Rob Sand Wants Barta Out

So how does a new hire change this? KF is just going to say "whew" and shape up? Maybe I guess.
This. I get Fry's criticism in this regard, but what should have Barta done differently? Barta says, "hey Kirk, you can't hire your kid" or "if you hire your kid and I think he sucks, I can fire him and you will be okay with that."

KF then says, "F you. I will hire who I want and if you don't like it I will get you fired."

Who do you think wins that battle with the donor class and board?

Any Barta replacement will be vetted by KF. The notion that Barta or the new guy are going to tell KF who he can have on his staff is naive.

Too many people on this Board use Gary Barta as a scapegoat for everything. As it relates to football, KF is 100% responsible for the performance and dealings related thereto. If you don't like KF thumbing his nose at the fans by keeping BF employed, then be brave and call for KF's termination.

All things said, not much changes. It will ding Iowa some on recruiting, but nothing catastrophic. Some positive changes will be made. Life goes on.

186,000 per person is actually a pretty strong settlement as these things go. This means that there were embarrassing and harmful things did occur, but by the letter of the law, not enough to take to the EZ.

The average claim for racial discrimination in the work place is about 40,000. This was not a minor settlement in terms of what is paid per person. $4.2 ml isn't a big hardship on the athletic department.
Aside from the settlement to me this would be a means to an end of Gary Barta's tenure. I'm not going to kid myself that it'll happen, though.

Really curious what the consensus perception of this will be, both within Hawknation and from the outside.

After coaches were dropped as defendants, people were popping off all over twitter with, "See, it was all bullshit from the start!" and "Doyle should sue these guys for ruining his reputation!"

What do those people say now? Do they argue the suit was BS, but Iowa settled to make it go away? Do they conclude that there was some fire to go along with this smoke? Whatever the response, I am sure it will be thoughtful, nuanced, and well-articulated.

From a national perspective, is this mentioned today, and then forgotten tomorrow, or will we hear about this in the fall when things start back up?

I guess we'll see.

"Being mean" and discrimination are different things.
Yep. A lot of well-meaning people who are not at all racist can say and do things that are racially insensitive and create an environment that is not inclusive for minorities. That Texas Tech coach just got suspended for reading a bible passage about slavery. Greg McDermott got suspended for dumbly referencing being together on the plantation with his players. Times have changed and things that you could do and say 20 years ago may not fly in today's world.

I don't know the specifics of what was actually occurring on a day to day basis through the eyes of these black players at Iowa. What I do know is KF has acknowledged deficiencies, a council was formed to address changes, changes were in fact implemented, a lawsuit was filed, discovery was taken and a 7 figure settlement is apparently in the works. That suggests to me something a bit more than just "meanness."

This. I get Fry's criticism in this regard, but what should have Barta done differently? Barta says, "hey Kirk, you can't hire your kid" or "if you hire your kid and I think he sucks, I can fire him and you will be okay with that."

KF then says, "F you. I will hire who I want and if you don't like it I will get you fired."

Who do you think wins that battle with the donor class and board?

Any Barta replacement will be vetted by KF. The notion that Barta or the new guy are going to tell KF who he can have on his staff is naive.

Too many people on this Board use Gary Barta as a scapegoat for everything. As it relates to football, KF is 100% responsible for the performance and dealings related thereto. If you don't like KF thumbing his nose at the fans by keeping BF employed, then be brave and call for KF's termination.
I think in life you do the right thing and live with the consequences or a good part of the time it will come back and bite you. I imagine Barta is already set in life. KF should do the same but he doesn't. The U of I should stand up and do the right thing.... with full information (which we don't have) and live with the consequences.

Aside from the settlement to me this would be a means to an end of Gary Barta's tenure. I'm not going to kid myself that it'll happen, though.
Hopefully the right thing will be done what ever that is. I have my opinion, which doesn't count. We don't have full disclosure but ducks that look like ducks are usually ducks. Usually.

My grandchildren other grandparents recently rescued a pit pull which has full run. Not wanting to discuss (pits and children interaction), the other gps are claiming it's a husky/black lab mix to satisfy the parents. It's obviously not. Ridiculously not.

Sooner or later, this might come back and "bite" the other grandparents. Better just to get rid of the critter if there is a risk.

Life can be more simple than it is.

Gents, some perspective is needed. Gary Barta has overseen the athletic department for a long time. With its revenue, employees, endowment and facilaties, Iowa athletics is the equivalent of a billion dollar company. That is not hyperbole. Any NFL franchise is worth a couple bill. That is for just one football team. While a college athletic department is not able to be sold (yet LOL), that does not change the nature of the business being a massive and lucrative entity. Barta is the equivalent of the CEO of a massive company.

Companies the size of Iowa, that have money and are high profile, draw law suits and claims on a regular basis. In legal venacular, lawsuits are the cost of doing business. Companies settle bullshit lawsuits for way too much money every day. I have seen it in my practice more times that I can count. It just is what it is. Indeed, this may not even be Barta's call to make. Iowa has lawyers, adjusters, general counsel and lot's of folks making this call. Barta is doing what the experts around him recommend. That is what good CEO's do.

If you are a board of directors, and your CEO has run your company profitably for over a decade, and consistently grown its revenue and value far above other industries or market expectations, you don't fire him because of a couple lawsuits or a couple of scandals. You look at the totality of the circumstances and decide if he is doing his job well or not. Of course, that includes considering that all Big 10 schools are rising with TV revenue, so he should not get credit for all of the department's success, but he should get some. The captain of the ship gets more praise and blame than is actually deserved for sure.

