Rivals Write Up

Hawkfromnorwalk

Saw this link posted by Rittenberg over on ESPN. It's a Rivals write up about Iowa's team going into next season. Makes some decent points but pretty much leaves out our skill position players on offense in the article. He has us going 9-3, which is plausable given the work that needs to be done up front on the O-line. I just think Stanzi will progress and the interceptions should go down this year and with the combination of Robinson/Wegher/Hampton we should be able to do a lot more on the ground.

Assessing Iowa: Please, not another year of living dangerously - Dr. Saturday - NCAAF Blog - Yahoo! Sports

This was awsome....

The defensive line, on the other hand, will be a potential nightmare, which would be the case even if impressively dreadlock'd end Adrian Clayborn wasn't accompanied again by all three of last year's starting linemates from a defense that held five different opponents to their lowest point totals of the season. Clayborn was statistically dominant as a junior (11.5 sacks, 20 total tackles for loss) and occasionally took over big games to the extent that even casual observers had to tThe defensive line, on the other hand, will be a potential nightmare, which would be the case even if impressively dreadlock'd end Adrian Clayborn wasn't accompanied again by all three of last year's starting linemates from a defense that held five different opponents to their lowest point totals of the season. Clayborn was statistically dominant as a junior (11.5 sacks, 20 total tackles for loss) and occasionally took over big games to the extent that even casual observers had to take notice; see his season-defining punt block/touchdown return in the win at Penn State, 12-tackle/3-TFL effort at Ohio State and MVP performance in the Orange Bowl clampdown on Georgia Tech, which confirmed his place at the top of every All-America list this fall.ake notice; see his season-defining punt block/touchdown return in the win at Penn State, 12-tackle/3-TFL effort at Ohio State and MVP performance in the Orange Bowl clampdown on Georgia Tech, which confirmed his place at the top of every All-America list this fall.

I'm going to completely disagree with this statement....."Another senior with a wealth of playing time, Dan Doering, also left the building"

8-4 is my low end, 11-1 high end. Have no problems at all with someone saying 9-3 because there are some big question marks on the OL

Not bad, I've been thinking anywhere from 12-0 (dream season) to 9-3 (acceptable, anything below a disappointment). I'm gonna say 1-2 losses, Iowa in the Rose, OSU in the national championship.

Can't wait

What about the 03 season didnt we graduate 4 starting o lineman and a great qb along with 2 receivers after the orange bowl? How did that year turn out 10-2 with less talent in the skilled positions? and what about the D for 03 I cant remember who left but wasnt it like half the d. If we can go 10-2 on that I would say anything less than a run at the big ten title and nc would be a disappointment given the schedule is fairly better than last years. Not to mention we have one of thee if not the best o line coach in capt kirk right or am I total off my rocker?

Sorry I was wrong about the d but about the same in losses for the returning d this year. we lost 4 starters on d that year

Certainly helps having big games at home with OSU, Wisconsin and PSU, but AZ will be tough, ISU has the ability to always play us tough, I personally feel Michigan will be a very tough away game, and we have both Indiana and Northwestern on the road which we all understand how we LOVE to play against those two teams.

Line may not click right away, and perhaps there's some lag at Linebacker as that unit comes together... personally think 8-4 is acceptable, hoping for better though!

Ok lets try this, why is it that as iowa fans there seems to be more than not who think that we can not compete for a national title or big ten title why? Because we have only 2 linemen that have starting experience and we lost a starting corner and two line backers? Oh your right and we lost a te. Wow lets just throw in the towel and go 8-4 or 9-3 why even play the season then f it lets just take 3rd or 4 th place in the big ten.
Come on people get with the program, yes I know every time we have high expectations we all get disappointed. But this time it is real, get on the wagon have some damn pride this is america's team love it or leave it.
why cant we go undefeated why cant we win the big ten? Most of last years team returns and knows what it takes to win 8 in a row but I bet this year they will want to win 12 in a row to get where no iowa team has gone before. If I were a player and came on this site to read this oh gee maybe 8 wins I would be ******. what our own fans dont think we can beat mich osu and az or osu penn st and ia state please become a real fan and believe that we can and will compete for a national title in 2010
it can it will happen. Because I believe in capt kirk,staff, and the players

Ok lets try this, why is it that as iowa fans there seems to be more than not who think that we can not compete for a national title or big ten title why? Because we have only 2 linemen that have starting experience and we lost a starting corner and two line backers? Oh your right and we lost a te. Wow lets just throw in the towel and go 8-4 or 9-3 why even play the season then f it lets just take 3rd or 4 th place in the big ten.
Come on people get with the program, yes I know every time we have high expectations we all get disappointed. But this time it is real, get on the wagon have some damn pride this is america's team love it or leave it.
why cant we go undefeated why cant we win the big ten? Most of last years team returns and knows what it takes to win 8 in a row but I bet this year they will want to win 12 in a row to get where no iowa team has gone before. If I were a player and came on this site to read this oh gee maybe 8 wins I would be ******. what our own fans dont think we can beat mich osu and az or osu penn st and ia state please become a real fan and believe that we can and will compete for a national title in 2010

I don't think there's anyone here who thinks that we CAN'T compete for a national title. But with the question marks on the O-Line (bearing in mind that the last time we had to replace so many starters up front, Christensen was sacked 46 times), it would be foolish to EXPECT it. By saying we EXPECT to compete for a national title, we're putting all kinds of pressure on both the coaches and the players. And if they come up with a 10-2 season? Well then Kirk should be feeling some heat! See how stupid that sounds?

