RIP Mac

That is too bad and back before espn and a few others sucked up all the games there were a lot of smaller sports networks and Mac and whats his name called a lot of Iowa and other games. His son Kent was a great shooter and a great hawk. I think Kent was a senior on Mr. Davis's last team that went into Kansas JayHawk arena and broke KU's roughly 10+ year about 88 straight game home non-conf winning streak.

That win was like a big middle finger from Mr. Davis to Bowlsby. Kent was a big time leader on that team and during his career.

That is too bad and back before espn and a few others sucked up all the games there were a lot of smaller sports networks and Mac and whats his name called a lot of Iowa and other games. His son Kent was a great shooter and a great hawk. I think Kent was a senior on Mr. Davis's last team that went into Kansas JayHawk arena and broke KU's roughly 10+ year about 88 straight game home non-conf winning streak.

That win was like a big middle finger from Mr. Davis to Bowlsby. Kent was a big time leader on that team and during his career.
Larry Morgan.

I miss him doing games and he will be missed by the Hawkeye community. Hopefully they will have plenty of chips and salsa waiting for him.

I won't lie. For a split second I thought OP was referencing another Mac, especially considering he currently has covid.

But I remember Mac well on the telecasts. Anyone remember if it was Mac or Larry Morgan with the famous "It Counts-Moses!" call after the tip in beat Indiana at Assembly Hall.

I won't lie. For a split second I thought OP was referencing another Mac, especially considering he currently has covid.

But I remember Mac well on the telecasts. Anyone remember if it was Mac or Larry Morgan with the famous "It Counts-Moses!" call after the tip in beat Indiana at Assembly Hall.
Larry.

I liked Mac doing games. Remember when Kent signed fans were so so over the signing and thought it was because of Mac's influence. Glad Kent proved em wrong! Mac was on top of the world calling games with him playing. He bled black and gold.

Interesting how the “old timers” bring back memories of great announcing. Given today’s talking heads, that recognition may go away.
Bobby Hansen doesn't seem to get the appreciation he has coming so I hope that he starts to. I've loved how he does what he does all these years he's been at it already. I've found it tough to listen to Dolph but Hansen makes doing so tolerable.

Closest thing to a 'new' guy being looked at like that down the road I can think of is Settles. He's really really good and depending on where he might take his career he could be an all timer at doing it.

Yes, thanks. Morgan and Mac made a really good team. They were definitely hawk fans compared to the other teams that Iowa was playing but they kept it pretty neutral. Mac had to love analyzing his son's games.

I can't for the life of me think of what that sports network was called. Once Raycom Sports aired the games.

Ah...............was it Leerfield Sports?

I'm sad to hear this. Mac always was an excellent analyst, and I grew up watching the Hawks and having Larry Morgan and Mac calling Iowa games. Good times.

I've always missed listening to those guys call our games. It's too bad Larry and Mac never really found a spot with the BTN calling some Iowa games at least, for whatever reason. Not sure why. IIRC 2006-07 was the last season we had them, before the BTN took over.

Bobby Hansen doesn't seem to get the appreciation he has coming so I hope that he starts to. I've loved how he does what he does all these years he's been at it already. I've found it tough to listen to Dolph but Hansen makes doing so tolerable.

Closest thing to a 'new' guy being looked at like that down the road I can think of is Settles. He's really really good and depending on where he might take his career he could be an all timer at doing it.

Agreed. Hansen is really good too, and he's been doing the radio games for as long as I can remember. I live in FL now so don't listen to games on the radio anymore, but I assume he still does.

I can't for the life of me think of what that sports network was called. Once Raycom Sports aired the games.

Ah...............was it Leerfield Sports?
It started out as the Iowa Television network but went through several incarnations.

I think it was known as both Raycon and Leerfield at different times.

Before Morgan KWWL sports anchors Ron Steele, Bob Hogue and Bob Healey did play by play. Early color analysts included Bob Schultz and Sharm Scheurman.

Bill Bolster was the person who came to the Iowa Athletic Department and proposed the idea of live basketball telecasts for select games. At first Iowa honchos were hesitant because they thought it would cut into their live gate. Bolster convinced them that the opposite would happen.

Bill was proven correct. Lute's teams were starting to hit their stride and there were several brutal Winters in Iowa in the late seventies and early eighties that made staying home a good idea. By 1980 nearly all Iowa games were telecast. The rest was history.

It started out as the Iowa Television network but went through several incarnations.

I think it was known as both Raycon and Leerfield at different times.

Before Morgan KWWL sports anchors Ron Steele, Bob Hogue and Bob Healey did play by play. Early color analysts included Bob Schultz and Sharm Scheurman.

Bill Bolster was the person who came to the Iowa Athletic Department and proposed the idea of live basketball telecasts for select games. At first Iowa honchos were hesitant because they thought it would cut into their live gate. Bolster convinced them that the opposite would happen.

Bill was proven correct. Lute's teams were starting to hit their stride and there were several brutal Winters in Iowa in the late seventies and early eighties that made staying home a good idea. By 1980 nearly all Iowa games were telecast. The rest was history.
Oh Bob Hogue for KWWL. Brings back memories!

Latest posts