Roster breakdown

AustinMNHawk

No new roster yet so there could obviously be changes. Also, guys in yellow are simply listed at 2 weights and the one in yellow is the heavier of the two listed. No, I don't think GG will be at 174 anytime soon, just where he was at on the last roster.

Put "projected" starters in red type. Of course that is also based on nothing more than last years starters and assumptions I have made based on what I hear from my limited sources. So please don't take anything as set in stone. I'm sure none of the wrestlers are.

Also, Raider Lofthouse and Cayle Byers, as well as other committed recruits have been added although not on the roster as of yet.

Last edited:
197 and HWT need to be massive priorities in next years class. Nothing against Teleford. Just zero depth and worse at 197.

197 and HWT need to be massive priorities in next years class. Nothing against Teleford. Just zero depth and worse at 197.

Agreed. I'm certain this glaring deficiency has not escaped the coaching staff. Byers was a great find and I'm certain they'll come through again (I hope).

My favorite thing about Iowa is seeing unknown names to some become known names to all...going to be a long summer...

Here's my thoughts on next year's team realizing a lot can change in 6 months:

125 - McD! If he bumps up to 133, then Ramos
133 - Clark or Ramos. They were even last year and I'd give the nod right now to Clark since he'll be a senior and should be very motivated. Will be interesting to see if Nate Moore has put last year's issues in the past.
141 - Marion. Mark Ballweg will have to wait until his senior year to shine for the Hawks.
149 - ??? Will Carew's knees hold up? Will Jake Ballweg contend for the spot after a solid redshirt year? Will Mike Kelly cut down to 149?
157 - St. John
165 - Moore gets the nod over Kelly at 165. If St. John bumps to 165 then Kelly gets the nod over Moore at 157.
174 - Lofthouse. Hopefully Mike Evans will be back on the team and challenge Lofthouse for the spot...competition is a good thing.
184 - Gambrall
197 - Byers
285 - Rasing with Telford not far behind.

125 - McDonough
133 - Ramos/Moore
141 - Marion
149 - Carew/J Ballweg
157 - St John
165 - Nick Moore
174 - Lofthouse
184 - Gambrall
197 - Byers
285 - Rasing/Telford

133 should be an interesting battle again next year. 149 should be Carew if he can say healthy but that is a big question at this point. HWT will be interesting and this summer will be crucial for both guys. Rasing took a couple steps forward at the end of the year but then seemed to go back to his old self at Nationals. Telford is a big talent.

FF, is 174 based on Lofthouse being better or Evans not being with the team?

I think a little bit of both. :) Right now Evans still has some work to do to get back to having the chance and I hope that he does. Even so, I'm not sure that he would beat Ethan out for the spot, especially after missing this much time...

I don't think Nate Moore will ever be at 133 again. He may only have 1 shot after Montell is gone

What would possibly make you say that? Nate Moore is in the room working hard and has not had any issues with making 133. He will be at that weight again next year and right in the thick of things for the lineup along with Tony Ramos and Tyler Clark. All 3 guys are very capable of winning the spot and doing very well nationally!

It will be interesting to hear if anything changes in the room at 133, i.e. will someone rise to the top or will Brands be forced to make the pick based on style like last year. I hope the former and I'm usually prejudice for the senior since it's their last shot.

I've been thinking about last year's premier recruiting class. Baldosaro quit, Evans is off the team for now, and Dziewa was hurt all of last season...these things happen routinely on any team. What are the impacts to the strength of the Hawkeyes team next season?

Evans is the biggest blow in my mind as he would be fighting for the top spot at 174, as well as provide needed depth. Hopefully he'll be back on the team with a renewed sense of commitment.

Dziewa is listed at 141 where we have a lot of depth. With his shoulder injury I wonder if it will take another year in the room before he's fully up to speed (similar to Mark Ballweg who had a nice season this year after serious injury a couple of season ago)? Dziewa and Jake Ballweg were both listed at 141 and I wonder if either are growing/bulking up to 149 where Jake wrestled as a RS Freshman? That would be great if Jake could provide some more depth at 149.

DISCLAIMER: I have no inside information, I am not in the know, and my thoughts (which are solely my own) are not intended to malign or impune any Hawkeye wrestler. This is purely meant for speculation and entertainment use only.

I know there are some that feel Baldo is the biggest loss. I can't ever say that I saw him go live in the room but there are those that feel he had as much if not more talent out of last seasons recruits.

I never heard a thorough reason for Baldo's departure. Any chance he'll reappear in another program or are his wrestling days behind him?

Baldo will most likely be wrestling for a new D1 team out east next year and I would expect very big things out of him. The kid is very talented!

I won't go into any depth on why he left but things didn't go well for him here.

Latest posts