Riley Mulvey Reclassifies to ‘21

When I said elsewhere that Fran might surprise us all with a HS recruit this Spring this isn’t what I was thinking. It’s most definitely a surprise.

Can somebody explain to me how a h.s. player simply decides he's going to begin college a year earlier than expected? Is he at a prep school or something? Or was he planning on attending a prep school next year?

Can somebody explain to me how a h.s. player simply decides he's going to begin college a year earlier than expected? Is he at a prep school or something? Or was he planning on attending a prep school next year?
My son had enough credits to graduate after his junior year. He took HS courses in MS and college courses in HS. I’m not suggesting he was a genius. I’m guessing there were at least 40 kids in his class that could have done the same.

I like the kid and all but not expecting much, if any help out of him as a high school senior. It will speed up his development though so he should contribute earlier in his career than he would have otherwise. Welcome aboard, get to work young man!

Seems like nothing should surprise a guy anymore when it comes to college athletics.

On a side not that's gotta really suck for his HS teammates.

Last edited:
My son had enough credits to graduate after his junior year. He took HS courses in MS and college courses in HS. I’m not suggesting he was a genius. I’m guessing there were at least 40 kids in his class that could have done the same.
My granddaughter did the same, graduating HS and JC (for free) at the same time. 2 years at UNI and graduate at 20 years old.

Another skinny guy for Fran....
1618193437886.png

Yes I'm a pro-typical Fran McCaffery recruit and I'm reporting for duty. I can shoot pretty well when I'm open, but I can't defend, rebound, or jump out of the gym to save my life. I'm still better than a Lickliter recruit though.

Maybe he will surprise all of us. If he can help this team be better I'm all for it.

Attachments

• 1618192826236.png
    1618192826236.png
    165 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
This increases my belief that Fran has struck out at the transfer portal.

I don't think so, no way Fran is going to replace both Nunge and Garza with a true freshman. Riley will help the depth but there are other moves to be made. I think they are still in on Robbins with Rebraca as a fall back option.

I don't think so, no way Fran is going to replace both Nunge and Garza with a true freshman. Riley will help the depth but there are other moves to be made. I think they are still in on Robbins with Rebraca as a fall back option.
I agree there's no way this has anything to do with the portal.. How would that conversation even go with this kid's family? "Hey I couldn't find a replacement for center so can your kid ditch his senior year to come bail me out?" No way a coach can say that.

I think it went more like this. "I just graduated a two time national player of the year. If you come to school a year early, we can get a jump start on making you the next one." Not that we should expect that to be the end result.

I think it went more like this. "I just graduated a two time national player of the year. If you come to school a year early, we can get a jump start on making you the next one." Not that we should expect that to be the end result.

I hope this dude can ball, but I would suspect he will be closer to the SonderGourney end of the continuum than the Garza end of the continuum.

My granddaughter did the same, graduating HS and JC (for free) at the same time. 2 years at UNI and graduate at 20 years old.

There was a documentary back in the '90's about a kid who graduated from Princeton at 10 and then went to medical school and was a practicing doctor when he was around 16, I believe.

We had a girl in my law school class who was only 20. Everyone felt bad for her because she couldn't drink at the bar.

This increases my belief that Fran has struck out at the transfer portal.
It's a little too early to tell about that. There's so so many guys in the portal yet. Maybe we won't get Robbins (that'll suck if we don't) but I'm not gonna sweat it too much. We'll be a vastly different team without Garza, JW and JBo regardless. Let's see how the dust settles and go from there.

Latest posts