Rob Sand Wants Barta Out

I thought KF's statement following approval of the settlement was hilarious!
Now that it's over, and there's no threat of him or his son's depositions being released publicly, he declares that the Ferentz family wanted to fight all charges to the bitter end, with complete confidence of being either vindicated by summary judgment or at trial.
That really IS funny stuff! This settlement, without their names attached, is the best possible scenario for both he and Brian, and they both know it.
They remind me of a kid on the playground who avoids a fight at all costs until a teacher is close by, and then yells out "It's a good thing that teacher is here, or I would kick your ass!"

The Iowa Attorney General's Office represents the state in a lawsuit like this and they reached the settlement. There is a three person appeal board that has to approve the settlement. That is Rob Sand, the state auditor; Kraig Paulson, the Department of Management Director; and Roby Smith, the State Treasurer. Paulson and Smith both voted to approve the settlement so Sands opposition was overridden.
Thank you. So who's in their pockets? Their has to be some wild local politics in play here because they are going to get some serious backlash for this. Hawk fans clone fans UNI fans just Iowa tax payers that have no dog in the race are all going to be against the principal of the matter of using state funds to pay for that when they didn't have to. This is wild

Before I get all fired up about the taxpayer thing, why are we chiming in without any knowledge of the rationale? I can’t tell you how many clowns I have had to show that tax $$ don’t pay the bills for athletics at Iowa.
I know that and wasn't talking about that at all. What rationale needs to be known? Is there an angle where 2 million of this should come tax payers? Cause I don't see most being for that at all. I see why with the BOR being involved on the suit that the athletic dept wanted to split it. But I don't in the sense that they could have still voted against that and had the athletic department still foot the bill. Hell they should have voluntarily done it. For one thing it's a drop in the bucket and compared to the 20 or so million that was being asked for it's a win win for the school and then avoided this PR mess.

This could be a nail in Bartas coffin. How good of a relationship does he have with Barbra Wilson? If I'm her I'm asking for his resignation. I had to look up her name I couldn't remember it. I knew she took over a couple yrs ago or so but I couldn't tell you one thing she's done so far. Well here's her chance to get some easy PR in her favor and make her mark on the university. Dump his ass and hire her own.

Thank you. So who's in their pockets? Their has to be some wild local politics in play here because they are going to get some serious backlash for this. Hawk fans clone fans UNI fans just Iowa tax payers that have no dog in the race are all going to be against the principal of the matter of using state funds to pay for that when they didn't have to. This is wild

Most people can't remember anything from more than 72 hours prior unless it is part of the Master Narrative that is consistently reinforced at every turn. There will be no backlash.

I can’t in any way come up with a reason why the state of Iowa should pay one cent to help the athletic department pay this settlement. It’s the athletic department’s fault and they should take full responsibility for it. The nerve of GB to ask the state’s help to pay this is unbelievable. The athletic department has so much money they waste it on frivolous things like alternative uniforms. Alternative uniforms are fun but they are frivolous. Pay your own bills for your own mistakes. I have often defended the athletic department’s spending on coaches salaries and other things based on the fact that they bring in that money themselves. The fact is that the University of Iowas education departments are often struggling to make ends meet and looking for ways to save money.

A. Who cares about where the money comes from? Money is fungible. Does it really matter what fund it actually comes from? They can shift money from one account to the other.

B. I have yet to hear anyone explain the logic of firing the CEO who is only alleged to have overseen a manager allegedly running an entire department in a discriminatory manner, but then not firing the discriminating manager. What sane organization would ever do that?

C. For the Sands of the world who claim this is a culmination of F ups by Barta over the years, ok, I see that. But again, Barta runs the entire organization and has done so for close to 20 years. He has probably 25 times the direct and indirect reports that KF does, so there is a lot more coming at him to deal with and clean up. Clean up is a big part of an AD's job. And, one could certainly put together a list of KF's sins over the years, not the least of which is this lawsuit, Doyle's alleged conduct over the years, his son freaking out in the press box and otherwise not having the maturity for the job, his son grifting assisted living apartment rates as a player, drunken players up and down the ped mall, Rhabdo, nepotism everywhere, etc.

For anyone calling for only Barta to be fired here and not KF, just admit that you hate Barta and want him gone, but can't bring yourself to call for KF to be fired,(even though he is the alleged perp here), given his status as a living legend coach. Just be honest about that and I will move on. If not, your position makes ZERO sense.

A. Who cares about where the money comes from? Money is fungible. Does it really matter what fund it actually comes from? They can shift money from one account to the other.
If it comes from the general fund it's money from income taxes, if it's from the athletic department it comes from their accounts which are generated by donors, TV contracts, ticket sales, and concessions. In other words, the stakeholders of the football program are paying for it. Is it a small amount in comparison to say, 10 miles of 4 lane highway construction? Yep. Is it still idiotic for the state to pay for it? Yep.