I think we can do it. But I won't say I'm going to be just devastated with a 10-2 record.

Not bad, I've been thinking anywhere from 12-0 (dream season) to 9-3 (acceptable, anything below a disappointment). I'm gonna say 1-2 losses, Iowa in the Rose, OSU in the national championship.

Can't wait

This can't happen unless the opponent for OSU in the title game is a Pac 10 team and I just don't see that this year. The next time a Pac10/Big10 team plays in the title game is the time that the Rose Bowl is forced to take a mid-major school as their replacement pick.

Now OSU in the title game and Iowa in a different BCS game is certainly a good possibility. I would still prefer Iowa in the NCG and OSU as the BCS at large.

This can't happen unless the opponent for OSU in the title game is a Pac 10 team and I just don't see that this year. The next time a Pac10/Big10 team plays in the title game is the time that the Rose Bowl is forced to take a mid-major school as their replacement pick.

Now OSU in the title game and Iowa in a different BCS game is certainly a good possibility. I would still prefer Iowa in the NCG and OSU as the BCS at large.

Maybe I've lost a few marbles, but why couldn't Iowa go to the Rose Bowl if OSU plays for it all? The Rose would get one of the first two picks, as OSU would have to be in the top 2. They would take Iowa (assuming that the other title game team isn't from the Pac-10). They get the Pac-10 champ by default, unless that team is in the NCG. So they take Iowa with the replacement pick, and then they pick up the Pac-10 champ.

Maybe I've lost a few marbles, but why couldn't Iowa go to the Rose Bowl if OSU plays for it all? The Rose would get one of the first two picks, as OSU would have to be in the top 2. They would take Iowa (assuming that the other title game team isn't from the Pac-10). They get the Pac-10 champ by default, unless that team is in the NCG. So they take Iowa with the replacement pick, and then they pick up the Pac-10 champ.

Agree with this scenario. Don't see Iowa getting passed on if the Rose gets a top pick for losing the B10 champ to the NCG.

I don't think anyone is saying throw in the towel, but were making general points that 8-4 IS as much reality to most people as a NC. And nobody else believes in kirk/staff because some on this board didn't post to your level of success? Is that what you're saying? Nothing wrong with shooting for the stars, but it's also wise to not live your life in a vacuum.

Also, who said nobody has pride? Who said nobody can win the big ten? who said they don't think we can beat any of the teams you mentioned?

i hope you're not referring to my post, because you made some COMPLETE over-generalizations if so. Oh, but this time it's REAL... thanks for superb message board analysis- i'm sold... Iowa NC... jeez...lol!

Well plano let me put it to you like this: 03 had to replace the same on d and more on o, ie brad banks, dallas clark, cj jones 4 linemen ,ok this year we keep our qb lose what stross and mo, and get mcnutt, three good running backs ,djk and probably the best dl that iowa has ever had. plus two great safeties and berstein at corner, jh at lb. we have 2 ol that have plenty of game experience so we need what 3 linemen and alan riesner and cj (best te prospect in the midwest if not country) to play decent, if iowa was ever set up to make a title run it is now!!! if not then you tell me when they will be set up better smart guy. Your a joke if you dont understand what i am saying ratard

Well plano let me put it to you like this: 03 had to replace the same on d and more on o, ie brad banks, dallas clark, cj jones 4 linemen ,ok this year we keep our qb lose what stross and mo, and get mcnutt, three good running backs ,djk and probably the best dl that iowa has ever had. plus two great safeties and berstein at corner, jh at lb. we have 2 ol that have plenty of game experience so we need what 3 linemen and alan riesner and cj (best te prospect in the midwest if not country) to play decent, if iowa was ever set up to make a title run it is now!!! if not then you tell me when they will be set up better smart guy. Your a joke if you dont understand what i am saying ratard

Extremely mature, btw- way to prove your message board dominance by way of name calling on a message board.

Nobody is denying that it could be a great season and nc could be on the radar. all i personally said is that it could be a challenging year, and kf touches on this often- the margin for error is very thin with our style of ball, which can and sometimes does translate into losses.

Good read! I think Iowa's worse case scenario is 8-4. High end undefeated soley because of the home games, and the road schedule is not bad! But I think we will go 11-1.

Wow. You like to point towards history so much. Remember the last time we had to retool the offensive line this much? I sure wasn't 2003. 2007 if I remember correctly. And that crew gave up 46 sacks in a 6-6 campaign. I'm not saying that it'll be like that again this year. But you can't imply that because we were successful at it before means we WILL do it again, because there is a more recent example of when we FAILED. Kind of like USC fans saying "Hey, we beat OSU!!!", "Oh yeah, well you guys also got s***stomped by Oregon and Stanford". Except that USC fans always conveniently forget that last part, sort of like what you're doing.

Latest posts