Rodney Coe

Someone will absolutely whisper sweet nothings into Coe's ear this year and tell him he can be a running back for them. And then 8 months later, he'll be playing DL.
BUT, the kid is free to make his choice

We are talking about college football (specifically) in a perfect world. But how many guys can you think of other than Rodney Coe? How many power running back recruits has Iowa had that never worked out because of problems with weight gain...

I'm just saying that it's tough to find examples. What about Kalvin Bailey in the 2005 recruiting class? Big (heavy) running backs that don't make it because they are too big; it's hard to find college examples. It's hard to find examples because if they don't make it, we never hear about them.

Maybe the best example I can come up with on the spot is Jorvorskie Lane from Texas AM. He was a beast, then he got too fat and blew his shot at the NFL, and really his college career.

John Clay in similar boat. He left for the NFL early cause he knew Monte would get his minutes. He was ok til he got fat, then he was pretty worthless.

Bailey never got to campus, either...grades

I thought so. I can't think of any Iowa RB recruits that didn't work out for weight reasons. Coe is the only one that I can think of. Plenty of HS guys I played with (Des Moines) come to mind, but nobody that signed with Iowa or anything like that

I think Rodney is finally realizing he is not going to be a running back anymore. He might be the last to realize this, but whatever.

Based on what he tweeted, I think he might have heard some constructive criticisms from the staff. My GUESS would be conditioning.

I just don't expect him to play for Iowa, and really never did after he didn't make it in.

the kind of weight he is putting on at a Juco setting is not the kind of weight you want, would be my guess.[/QUOTE]

Didn't Shonn Greene hit the Big Macs too much one year and blow up too? Losing weight can be done.

John Clay in similar boat. He left for the NFL early cause he knew Monte would get his minutes. He was ok til he got fat, then he was pretty worthless.

Yeah I was going to go with John Clay, he seems like a perfect example. But he made it to the league. It's hard for me to say that an NFL player is a good example. In the grand scheme of things, he's been pretty successful.

Yeah I was going to go with John Clay, he seems like a perfect example. But he made it to the league. It's hard for me to say that an NFL player is a good example. In the grand scheme of things, he's been pretty successful.

I believe he went undrafted and onto a practice squad until injuries brought him onto the field. I think that would be less desired than making it as a draftee at another position.

Also, I will say this, after watching tapes I think Clay was a better running prospect than Coe was out of high school.

Someone will absolutely whisper sweet nothings into Coe's ear this year and tell him he can be a running back for them. And then 8 months later, he'll be playing DL.

This. With all the infatuation with spread offenses the past decade, the number of teams actually employing power running backs are lower than ever. And the number of these schools that would be able to take a risk on him at RB (assuming the weight thing is true) is even lower. Not a whole lot of options for Rodney to run the football out there. He could be an absolute force at DE and I hope he realizes this after his initial emotions temper down a bit.

Rob Howe is retweeting negative comments that hawk fans are posting.... Clayborn calls rob Howe a Coward..... Loving it!!!

No question.

Like Urban Myer at Florida promising a QB recruit that he was "the only QB I am recruiting" because Tebow would play LB.

What the heck's happened to Rob lately? He used to be an okay guy, then the whole thing with Perault happened and it's seemed like ever since that, he's been on the wrong end of Hawkeye things ever since......pi$$ing off Ferentz, getting the Parker retirement thing completely wrong, etc, etc....now going after Clayborn.....wow, when you fall, you fall hard and fast!

What the heck's happened to Rob lately? He used to be an okay guy, then the whole thing with Perault happened and it's seemed like ever since that, he's been on the wrong end of Hawkeye things ever since......pi$$ing off Ferentz, getting the Parker retirement thing completely wrong, etc, etc....now going after Clayborn.....wow, when you fall, you fall hard and fast!

I generally like Rob's work but consider what he is doing today petty and unprofessional. Retweeting random dbag tweets from fans, and taking on AC?

https://twitter.com/#!/HawkeyeInsider

His position is that his "policy" is to RT the negative stuff to "expose" how silly these people look. He seems to be backing off a little with his latest tweet to Coe "Perhaps I will rethink my rt policy after seeing how it hit u. I just do it to call out ppl 4 ripping recruits on here. Sorry."

If Rodney Coe or anyone else wants to see random negative stuff from anonymous Internet poseurs, they can find it themselves, without help from a self-appointed tattletale. Journalists should report news, not provoke news.

sounds like coe just wants his shot at RB and if it doesn't work he'd be open to switching. I don't think he likes Iowa is saying no shot. But they're just being honest, doubt anyone sees him as a RB.

Nah, he is just tired of all the snow have gotten this year . He is from Illinois, not used to the winter.
Exactly; and this is one of the weakest winters we've had in a while. See ya, guy. Good luck finding a school that wants a 275(?)lb. running back.

he wants a shot at rb. the problem is that he doesnt understand he has his shot to prove he should be one at juco. and obviously the coaches arent seeing enough of him at rb to be satisfied with him there. so they probably (all guess) told him and the juco coaches that he would be better off playing dl next yr. if he doesnt make it to iowa i will be ok because i am not too sure he can keep the grades up anyway.