Joe T - 28
Wieskamp - 34
Cmac - 32
Kriener - 24
Garza - 34

Evelyn - 22
Pemsl - 18
Till - 8

I think you put Kriener in the starting lineup. That way you still have one guard coming off the bench.

Fran is going to have to trust Joe Toussaint more and let him play through some bad plays. We are going to give up some on offense but Toussaint is pretty solid on defense. Maybe let Connor initiate some offense to limit Toussaint turnovers. Evelyn will play both the one and two spots and has to make himself a threat to shoot an outside shot.

Pemsl needs to step up with more minutes and Kriener needs to play like he’s capable.

The goal should be to win two games the rest of the way, with the best chances probably the home games.

Joe T - 28
Wieskamp - 34
Cmac - 32
Kriener - 24
Garza - 34

Evelyn - 22
Pemsl - 18
Till - 8

I think you put Kriener in the starting lineup. That way you still have one guard coming off the bench.

Fran is going to have to trust Joe Toussaint more and let him play through some bad plays. We are going to give up some on offense but Toussaint is pretty solid on defense. Maybe let Connor initiate some offense to limit Toussaint turnovers. Evelyn will play both the one and two spots and has to make himself a threat to shoot an outside shot.

Pemsl needs to step up with more minutes and Kriener needs to play like he’s capable.

The goal should be to win two games the rest of the way, with the best chances probably the home games.

Yeah, we have no choice but to live with JT at this point. He's not ready to handle the extended work load. That's apparently obvious from watching the games but at this point I agree that he's better then the alternative. I bet his minutes aren't quite that high tho.

I should also add we need to slow down our tempo. We don’t have the firepower to play into the high 70s and 80s right now. Slow the game down and hope the efficiency of Garza and Wieskamp is enough. Need the games to be in the 60s or 70s at this point.

Jesus, 22 minutes of Evelyn and 18 of Pemsl. That's absolutely brutal. But I don't know that there's an alternative. I'd rather see Ash for like 10 of that, but I don't think anyone agrees.

The biggest concern I had last night, regardless of minutes is where are the shots going to come from. We cannot expect Garza or Wieskamp to be the only players on the floor taking shots. Evelyn and Connor, IMO looked like scoring (or shooting for that matter) weren't even an afterthought last night. Ash and Till looked appeared to be looking to take more shots last night and I find that very alarming. I'm in no way, shape, or form giving up on this team but am very concerned.

Jesus, 22 minutes of Evelyn and 18 of Pemsl. That's absolutely brutal. But I don't know that there's an alternative. I'd rather see Ash for like 10 of that, but I don't think anyone agrees.
I think we should definitely give Ash 10 minutes a game at home. When he gets knocked 10 feet in the air, the refs will have to call a foul since the crowd will be booing. On the road, not so much.

I should also add we need to slow down our tempo. We don’t have the firepower to play into the high 70s and 80s right now. Slow the game down and hope the efficiency of Garza and Wieskamp is enough. Need the games to be in the 60s or 70s at this point.

The biggest problem with slowing down is Garza is do good at beating his guy down the floor to the spot he wants. I agree that its the best option tho.

Yeah, we have no choice but to live with JT at this point. He's not ready to handle the extended work load. That's apparently obvious from watching the games but at this point I agree that he's better then the alternative. I bet his minutes aren't quite that high tho.
If Fran goes with the starting 5 I predict we are going to just have to change our style a bit. Our strength there will be our size. Post Kriener on a smaller guy. Wieskamp should get some nice posts.

Toussaint to me just needs to initiate the offense. Get it started and move. Pass and go to the corner. That’s why I said I don’t mind Cmac having more usage with the ball in his hand. Toussaint pick and rolls are so clunky because his defender sags so far in. He should play like Jamari Wheeler on Penn State. Don’t shoot unless it’s the end of the shot clock, pass and move and lock your man up on defense. If you get a chance in transition go get a bucket, he’s actually more gifted on offense than Wheeler is. I really think Joe T can handle it, he’s had really good games, he needs to play smarter and we need to have smarter game plans.

The biggest problem with slowing down is Garza is do good at beating his guy down the floor to the spot he wants. I agree that its the best option tho.
Can still run if it’s there for an easy one, but if not pull it out and use clock. We don’t need Toussaint and Kriener jacking shots early in the shot clock though. That’s bad business.

