Rob’s Trip to NYC

RobHowe

Administrator
Since many of you chose to pass in the Pinstripe, you can live vicariously through my travels. I’ll keep you updated as I go. :)

Woke at 4 a.m. CT this morning to catch flight out of Eastern Iowa Airport. Pulled away from gate on time then sat on tarmac for an hour waiting for plane to be de-iced.

Arrived at O’Hare close to 8. It was zero out. Found out connection was delayed 45 minutes. It’s now heading on an hour delayed as we sit on full plane destined for LaGuardia. The guy behind sounds like he might be hacking up a lung.

You’re up to date. Plan to catch subway from LaGuardia to New York Marriott East Side (media hotel) then dinner with Todd Brommelkamp and Tom Kakert at John’s on 12th Street provided I make it in time for 7:30 reservation.

I’ll check back later. I know you’re all anxiously awaiting updates of this journey.

Yeah but come on Rob, it'll all be worth it when you get to the bowl destination.

The sun, the warm breeze... bikinis!

Oh wait- not this year. Nevermind!

Since many of you chose to pass in the Pinstripe, you can live vicariously through my travels. I’ll keep you updated as I go. :)

Woke at 4 a.m. CT this morning to catch flight out of Eastern Iowa Airport. Pulled away from gate on time then sat on tarmac for an hour waiting for plane to be de-iced.

Arrived at O’Hare close to 8. It was zero out. Found out connection was delayed 45 minutes. It’s now heading on an hour delayed as we sit on full plane destined for LaGuardia. The guy behind sounds like he might be hacking up a lung.

You’re up to date. Plan to catch subway from LaGuardia to New York Marriott East Side (media hotel) then dinner with Todd Brommelkamp and Tom Kakert at John’s on 12th Street provided I make it in time for 7:30 reservation.

I’ll check back later. I know you’re all anxiously awaiting updates of this journey.
Sounds like a big pain in the ass so far. Good luck!

Headed to Australia in a few days. 12 day cruise up to the Great Barrier Reef from Sydney. Water will be 80+ deg. Temps between 75 and 90.

Be thankful you don't have a kid sitting behind you kicking the seat the entire flight. I usually travel with ear plugs and watch a movie on my tablet.

Great idea Rob, this travel diary, it should be fun to see what hoops you have to go through, the pitfalls, etc. Looking forward to it and a hawk win.

Made it to the hotel. Everything was going smoothly until I found out while riding the E train that it following the F Train route during the holidays. Ended up having to walk about 8 blocks. They’re long around here. Saw a guy on the train that looked like Otis Nixon talking to himself. Taking train to dinner for entertainment value. That and it’s $3 instead of $20 for a cab.

No media hospitality room in hotel. That's a first for me in 21 years of covering bowls. Oh well, paid $10 for two bottles of water and a small trail mix at the local Walgreen's. Almost time to head out to dinner. Old school Italian place where there was mob hit back in the day.

When in NYC I usually take the NY Airporter bus that stops at Grand Central, Bryant Park and the Port Authority terminal. I have never tried to use the subway from LGA

Latest posts