I am Barta neutral. I don't think he is awesome, but I don't think he sucks simply because he hitched his wagon to a legendary football coach and is not rocking that boat. If you want to fire him for cause, with respect, settling a 20 million dollar case for 4 million dollars to put a high profile lawsuit to bed is not the dumbest thing a CEO has ever approved of. Not by a long shot.
You are reaching on a lot of this. A lot of folks in leadership positions in private business are fired these days when they are so closely tied to lawsuits. Particularly lawsuits involving racial bias and/or sexual orientation.

And you can call it a bullshit lawsuit, but two different reports (one conducted by the organization itself) also concluded racial bias.

And some of the organization's best and brightest "employees" brought this very issue to leadership's desk a couple years before.

But I guess we all saw the brilliant business acumen at work the second the football money spigot turned off during covid. That's when his creativity, innovation and business savvy really came to the forefront.

Do they distribute the 4 mil equally to the players in the lawsuit or do they divy it up to every player that came through the program? I know if I went through that program and wasn't already loaded I'd fight for a piece of the pie too.

They don't necessarily have to listen to him otherwise he'd just make a decision to flip Barta the middle finger and be done with it. But he's in a position of power with no connection to the football program and he has a lot of influence. The other thing people forget is there are more non-sports fans in the state by a large margin than there are dedicated Iowa football fans. First of all the Cryclone contingent is gonna show up in IC with flaming pitchforks. And there will be a massive pushback on tax money paying this thing, especially with social media fervor being all the rage today.

Highly, HIGHLY doubt Barta gets fired. The athletic department will just pay the bill and move on.
I agree. Sand will make it so they have to do that and so the tax payers won't be on the hook for half of it. But as far as Barta losing his gig that isn't happening. Barta was just trying to see what he could get away with by trying to get half of it off his books. Got caught trying to slip one past the goalie

Do they distribute the 4 mil equally to the players in the lawsuit or do they divy it up to every player that came through the program? I know if I went through that program and wasn't already loaded I'd fight for a piece of the pie too.
It gets split up evenly to the 12 plaintiffs after legal fees. DMR said there were $30K+ other fees as well.

I think there's only like 7 or 8 dudes on it now. Their were more initially like close to 20 or so but some were taken off due to statue of limitations. I think after lawyer fees they broke it down to $184k per kid pre tax... Not exactly enough to retire on for 20 something yr olds.

I think there's only like 7 or 8 dudes on it now. Their were more initially like close to 20 or so but some were taken off due to statue of limitations. I think after lawyer fees they broke it down to $184k per kid pre tax... Not exactly enough to retire on for 20 something yr olds.
I didn't even think about the statue of limitations. Sucks for those guys. I got something in the mail once saying I could maybe qualify for getting money because someone else sued someone. I wasn't even sure exactly what it was so didn't do anything about it. This seems like a situation where all the other players should get a letter in the mail saying they could get some money if they wanted.

DMR said it was originally 13 and now it's 12.

Gents, some perspective is needed. Gary Barta has overseen the athletic department for a long time. With its revenue, employees, endowment and facilaties, Iowa athletics is the equivalent of a billion dollar company. That is not hyperbole. Any NFL franchise is worth a couple bill. That is for just one football team. While a college athletic department is not able to be sold (yet LOL), that does not change the nature of the business being a massive and lucrative entity. Barta is the equivalent of the CEO of a massive company.

Companies the size of Iowa, that have money and are high profile, draw law suits and claims on a regular basis. In legal venacular, lawsuits are the cost of doing business. Companies settle bullshit lawsuits for way too much money every day. I have seen it in my practice more times that I can count. It just is what it is. Indeed, this may not even be Barta's call to make. Iowa has lawyers, adjusters, general counsel and lot's of folks making this call. Barta is doing what the experts around him recommend. That is what good CEO's do.

If you are a board of directors, and your CEO has run your company profitably for over a decade, and consistently grown its revenue and value far above other industries or market expectations, you don't fire him because of a couple lawsuits or a couple of scandals. You look at the totality of the circumstances and decide if he is doing his job well or not. Of course, that includes considering that all Big 10 schools are rising with TV revenue, so he should not get credit for all of the department's success, but he should get some. The captain of the ship gets more praise and blame than is actually deserved for sure.

I am Barta neutral. I don't think he is awesome, but I don't think he sucks simply because he hitched his wagon to a legendary football coach and is not rocking that boat. If you want to fire him for cause, with respect, settling a 20 million dollar case for 4 million dollars to put a high profile lawsuit to bed is not the dumbest thing a CEO has ever approved of. Not by a long shot.
This is a solid post, but I'm not sure Barta has "consistently grown UIowa's value far above market expectations". Court cases have factually documented he is a subpar administrator, and the UI's lawsuits haven't just been from disgruntled grunts -- they've been brought by other high-level administrators and employees responsible for much of the UI's revenue. Said lawsuits have also brought nationally negative attention to the UI brand, and likely negatively impacted Iowa's ability to recruit some top revenue producers -- i.e. football players. Under similar circumstances, it's fair to suggest any board of directors of a private company would be doing a good, hard review of the CEO. The other factor involved in such a situation is: in the national market is there a suitable potential replacement CEO in the wings? In this case, the answer is probably yes.

I didn't even think about the statue of limitations. Sucks for those guys. I got something in the mail once saying I could maybe qualify for getting money because someone else sued someone. I wasn't even sure exactly what it was so didn't do anything about it. This seems like a situation where all the other players should get a letter in the mail saying they could get some money if they wanted.
I'm not so sure that's how this would work.. I mean could Desmond King and Wirfs who put in good words for Doyle change their minds and do this now instead? I don't think so it's probably way too late or they'd have to file a new separate deal I would think. If they could even do that I don't know. This isn't a class action kind of deal at all. Either you had something specifically bad happen and you filed about it or you didn't I think is kinda my take on all this. But I could be wrong heck if I know.

Latest posts