They cannot shift money from one account to another. The U and the athletic department are two completely different entities financially.

B. I have yet to hear anyone explain the logic of firing the CEO who is only alleged to have overseen a manager allegedly running an entire department in a discriminatory manner, but then not firing the discriminating manager. What sane organization would ever do that?

C. For the Sands of the world who claim this is a culmination of F ups by Barta over the years, ok, I see that. But again, Barta runs the entire organization and has done so for close to 20 years. He has probably 25 times the direct and indirect reports that KF does, so there is a lot more coming at him to deal with and clean up. Clean up is a big part of an AD's job. And, one could certainly put together a list of KF's sins over the years, not the least of which is this lawsuit, Doyle's alleged conduct over the years, his son freaking out in the press box and otherwise not having the maturity for the job, his son grifting assisted living apartment rates as a player, drunken players up and down the ped mall, Rhabdo, nepotism everywhere, etc.
On both of these points, what is Barta's track record compared to his peers in terms of lawsuits and settlements being paid out? Yes, up until now it's been no public money paid, but mismanagement is mismanagement. The Tracy Griesbaum deal was Barta's and Barta's alone. Failure to document anything, failure to have 3rd parties involved in sensitive discussions he had, failure to insure an attempt at equity, the list goes on. Those had nothing to do whatsoever with Kirk Ferentz, neither did the Peter Gray deal.

Most people can't remember anything from more than 72 hours prior unless it is part of the Master Narrative that is consistently reinforced at every turn. There will be no backlash.
They should get reminded by those that would be running against them come election time.. Those are all elected positions aren't they?

I know that there are some athletic departments at public schools across the country that are subsidized by state funds. The University of Iowa is not one of those. Do Iowa State and UNI receive any state funding for their athletic departments?

Little bit off the subject of Barta, I am more curious about what the transcripts say. Is there any truth that some of the accusations were recanted? If so, I have a bigger issue with just paying out money to make this go away.

I was just listening to the local sports talk show this morning 106.3 out of Des Moines, and I get it was more about the cost of playing this out likely being more than a settlement. This is not uncommon, but it definitely sends a poor message.

I know many organizations do this. The organization I work for does this. They settle and make sure have the plaintiff sign a non-disclosure agreement, and it all goes away quietly.

Just curious if anyone can shed a bit more light on this. Not a Barta fan, but also not a Barta hater either. I think for the most part he is a puppet. I highly doubt Tom Brands, Fran, Kirk or even Bluder answer to him.

On both of these points, what is Barta's track record compared to his peers in terms of lawsuits and settlements being paid out? Yes, up until now it's been no public money paid, but mismanagement is mismanagement. The Tracy Griesbaum deal was Barta's and Barta's alone. Failure to document anything, failure to have 3rd parties involved in sensitive discussions he had, failure to insure an attempt at equity, the list goes on. Those had nothing to do whatsoever with Kirk Ferentz, neither did the Peter Gray deal.
I agree that Barta, in his capacity as AD overseeing dozens of programs, has presided over some F ups that have nothing to do with KF. Barta owns those sins and if you want to fire him for the totality of it all, so be it.

But, why are you not holding KF to the same account? KF owns a lot of sins that have nothing to do with Barta, most notably, THIS LAWSUIT AND SETTLEMENT WE ARE ALL TALKING ABOUT!!!! Barta had no input or control into the football culture KF set for black players and whether he and his coaches mistreated or discriminated against black players. That is 100% on KF. Same with Rhabdo and the conduct of Brian and other coaches that have embarrassed the school. All KF. Now, Barta has some skin in the nepotism issues, but as we all have discussed, KF decides who his coaches are and Barta rubber stamps it. BF is, IMHO, 100% on KF too.

So again, if this settlement is indicative of a wrong committed by the athletic department such that the settlement should be used as the culminating justification for firing the CEO of Iowa Athletics, you also have to fire the person who actually engaged in the conduct that caused the lawsuit to be filed in the first place. That is just the way any sane business would operate.

They should get reminded by those that would be running against them come election time.. Those are all elected positions aren't they?
No. Paulson, the Director of the Dept of Management, was appointed by Gov. Reynolds. Smith, the State Treasurer, is elected but won't be up for re-election until Nov. of 2026.

I thought KF's statement following approval of the settlement was hilarious!
Now that it's over, and there's no threat of him or his son's depositions being released publicly, he declares that the Ferentz family wanted to fight all charges to the bitter end, with complete confidence of being either vindicated by summary judgment or at trial.
That really IS funny stuff! This settlement, without their names attached, is the best possible scenario for both he and Brian, and they both know it.
They remind me of a kid on the playground who avoids a fight at all costs until a teacher is close by, and then yells out "It's a good thing that teacher is here, or I would kick your ass!"

