RIP Grandma - Greatest Hawkeye fan I knew

SwirlinLingerie

My grandmother passed away this morning. She was 95 and got to die peacefully at home in her sleep.

She was a 1936 graduate of the University of Iowa - that's a couple years before Nile Kinnick won the Heisman.

The thing we shared over the years, more than anything else, was a love for the Hawkeyes. Growing up, she usually called our house after a big win, especially if it was over the Cyclones, a team she never learned to accept. There were points in recent years when we still talked after an exciting victory.

One of the last times I saw my grandmother was in October. I flew to Minneapolis for a weekend wedding, and between dinner and the reception, a couple friends and I stopped at a bar to watch the 4th quarter of the Iowa/Michigan State game.

The next morning, I rented a car and drove down to Central Iowa to spend a couple hours with my grandparents before my evening flight back to Seattle. Within a couple minutes of being in my grandparents' house, my grandmother and I started talking about the unbelievable finish the night before.

My grandmother's voice was weak and raspy from being 95 years old; my voice was weak and raspy from yelling at Ken O'Keefe to roll Stanzi out on the last series.

Despite that, we looked at each other and glowed. The Hawkeyes always had that effect on us.

As we sat there reliving the glory from the night before, basking in the undefeated record and magical ride, I asked her if Iowa was going to the Rose Bowl. She winked at me, struggling to raise her voice, and said "I already have my tickets."

One day I'll be in Pasadena when the black and gold swarm takes the field. I'll be caught up in the euphoria, but I'm guessing I'll shed a happy tear thinking about my grandma, too.

Nothing binds the state and the generations together like the Hawkeyes.

Go Hawkeyes, grandma. We'll miss you.

Nice memories, things you will always have. My grandfather and I were the same way. Rehash everything the next day. You and your families are in my prayers.

Sorry for your loss. I have the same interactions with my Grandfather, and it's something to cherish. The Hawkeyes will always make us think of them.

Thanks guys. It's somewhat of a relief - it was time. I wished I would have had her write down more memories of attending games in the 30s. She has some great old pictures. The thing I remember most is her talking about how muddy it was. Hope my grand kids love the Hawks one day.

What great memories you'll always have.

This reminds me of watching Iowa games with my grandpa. He would always have sound off and it drove me crazy but that's how he watched football.

Gotta love grandmas. Heck, my wife's wonderful (and dearly departed) grandma is the sole reason I finally relented and started cheering for the Huskers in bowl games. Unfortunately for my in-laws ... I'm starting to drift back to my "old ways" of cheering against them.

Very sorry to hear about your loss. You are very lucky to have had such a strong bond. Thanks for sharing your memories.

Thank you for sharing that story Swirlin...I'm glad you got to have that memory with your Grandma and I'm sorry for your loss...thoughts and prayers.

So sorry for your loss Swirlin- Great tribute post, like Jehovah said, I'm sure she would be proud :)

Wonderful post, Swirlin'! I'm so sorry for your loss. Cherish those memories! My wife's grandfather recently passed away after a long battle with Parkinson's disease. He too was a huge Hawkeye fan. They'll now have the best seats in the house wherever the Hawkeyes play!

God Bless your family. Hopefully you have great memories each time you watch or go to a game. I know I do.

Great post Swirlin! Reminded me of my Great Aunt who passed last June, she was a HUGE Hawkeye fan, never missed a telecast and up until the she got too frail to travel she never missed attending a bowl game.

Sorry to hear about your grandma. My grandma was the same way with the Cubs. Probably why the Cubs are my favorite MLB team.

Latest posts