrick, but with CMac and Toussant being terrible outside shooters, you've just got to play someone in addition to Garza and Weezy who can actually shoot the ball. Iowa seems to be playing almost exclusively match-up zone now, so that will mask Ash's defensive deficiencies. I will say this: if the Hawks get to 10-10 in the BTen this year, it will be Fran's best coaching job thus far. And ironically, it will have been because of circumstances forced upon him rather than organizing the team the way he'd prefer.

Ash did OK last night. There were times that he was in his Spot and open that the ball should have been passed to him

There were a few times each and every game that JoeW is open temporarily, early in the possession, in his Spot and the ball is immediately passed to the other side of the court

It is frustrating to see. Timely passes when a shooter is ipen and in place are one of the most important aspects of playing the point

I think Ash will be alright but we have to take advantage of his sniper aspect

Give him a chance. We usually have only 2 scorers on the floor. The other three can be somewhat overlooked giving the opponent the ability to double-team Luka and JoeW

Going to be a hard ride the rest of the season. Would have been difficult With Freddy, now it is much more so

:cool:

Ash did OK last night. There were times that he was in his Spot and open that the ball should have been passed to him

There were a few times each and every game that JoeW is open temporarily, early in the possession, in his Spot and the ball is immediately passed to the other side of the court

It is frustrating to see. Timely passes when a shooter is ipen and in place are one of the most important aspects of playing the point

I think Ash will be alright but we have to take advantage of his sniper aspect

Give him a chance. We usually have only 2 scorers on the floor. The other three can be somewhat overlooked giving the opponent the ability to double-team Luka and JoeW

Going to be a hard ride the rest of the season. Would have been difficult With Freddy, now it is much more so

Hope you are onto something with Ash. He just might have a game or two in him where he does to a team what always gets done to us. The great unknown player playing unconscious and kicking ass. I'd settle for one game like that out of him, might get us a W.

Whatever transpires I am sure this team isn't throwing in the towel and I am looking forward to watching it play out. Kind of like watching Rocky 1, gonna have to kill em if ya want them to quit. If guys just play up to their abilities we are still gonna win our share. And the good news is CJ may get back in time to help make a decent run in the tourney, so it ain't over till the final buzzer sounds!

9 times out of 10 I don't even know what thread I'm posting in. I just read a post and it makes me think of a response. In general tho, I'm pumped about next year and enjoy talking about it.
Just messing with you. What could have been this year is what should be next year.

We beat Maryland without CJ. I still think we win the home games and have an outside chance at MN Sunday. It will help to get some practice time with the new shorter rotation. Guys should start to figure it out by our next home game. I think Fran should be BT COY if we get to 11-9 in the conference.

Pat Chambers or Steve Pikiell--maybe both--should be clearing their shelves for the B1G COY trophy.

9 times out of 10 I don't even know what thread I'm posting in. I just read a post and it makes me think of a response. In general tho, I'm pumped about next year and enjoy talking about it.
Is JBO going to have surgery?

Hope you are onto something with Ash. He just might have a game or two in him where he does to a team what always gets done to us. The great unknown player playing unconscious and kicking ass. I'd settle for one game like that out of him, might get us a W.

Whatever transpires I am sure this team isn't throwing in the towel and I am looking forward to watching it play out. Kind of like watching Rocky 1, gonna have to kill em if ya want them to quit. If guys just play up to their abilities we are still gonna win our share. And the good news is CJ may get back in time to help make a decent run in the tourney, so it ain't over till the final buzzer sounds!

I hope so also. We have to find someone besides Luka and JoeW, and, on occasion, Connor to score, otherwise we will have to play outrageous D

Ash has a nice shot, which looks somewhat awkward but he appears to be accurate at the end of games. It remains to be seen if he can score with the heat on

He should be given a chance to prove whether or not he can be relied on

Riley Till did alright at Indiana but he needs to settle down on shooting the ball. He is capable but seems to forct the issue. If he can play offence with more control that would be very helpful

It is essential to find another scorer with Freddy out

However, even with a healthy Freddy it was going to be very tough to win on the road nearing the end of the season, especially this year

We simply Have to win 2 of our 3 games remaining at Carver

Next up, Minnesota at their house

Another essential: Luka has to be on the floor without being hampered by foul trouble

Connor needs to use his size and get into the paint to shoot 5 times a game now.

Toussaint is a high risk high reward player. He's not quite good enough to justify playing that way and not quite bad enough to make him stop. What we need is for him to have a couple games where he makes an unusually high amount of plays with fewer mistakes, then be ok with the law of averages killing us a couple times. That's our best chance to get 2 wins. His average play just won't cut it yet. We need good Joe T to get a couple wins, then get blown out with bad Joe T.

Connor could help by taking it inside if the refs call the fouls he is taking

He also needs to shoot the three before he is completely covered with a defender hanging on him

Apparently we can't rely on the zebras calling obvious fouls on our opponents

However at the other end of the floor tough fouls are a serious infraction

The Big announcers and analysist appear to be gleeful at the Hawk slide

Latest posts