I agree that Barta, in his capacity as AD overseeing dozens of programs, has presided over some F ups that have nothing to do with KF. Barta owns those sins and if you want to fire him for the totality of it all, so be it.

But, why are you not holding KF to the same account? KF owns a lot of sins that have nothing to do with Barta, most notably, THIS LAWSUIT AND SETTLEMENT WE ARE ALL TALKING ABOUT!!!! Barta had no input or control into the football culture KF set for black players and whether he and his coaches mistreated or discriminated against black players. That is 100% on KF. Same with Rhabdo and the conduct of Brian and other coaches that have embarrassed the school. All KF. Now, Barta has some skin in the nepotism issues, but as we all have discussed, KF decides who his coaches are and Barta rubber stamps it. BF is, IMHO, 100% on KF too.

So again, if this settlement is indicative of a wrong committed by the athletic department such that the settlement should be used as the culminating justification for firing the CEO of Iowa Athletics, you also have to fire the person who actually engaged in the conduct that caused the lawsuit to be filed in the first place. That is just the way any sane business would operate.
Barta was responsible to do the right thing regardless of the culture. He either ignored it or was a part of the culture.

Little bit off the subject of Barta, I am more curious about what the transcripts say. Is there any truth that some of the accusations were recanted? If so, I have a bigger issue with just paying out money to make this go away.

I was just listening to the local sports talk show this morning 106.3 out of Des Moines, and I get it was more about the cost of playing this out likely being more than a settlement. This is not uncommon, but it definitely sends a poor message.

I know many organizations do this. The organization I work for does this. They settle and make sure have the plaintiff sign a non-disclosure agreement, and it all goes away quietly.

Just curious if anyone can shed a bit more light on this. Not a Barta fan, but also not a Barta hater either. I think for the most part he is a puppet. I highly doubt Tom Brands, Fran, Kirk or even Bluder answer to him.
I doubt recanted applies. Conformed to what is provable is more likely. Conformed to a unified statement is more likely. Being on the stand is intimidating at its best. My guess is simplified uniformity. No way this was settled without a non disclose agreement. KF likely is pushing his weight knowing the other side wont talk and have more to lose. I am sure his handlers didn't like that.

No. Paulson, the Director of the Dept of Management, was appointed by Gov. Reynolds. Smith, the State Treasurer, is elected but won't be up for re-election until Nov. of 2026.
Gotcha... So appointed positions mixed in with elected ones are deciding such things. Sounds about par for the course for govt...

I know that and wasn't talking about that at all. What rationale needs to be known? Is there an angle where 2 million of this should come tax payers? Cause I don't see most being for that at all. I see why with the BOR being involved on the suit that the athletic dept wanted to split it. But I don't in the sense that they could have still voted against that and had the athletic department still foot the bill. Hell they should have voluntarily done it. For one thing it's a drop in the bucket and compared to the 20 or so million that was being asked for it's a win win for the school and then avoided this PR mess.

This could be a nail in Bartas coffin. How good of a relationship does he have with Barbra Wilson? If I'm her I'm asking for his resignation. I had to look up her name I couldn't remember it. I knew she took over a couple yrs ago or so but I couldn't tell you one thing she's done so far. Well here's her chance to get some easy PR in her favor and make her mark on the university. Dump his ass and hire her own.
1st paragraph I am with you. 2nd, got to think about that.

1st paragraph I am with you. 2nd, got to think about that.
I don't know her at all and I could be as wrong as all get out about that. I'm just going off my knee jerk reaction to everything that is Gary Barta. How old is Barta? I can't imagine he's long in the tooth for hanging around a heck of a lot longer anyway is he?

If it comes from the general fund it's money from income taxes, if it's from the athletic department it comes from their accounts which are generated by donors, TV contracts, ticket sales, and concessions. In other words, the stakeholders of the football program are paying for it. Is it a small amount in comparison to say, 10 miles of 4 lane highway construction? Yep. Is it still idiotic for the state to pay for it? Yep.

They cannot shift money from one account to another. The U and the athletic department are two completely different entities financially.

Yep, plus on the racial bias, his best and brightest (i.e. guys like James Daniels) came directly to Barta to outline the issues years before. This wasn't some situation that the "manager" (i.e. Kirk) was able to keep hidden from Barta.

Yep, plus on the racial bias, his best and brightest (i.e. guys like James Daniels) came directly to Barta to outline the issues years before. This wasn't some situation that the "manager" (i.e. Kirk) was able to keep hidden from Barta.
Good call. That's true Daniels has talked about having done that. He had sit downs with both KF and Barta separately about it and we all know the nothing that happened after them

Latest posts