Rob Phinisee

McHawkin

Indiana transfer Rob Phinisee tells me that he's receiving interest from the following programs:

Cincinnati
Purdue
UNLV
Ohio State
Iowa
Bradley
Cal

Per Jon Rothstein

Just kicking the tires I bet. Unless he wants to be Bowen and Perkins backup why consider Iowa if you're him? I doubt that's what he's looking for Iowa needs the body though so I do get that side of it. I just don't think the fit is what he'd want.

Indiana transfer Rob Phinisee tells me that he's receiving interest from the following programs:

Cincinnati
Purdue
UNLV
Ohio State
Iowa
Bradley
Cal

Per Jon Rothstein

Remember it was not that many years ago a player in the Big 10 had to get like the special dispensation from the Pope to transfer to another Big 10 school. Plus you had to almost always sit out a year. It is totally fluid now, total free agency.

Last edited:
Just kicking the tires I bet. Unless he wants to be Bowen and Perkins backup why consider Iowa if you're him? I doubt that's what he's looking for Iowa needs the body though so I do get that side of it. I just don't think the fit is what he'd want.
Iowa reached out to him, so clearly they're now in search of an experienced point guard with the departure of Joe Toussaint.

I actually really like Phinisee. Think he brings the attitude Iowa will be missing now that JT left. With Xavier Johnson taking the starting spot there, it makes sense for him to see what else is out there.

Iowa reached out to him, so clearly they're now in search of an experienced point guard with the departure of Joe Toussaint.
Reaching out to measure ones interest isn't the same as offering a scholly too just to be clear. Hence my kicking the tires comment. The kid played similar mins to what JT did scored about the same. I get why Iowa would want the experienced kid to come in. But they'd want him to continue being cool with playing less then 20 mins with a minimal role.

I just don't see why Rob P would. I assume he's leaving Indiana for similar reasons JT is he wants to play more then 17 mins and have a larger role. Well Iowa isn't going to promise him that. They can't.... For my $ Dasante Bowen and TP will start with PM, KM and Rebraca. Unless Fran lands a stud to replace Rebraca with so he comes off the bench that'll most likely be the lineup

Remember it was not that many years ago a player in the Big 10 had to get like the special dispensation from the Pope to transfer to another Big 10 school. Plus you had to almost always sit out a year. It is totally fluid now, total free agency.
Which I totally support, along with NIL.

Reaching out to measure ones interest isn't the same as offering a scholly too just to be clear. Hence my kicking the tires comment. The kid played similar mins to what JT did scored about the same. I get why Iowa would want the experienced kid to come in. But they'd want him to continue being cool with playing less then 20 mins with a minimal role.

I just don't see why Rob P would. I assume he's leaving Indiana for similar reasons JT is he wants to play more then 17 mins and have a larger role. Well Iowa isn't going to promise him that. They can't.... For my $ Dasante Bowen and TP will start with PM, KM and Rebraca. Unless Fran lands a stud to replace Rebraca with so he comes off the bench that'll most likely be the lineup
I just don't see Bowen coming in and being the starting PG from day one, so it makes sense to recruit a guy with high major experience who is ready for the speed and physicality of the B1G. If Fran didn't think so he wouldn't be reaching out to an experienced high major point guard.

I just don't see Bowen coming in and being the starting PG from day one, so it makes sense to recruit a guy with high major experience who is ready for the speed and physicality of the B1G. If Fran didn't think so he wouldn't be reaching out to an experienced high major point guard.
Check out some of Bowens pedigree. I think he's 6'3 185 quick plays D and can score inside and out off the dribble. I'm not expecting 14 pts and 5 assists day 1 or anything. But I bet he'll hold his own. We've had true freshman Pgs before.

