RIP Grandma - Greatest Hawkeye fan I knew

My great Aunt and my Grandmother took me too my first Iowa football game. I will never forget the electric atmosphere around the stadium before the game. I've been a hawk ever since. My great aunt and uncle used to wait outside the stadium for opposing teams to walk in so they could offer them their deepest condolences on the loss they were about to receive. They are all gone now, but they put the black and gold into my veins. What a great gift they gave me. Though many people from around the country make fun of us because we are an agricultural state, I am very proud to be the descendant of farmers. People who knew how to work hard and have fun. I am proud to carry on the tradition. god bless them all. Go Hawks!

I'm sorry you lost your Grandma, but I understand. i hope she is seated in a mid-field kinnick section in heavan, pushing the Hawks to a nationa; championship this year.:)

Peace to you and your family.

My grandmother also passed away at 95 a few years ago.

At 95 that is a nice long life. Although we never want to see them go not many people reach that age, although more and more are doing so and that is a good thing.

My condolences to you and your family.

Thanks guys. It was a touching funeral and lots of great memories shared with family.

I noticed my grandparents' car still has a Hawkeye bumper sticker. It was one I had given my grandma years ago for her birthday, along with some other Hawkeye gear. I recall my grandfather telling me a few years back that they went to trade their car in at the local dealership, and my grandma insisted that they transfer the old Hawkeye bumper sticker onto the new car.

My last image of leaving my grandparents house this past weekend was of their car parked in the driveway, that gold Hawkeye bumper sticker on the back, with the words "It's Great to be a Hawkeye!"

Yes it is Grandma. Yes it is.

Latest posts