Robles 125?

Maybe you'll start seeing more wrestlers having a leg amputated. You know, so they can drop down a few weight classes and capitalize on all these huge advantages of missing a limb...

McD will never have to wrestle that type of match again. McD knew what he had to do, but just couldn't get past Robles' strength. I'm sure Matt will be the first one to tell you that Robles deserved the win. The way he utilized his tilts was unbelievable. The good thing is we get McD for 2 more years and again...he'll never have to wrestle that type of match again. Congrats to both of the guys!

Unfortunately McD did not seem to have a game plan when he came into the match, and it was 7-0 before anyone could blink. McD got it handed to him last night, plain an simple. He will be back, and probably even more motivated then before.

Unfortunately McD did not seem to have a game plan when he came into the match, and it was 7-0 before anyone could blink. McD got it handed to him last night, plain an simple. He will be back, and probably even more motivated then before.

Do you really think Brands would have McD go out there without a plan? I'm guessing he had Zadick, Jans.. wrestling on their knees to "try" to prepare him for that match. Robles has made a career of making people wrestle his match. Dude has crazy upper body strength & grip and when he gets on top of you all of that 125 is on your back. Obviously McD's plan didn't work out this time.

I am so sick of the feel sorry story for him. Yea, I tip my hat to him for doing what he has done with his handicap. But, due to his handicap he has gained some huge advantages. Im not sure how much a leg weighs, but Im willing to bet he has put on at least 25 lbs of upper body muscle mass that he normally wouldnt have. Anyone that has wrestled knows how important upper body strength is in wrestling. How many times did McD grab for a leg that wasnt there. IMO, athletics of any kind should start on a level playing field and I dont care who he is going against him, its not and its all in his favor. Congrats Mr. Robles but Im not going miss you.

Maybe you'll start seeing more wrestlers having a leg amputated. You know, so they can drop down a few weight classes and capitalize on all these huge advantages of missing a limb...

We have a winner!!!! Dumbest post of the thread! Congrats.

I am so sick of the feel sorry story for him. Yea, I tip my hat to him for doing what he has done with his handicap. But, due to his handicap he has gained some huge advantages. Im not sure how much a leg weighs, but Im willing to bet he has put on at least 25 lbs of upper body muscle mass that he normally wouldnt have. Anyone that has wrestled knows how important upper body strength is in wrestling. How many times did McD grab for a leg that wasnt there. IMO, athletics of any kind should start on a level playing field and I dont care who he is going against him, its not and its all in his favor. Congrats Mr. Robles but Im not going miss you.

Anyone who has wrestled also knows how important having two legs is, as well. Leverage, balance, stability are all affected. Wrestling is a sport where the competitors are governed by weight and nothing else. It doesn't matter how tall, how short, or how many limbs you have. As long as you weigh the same, you can compete. That's the level playing field.

I don't think pointing out that there are SOME advantages to Roble's physical condition should be offensive to anyone. He's clearly still a very skilled wrestler. Missing one leg hardly guarantees you the national championship.

That some people are going to the opposite extreme and denying that it confers any advantages whatsoever is just silly.

Anyone who has wrestled also knows how important having two legs is, as well. Leverage, balance, stability are all affected. Wrestling is a sport where the competitors are governed by weight and nothing else. It doesn't matter how tall, how short, or how many limbs you have. As long as you weigh the same, you can compete. That's the level playing field.
You guys can see and watch the matches right? You sound silly and seem like you don't have any ability to reason.

You guys can see and watch the matches right? You sound silly and seem like you don't have any ability to reason.

what's so silly and unreasonable about my post? Robles maximized his advantages while minimizing his disadvantages. That's what any good wrestler would do. You play to your talents. Him having one leg was helpful in some ways, but hugely unhelpful in others.

Robles was up 7-0 pretty early. At that point, he still had his stall warning in the bank. He did his work in the first period, and was not going to take risks. He wrestled when he had to, wrestled smart when he had to.

Robles is somewhat of a deserving champion - he did his damage in the first period and then wrestled smart (aka stalled and played defense) for the last 2 periods. A truly deserving champion could wrestle and score for the entire 7 minutes. Robles is an amazing story, but it makes me sick to watch any "champion" stall and play defense like that. I for one, would have loved to see another stalling call, which would have DQ'd him. I know McD wouldn't have wanted to win that way but that kind of wrestling that he did the last 4 minutes sucks big time!

Robles is somewhat of a deserving champion - he did his damage in the first period and then wrestled smart (aka stalled and played defense) for the last 2 periods. A truly deserving champion could wrestle and score for the entire 7 minutes. Robles is an amazing story, but it makes me sick to watch any "champion" stall and play defense like that. I for one, would have loved to see another stalling call, which would have DQ'd him. I know McD wouldn't have wanted to win that way but that kind of wrestling that he did the last 4 minutes sucks big time!

You mean kind of like when McD went into a shell in the 3rd period to win his title last year? He got hit with a stall call and by my account was out shot 5-1, with the 1 being an attempt at a leg with a front headlock. It happens. Ask Montell what happens when you get carelessly aggressive. Robles' stalling was excessive, but it was within the rules and smart on his part, as anything stupid could have cost him a title.

I didn't understand the strategy that other wrestlers used against this guy. He got low and couldn't shoot from there. By getting down on the mat and hand fighting with him, you are playing to his strength. Why not stay high, run around him and get behind him. There is no way he can stay with you if you do that.

They both weigh 125 pounds. Can't get a more level playing field than stepping on the scale.

So if a guy weighs 100 pounds and then grows a 25 pound tumor on his arm and has to wrestle a person with an evenly distributed 125 pounds that is a level playing field? Wrestling is a joke to everyone outside of Iowa anyway so this just adds to the hilarity.

I've watched cricket matches that are more riveting than any wrestling match. It takes a 1 legged minority to generate any interest in it.

So if a guy weighs 100 pounds and then grows a 25 pound tumor on his arm and has to wrestle a person with an evenly distributed 125 pounds that is a level playing field? Wrestling is a joke to everyone outside of Iowa anyway so this just adds to the hilarity.

I've watched cricket matches that are more riveting than any wrestling match. It takes a 1 legged minority to generate any interest in it.

kidding me right?

Latest posts