Robert Gallery

He's a bust. Joe Thomas plays on a Browns' team that has been equally inept and is a perennial Pro-Bowler and one of the best in the league.

And Raiders are much better? I understand that they have done mediocre the last couple seasons but as a whole he was drafted by a horrible team that hasn't seen post season in years.

You are a bust when you are a top pick and you provide nothing to your team and nobody wants you.

Jamarcus Russel is a prime example, not Robert Gallery.

So Brady Quinn and Matt Leinart are NOT busts then?

BC and ML are not long term NFL starters. Gallery has started 103 out of 104 games in which he wasn't out because of injury. You get nothing from busts, not a decade of production. There is a large space between Joe Thomas and Bust. Gallery fills that space.

I agree with those that say he wasn't a bust.

Jamarcus Russell was a bust. Ryan Leaf was a bust. Akili Smith was a bust.

Robert Gallery has been a disappointment, but not a bust.

BC and ML are not long term NFL starters. Gallery has started 103 out of 104 games in which he wasn't out because of injury. You get nothing from busts, not a decade of production. There is a large space between Joe Thomas and Bust. Gallery fills that space.

How many of those starts were at LT, which is what teams draft with the #2 overall pick. You dont pick guards that high.

He was a bust as the #2 overall pick.

Gallery is not a bust, he has not played up to his high draft pick but in no way is he a bust. A bust is someone who gets drafted that high and does not even become a starter. Not someone who has been a starter for the past 10 years. Had he been picked lower in the draft no one would be saying he was a bust, only because he was selected #2 overall in what was a very loaded draft.

But he does need to get into shape, that picture makes him look horrible.

How many of those starts were at LT, which is what teams draft with the #2 overall pick. You dont pick guards that high.

He was a bust as the #2 overall pick.

If Jamarcus Russel could have switched positions and been a 10 year starter at WR would he have been a bust, no. I agree he did not meet expectations, but he has been a productive member of his teams he has played for.

Gallery is not a bust, he has not played up to his high draft pick but in no way is he a bust. A bust is someone who gets drafted that high and does not even become a starter. Not someone who has been a starter for the past 10 years. Had he been picked lower in the draft no one would be saying he was a bust, only because he was selected #2 overall in what was a very loaded draft.

Because he wouldnt be considered a bust if he was picked lower. He was drafted to be the franchise LT for the next decade. He never came close to that. Bust as the #2 pick? Yes.

Would he have been considered a bust had he been picked in the 20's? No.

If Jamarcus Russel could have switched positions and been a 10 year starter at WR would he have been a bust, no. I agree he did not meet expectations, but he has been a productive member of his teams he has played for.

You dont pick productive guards at #2 overall. It just doesnt work that way.

Im not saying Gallery is a bust as an NFL player, he is just a bust for why/where he was drafted.

You dont pick productive guards at #2 overall. It just doesnt work that way.

Im not saying Gallery is a bust as an NFL player, he is just a bust for why/where he was drafted.[/QUOTE]

I don't think you can split hairs like that. You can say he didn't live up to expectations but he's either a bust or he's not.

Also I agree you don't want to pick top guards with the #2 pick but you don't ever want to pick roll players with the #2 pick and sometimes it just happens. Doesn't make them busts.

He should not have been drafted #2, I will give you that. But a 10 year starter in the NFL is not what I call a bust.

The problem is that you don't draft a guy #2 overall because you need an everyday starter for 10 years. You can get those guys in rounds 3 and 4.

I understand you perspective that he isn't a total bust like JaMarcus Russell, but few players bust like that. That's an extreme example.

NFL teams draft guys in #1 and #2 because they expect, at minimum, All-Pro level of play. Guys that can be plugged in day one and be franchise guys. Not guys that come in day one and then by year two have to be moved into another position because they can't handle it where they were drafted.

The problem is that you don't draft a guy #2 overall because you need an everyday starter for 10 years. You can get those guys in rounds 3 and 4.

I understand you perspective that he isn't a total bust like JaMarcus Russell, but few players bust like that. That's an extreme example.

NFL teams draft guys in #1 and #2 because they expect, at minimum, All-Pro level of play. Guys that can be plugged in day one and be franchise guys. Not guys that come in day one and then by year two have to be moved into another position because they can't handle it where they were drafted.

RG was a top 5 guy that year. He could have went 2, 3, 4, or 5. Oakland wanted him and they happened to have the 2nd pick.

Bust is an extreme term, not everyone that lives up to expectations is a bust, only the worst are busts, that's why it's such an insult to be a bust because it is an extreme term and that is why to me RG is not a bust.

RG was a top 5 guy that year. He could have went 2, 3, 4, or 5. Oakland wanted him and they happened to have the 2nd pick.

I am not debating where he was projected to go or where he should have gone. He was, at the time, a can't miss prospect. That's indisputable for the most part. The problem is he was a miss.

Bust is an extreme term, not everyone that lives up to expectations is a bust, only the worst are busts, that's why it's such an insult to be a bust because it is an extreme term and that is why to me RG is not a bust.

Like I said, you're all welcome to your own definition. I am simply saying that the reality of the situation is that when you ask most people he's going to be considered a bust.

You can move the goal posts to where ever you want to. Everyone sees things differently. But if you want to try selling RG not being a bust going #2 overall predicated on the fact he went to Oakland and failed to be a premier starting LT that had to be shuffled into G in order to be retained as a starter you're in for a lot of disappointing conversations.

No, he isn't the standard for the term. There are far worse busts, but the majority of people consider him a bust nonetheless.

I am not debating that he has not played up to the expectations of a #2 overall pick, but a 10 year starter is not a bust.

We've covered that.

I know we have and I just realized I basically repeated what I have said before. What I consider to be a bust and what you consider to be a bust are 2 different things.

When I think of busts I think of Ryan Leaf, JaMarcus Russell, Curtis Enis, Cedric Benson, Ki-Jana Carter, Rick Mirer, Tim Couch, and Charles Rogers. I would call a career for someone like Gallery who was picked #2 to be a disappointment as you do expect Pro Bowl quality drafting that high.

I bet the Rams would love to have Gallery's production out of Jason Smith (another #2 overall pick at RT) or how about Mike Williams (4th overall in 2002 for Bills)?