Rose would probably select Sparty

For some reason I'm not all that hung up on it. The Rose Bowl used to be the ultimate destination for any Big Ten team, but that was in the old system. If Iowa goes 12-1, they will still get a fantastic bowl game against a good opponent, regardless of whether it's the Rose or not.

Translation: As long as Iowa has a great year, I don't care too much which bowl game they go to. Assuming they don't make the playoff, that is.

I think a 12-1 Iowa goes to the Rose Bowl even if MSU is 11-1 and ranked higher in the CFP rankings. The committee would place MSU in one of the New Years Six bowls (Peach, Sugar, Fiesta...etc) leaving the Rose to pick their representative and if a 12-1 Iowa is available they would grab them in a heartbeat.

I can't tell you how pizzed I would be if a 7-1 MSU team went to the Rose Bowl over a 8-1 Iowa team.

This is gonna start being the norm, that teams that play 1 less game are gonna leap over the teams that have to play in conference championships. That is why the Big12 and Notre Dame are b!tches. They don't want to have to play a 13th game, as it is only a detriment to the teams playing in them under the current system.

Look at how 50,000 Iowa fans traveled to South Beach in January 2003.
The Rose Bowl and the Chamber of Commerce knows that number would be higher if Iowa is selected.
Sparty was just there in 2014.
If MSU goes 11-1, makes the B1G champion, then I see Sparty in the Rose Bowl.
Otherwise, I don't see it, unless Iowa trips up before Indy.

Michigan state was just in the rose bowl 2 years ago. I don't remember the last time iowa was in California for a bowl game. If their records are identical and Michigan state doesn't win the big ten title game....I believe the rose bowl would take iowa

Michigan state was just in the rose bowl 2 years ago. I don't remember the last time iowa was in California for a bowl game. If their records are identical and Michigan state doesn't win the big ten title game....I believe the rose bowl would take iowa

I agree,Sparty was just there and it's been a long while since Iowa was there so they know our fans will come in groves.

If we make it to the Big Ten championship game and lose, the hope is that we end up in one of the "New Year's Six" games. They are all equivalent to the Rose Bowl, and guarantee a highly ranked opponent. That would be good enough for me.

Lol. Did you guys actually read the article? Because I'm inclined to believe what the Rose Bowl chairman says and not you.

LOL, sorry no I didn't until just now,guess we will just wait and see.4 games left on the schedule with a few more upsets I'm sure.Everything is going to be cloudy until the very end.Just keep winning Hawks.

So if I understand this correctly Iowa could potentially get penalized by the Rose Bowl Committee for winning the West and playing an extra game in the Championship game and losing to Ohio State? To me I think this is a mistake for the Rose committee to come out with these statements NOW.

If both Ohio State and Iowa are undefeated heading into the BTC, wouldn't it be kinda nice for them to offer the loser of that game a bid to the Rose Bowl? This is a bad PR move by the Chairperson to even give that interview, why alienate a fan base this way?

Let me share what I think I know about college sports... It's all about the $$$

If the Rose Bowl committee thinks bringing one team over another will result in more $$$, that's who they'll select and find a way to spin it to justify their selection.

Wow, this would actually be a huge disappointment to be shipped down to Orlando...

"What if the Rose Bowl doesn't happen for 11-2 or 12-1 Iowa? Well, the next-best prize is the Buffalo Wild Wings Citrus Bowl (formerly the Capital One Bowl, which Iowa won in 2005 on the final play and hasn't been to since) in Orlando, Fla."

Let me share what I think I know about college sports... It's all about the $$$

If the Rose Bowl committee thinks bringing one team over another will result in more $$$, that's who they'll select and find a way to spin it to justify their selection.
If that's true about the Rose, and if we all agree that Iowa would equal more $$$, then why would the chairman make these comments?

If you are right, the chairman would be foreshadowing an Iowa pick right now (eg "the Rose has a lot of discretion and can use a lot of factors,") and would not be saying MSU is going if higher ranked.

I understand what the chairman is saying about catching heck for picking a lower rated team over a higher rated team. But if that's the only criteria there is, then I would suggest that they edit their statements that essentially say the opposite of what the chairman just said. In the Rose Bowl selection process for the B1G, it says the Rose will "generally" select the highest rated team from the final CFP poll, HOWEVER, things like division titles and length of time since last Rose Bowl will also factor in.

Look, if they aren't going to factor in at all (like it appears the chairman is saying in this article), then remove those caveats from the selection process description and just say, flat out, that you're taking the highest ranked team.....period.

I understand what the chairman is saying about catching heck for picking a lower rated team over a higher rated team. But if that's the only criteria there is, then I would suggest that they edit their statements that essentially say the opposite of what the chairman just said. In the Rose Bowl selection process for the B1G, it says the Rose will "generally" select the highest rated team from the final CFP poll, HOWEVER, things like division titles and length of time since last Rose Bowl will also factor in.

Look, if they aren't going to factor in at all (like it appears the chairman is saying in this article), then remove those caveats from the selection process description and just say, flat out, that you're taking the highest ranked team.....period.

Actually it's "we are talking the highest ranked team unless we have a chance to take Harbaugh ".

For some reason I'm not all that hung up on it. The Rose Bowl used to be the ultimate destination for any Big Ten team, but that was in the old system. If Iowa goes 12-1, they will still get a fantastic bowl game against a good opponent, regardless of whether it's the Rose or not.

Translation: As long as Iowa has a great year, I don't care too much which bowl game they go to. Assuming they don't make the playoff, that is.

I feel the same way.

Latest posts