The biggest concern I had last night, regardless of minutes is where are the shots going to come from. We cannot expect Garza or Wieskamp to be the only players on the floor taking shots. Evelyn and Connor, IMO looked like scoring (or shooting for that matter) weren't even an afterthought last night. Ash and Till looked appeared to be looking to take more shots last night and I find that very alarming. I'm in no way, shape, or form giving up on this team but am very concerned.
It’s hard in a single game to change that when a guy goes down with injury. Connor and Evelyn are smart enough players to know they are going to have to pick up some scoring. Kriener needs to get back to scoring the ball as well and he’s capable.

Connor needs to use his size and get into the paint to shoot 5 times a game now.

Toussaint is a high risk high reward player. He's not quite good enough to justify playing that way and not quite bad enough to make him stop. What we need is for him to have a couple games where he makes an unusually high amount of plays with fewer mistakes, then be ok with the law of averages killing us a couple times. That's our best chance to get 2 wins. His average play just won't cut it yet. We need good Joe T to get a couple wins, then get blown out with bad Joe T.

When Evelyn shoots, it looks like he is shooting because he knows he's suppose to, not because he wants to. He looks like he is just throwing it at the hoop.

When Evelyn shoots, it looks like he is shooting because he knows he's suppose to, not because he wants to. He looks like he is just throwing it at the hoop.
Which is crazy considering he averaged over 8.5 shot attempts per game his previous two seasons. Let it fly with confidence BE.

From what I've seen, I can't see any harm in Ash getting some minutes. He's a big drop-off defensively from Fredrick, but with CMac and Toussant being terrible outside shooters, you've just got to play someone in addition to Garza and Weezy who can actually shoot the ball. Iowa seems to be playing almost exclusively match-up zone now, so that will mask Ash's defensive deficiencies. I will say this: if the Hawks get to 10-10 in the BTen this year, it will be Fran's best coaching job thus far. And ironically, it will have been because of circumstances forced upon him rather than organizing the team the way he'd prefer.

I think we should definitely give Ash 10 minutes a game at home. When he gets knocked 10 feet in the air, the refs will have to call a foul since the crowd will be booing. On the road, not so much.
tenor.gif

From what I've seen, I can't see any harm in Ash getting some minutes. He's a big drop-off defensively from Fredrick, but with CMac and Toussant being terrible outside shooters, you've just got to play someone in addition to Garza and Weezy who can actually shoot the ball. Iowa seems to be playing almost exclusively match-up zone now, so that will mask Ash's defensive deficiencies. I will say this: if the Hawks get to 10-10 in the BTen this year, it will be Fran's best coaching job thus far. And ironically, it will have been because of circumstances forced upon him rather than organizing the team the way he'd prefer.

I get the argument that a shorter rotation is better, but there is almost no doubt we would be a better team with every guy ready and available. If our other guys were available, Pemsl, Evelyn, and to an extent Joe T's play would have forced Fran's hand anyway. The 11 man rotations were a product of guys 6-11 being the exact same good. That would be far from the case this year. We would still have an 8 or 9 man rotation. Depending on how good Patrick is.

Just imagine if all we did was give Evelyn's minutes to Bohannon, Pemsl's minutes to Nunge, and Till's minutes to Patrick. That is a huge upgrade that probably has us 1st in the conference right now with wins over Penn State, Nebraska, and Indiana almost for sure, and who knows how many others. Just typing this post makes me realize just how certain it is that we would be either the best team in the conference hands down, or at the very least arguably the best team.

Joe T - 28
Wieskamp - 34
Cmac - 32
Kriener - 24
Garza - 34

Evelyn - 22
Pemsl - 18
Till - 8

Best minute distribution for this group:
Joe T- 40
Wieskamp - 40
Cmac - 40
Kriener - 40
Garza - 40

Evelyn for foul trouble and injuries.

Best minute distribution for this group:
Joe T- 40
Wieskamp - 40
Cmac - 40
Kriener - 40
Garza - 40

Evelyn for foul trouble and injuries.
I like it. Go big or go home.

You think Marines in Iwo Jima needed less minutes when they started getting outflanked at the Quarry?

For you communists out there who flunked history or don't like to read, F no they didn't.

Last edited:

Latest posts