Fran is reaching out because he does need a guard. That's true we are down a body and depending on if CM comes back maybe 2 but it sounds like he will. Does he need one to come in and start? Not necessarily. With what Iowa can offer him he can get that where he is at Indiana. Why leave if his goal is to play 15-20 mins in a limited role somewhere else too? He's looking to start for sure and Iowa can't promise him that and Fran wouldn't

Check out some of Bowens pedigree. I think he's 6'3 185 quick plays D and can score inside and out off the dribble. I'm not expecting 14 pts and 5 assists day 1 or anything. But I bet he'll hold his own. We've had true freshman Pgs before.

Fran is reaching out because he does need a guard. That's true we are down a body and depending on if CM comes back maybe 2 but it sounds like he will. Does he need one to come in and start? Not necessarily. With what Iowa can offer him he can get that where he is at Indiana. Why leave if his goal is to play 15-20 mins in a limited role somewhere else too? He's looking to start for sure and Iowa can't promise him that and Fran wouldn't
I don't think Bowen would beat out Ulis for the starting point guard. Get a solid high major transfer for one year and a solid high major post player and Iowa gets back into the dance next season. Give Bowen a year to adjust to the speed and the physicality of high major college basketball, after that he's the future.

If hes not ready it will be Ulis or Perkins. If Perkins moves over to the point it opens a spot for Peyton Sandfort in the lineup.

If hes not ready it will be Ulis or Perkins. If Perkins moves over to the point it opens a spot for Peyton Sandfort in the lineup.
I just can't see a freshman coming in a supplanting Ulis... it's almost laughable. If Bowen was a top 5 point guard maybe it'd be believable, but he's gonna have to really progress physically and learn the system pretty fast.

Which I totally support, along with NIL.

I support NIL to a degree. First, I do not think schools like Texas A&M should be allowed to set up big money contracts for recruits who are not even enrolled in school yet which is what I read into what is happening in some places. I havent read all the NIL legal language but it opens the door for big money boosters to buy a recruits NIL offerings as a way to get them to play at a certain school.

If a player, once in college, makes a name for themselves and can sell NIL offerings then that is their business, I guess. I am not sure if you can put a cap on yearly NIL gains.

I just can't see a freshman coming in a supplanting Ulis... it's almost laughable. If Bowen was a top 5 point guard maybe it'd be believable, but he's gonna have to really progress physically and learn the system pretty fast.
What's Ulis done to entrench himself as the starter? We've seen enough of him to know he can't shoot either. He can make FTs but his offensive game is limited as all get out. Have you seen what Bowen can do? Offensively he can do everything. He can rise up and dunk in traffic. He can score with either hand off the dribble around the rim. He has a midrange J and can hit 3s. Not to mention dribble drive to setup teammates.

You're right about the physical part I think he's listed at 185ish but that's not a deal breaker for a PG. But he will want to learn his way around the weight room. If he can play D and not turn it over a ton it'll be tough to keep him off the floor frankly.

Starting a freshman pg wouldn't be unprecedented. Mike Gessell came in day 1 and did for Fran. We've had Horner do it and Dean Oliver and I'm probably forgetting someone if I thought about it more. This Bowen kid looks legit I'm just sayin..

Earlier you'd mentioned Bowen is the future and yes hopefully. But in case you haven't noticed college hoops is year to year now. I don't think programs can do the 3 yr plan thing anymore. Every yr is it. All in so best kids play and get the time. Because good or bad kids are leaving every year or 2 just about. What do you think the odds are he graduates in 4 yrs from Iowa? (or any incoming freshman) The turnover rates are high so play em while you have em. You can't RS kids hardly and he's not a project. If you sit him too much and he's out playing the others in practice he'll just leave. You can't groom a kid like that. Turn him loose

Last edited:
I think the PG position is as wide-open as any position on the floor. Uhlis is good, but clearly we can upgrade. Fran is not afraid to start freshmen if they earn it. I am rooting for Bowen to start because that would mean he is clearly better than Uhlis and he is good enough that they can leave Perkins at the 2.

Latest posts