Riley Mulvey Reclassifies to ‘21

There was a documentary back in the '90's about a kid who graduated from Princeton at 10 and then went to medical school and was a practicing doctor when he was around 16, I believe.

We had a girl in my law school class who was only 20. Everyone felt bad for her because she couldn't drink at the bar.
What do you mean couldn't drink at the bars. The ones that do it right are drinking at the bars in a college town at age 18. Law classes or not she's doing it all wrong.

Our new kid is a 3 or 4 star. He was ranked as the 33rd best center nationally and had offers from a bunch of power 5 programs. I doubt that Fran’s decision to offer had anything to do with the transfer portal efforts. The kid is likely to end up at 7 feet and 250 in another year. Re-building the position with another on board already.

You can't teach 7 feet tall and he looks a lot more athletic than Woodbury ever did. If he can add some healthy bulk he could really be a force in time.

What do you mean couldn't drink at the bars. The ones that do it right are drinking at the bars in a college town at age 18. Law classes or not she's doing it all wrong.
Not these days, at least not in Iowa City. You have to be 21 and the cops are watching it pretty closely. A good friend of mine is an Iowa City cop and he sends us pics of the stacks of fakes he confiscates on a typical weekend.

When I was a senior in high school you could get into the bars in IC at 18 which was great for weekend visits to some freshmen friends of mine. Then went I started at Iowa the age got raised to 19 which was fine because I turned 19 shortly after first semester started. I was already 21 by the time it got raised again to 21 so I really timed it well. Thanks mom and dad!

Syracuse had offer. Michigan and Kansas also were getting interested. 6'11' 230 isn't that small for his age. Only read a little bit about him and I'm not sure why we aren't more excited about him?

Sounds like his parents have ties to Sienna and Fran knew them.

Syracuse had offer. Michigan and Kansas also were getting interested. 6'11' 230 isn't that small for his age. Only read a little bit about him and I'm not sure why we aren't more excited about him?

I'm not going to get excited until I see Lightning say he's got flat feet.

We don't get excited about our big guy recruits until they turn into All Americans. Give us a couple years...

Basing on what I am reading and hearing, he is a bit of a project. Many poo poo'd CJ until you saw him play and it became clear why it was easy to move on from Isiah Moss. Maybe it is the same deal here where we are pleasantly surprised when he steps on the court.

The criticism of Fran's recruiting is legit, but in terms of spotting guys under the radar and developing them, Fran is very good. Frankly, it is his best attribute. Don't be shocked if this kid can ball, coming out of the gate.

I hope this dude can ball, but I would suspect he will be closer to the SonderGourney end of the continuum than the Garza end of the continuum.
Not to worry, we are gonna be a wing-oriented team next year anyway, as opposed to a center team. If he can score 6-8 a game along with whatever Ogendele can contribute and rebound the ball a little (and not be a liability on defense) we will be just fine.
The more time that passes, the more optimistic I get with this team!!

I hope this dude can ball, but I would suspect he will be closer to the SonderGourney end of the continuum than the Garza end of the continuum.
Sondereiner.

I'm cautiously optimistic about Mulvey - the size/skill combo is very hard to come by so, to an extent , I think you kinda have to take what you can get. Big men are typically slow to develop so, if there are diamonds in the rough to found, often times they will be of the big man variety.

Sondereiner.

I'm cautiously optimistic about Mulvey - the size/skill combo is very hard to come by so, to an extent , I think you kinda have to take what you can get. Big men are typically slow to develop so, if there are diamonds in the rough to found, often times they will be of the big man variety.
I'm of the opinion Keegan Murray would be able to slide into the center position for a few minutes a game also. I'm pretty sure he played it from pee-wee all the way through High School. He might get pushed around a little, but great defensive position can simply deny the ball in the post.

Not these days, at least not in Iowa City. You have to be 21 and the cops are watching it pretty closely. A good friend of mine is an Iowa City cop and he sends us pics of the stacks of fakes he confiscates on a typical weekend.

When I was a senior in high school you could get into the bars in IC at 18 which was great for weekend visits to some freshmen friends of mine. Then went I started at Iowa the age got raised to 19 which was fine because I turned 19 shortly after first semester started. I was already 21 by the time it got raised again to 21 so I really timed it well. Thanks mom and dad!
Guess times have changed since the late 90's lol. I graduated high school in 97 and spent every weekend in Iowa City or Macomb and never had issues getting into bars or served back then. Simpler times lol.

Guess times have changed since the late 90's lol. I graduated high school in 97 and spent every weekend in Iowa City or Macomb and never had issues getting into bars or served back then. Simpler times lol.
They have changed since I attended college in the mid-70's. Legal age was 18 then. Never had any issues getting into bars (although I did have issues getting out a few times!)

They have changed since I attended college in the mid-70's. Legal age was 18 then. Never had any issues getting into bars (although I did have issues getting out a few times!)
I had a few issues trying to remember where I parked the car when the bar closed [or if I drove it at all.] Ah, growing up in the 70's!

I had a few issues trying to remember where I parked the car when the bar closed [or if I drove it at all.] Ah, growing up in the 70's!
I didn't have a car until I was a senior in college. There were a few times I crawled out of Joe's KnightHawk, though!

My freshmen year at North Dakota, I could not find my car in the dorm parking lot. I had some recollection of drinking at a frat house the night before, so I made like I was going for a jog behind frat row. I found my car undamaged. I must have walked home.

Sondereiner.

Riley's moves remind me of Luka in high school

He has skills and is in early development

His footwork might be a bit better than Luka's was in high school

No team is going to get a Luka Garza

Riley will fit in very well with the Twins, Patrick, Ulis and Perkins and JoeT, of course

CJ and hopefully JoeW are icing on the cake

Perhaps not to a large extent his first year, but I would not be surprised to see
him break out as the season goes on and on

Last edited:
My freshmen year at North Dakota, I could not find my car in the dorm parking lot. I had some recollection of drinking at a frat house the night before, so I made like I was going for a jog behind frat row. I found my car undamaged. I must have walked home.
Or crawled.
People diss my hometown of Ottumwa for being a shit-hole [and it is!] but it was a party town in the 70's/80's! It had the nick-name of Little Chicago for a reason.