Ricky Stanzi

PasadenaDreams

You really cannot say enough about this guy. In his third year and he has evolved so much. Early 2008 when came he so close but couldn't quite get it against Northwestern, Michigan State, and Illinois. Then he led(amongst Shonn Greene) his team against Penn State, the big win at Minnesota, and the Outback Bowl. We all know the heroics last year(along with the bad times) but when he played the whole game, he was 9-0. Now this year he is putting up Heisman numbers.

All of this on field progression and he does it off the field too. With the little girl that was ill that he would visit a lot in the hospital to the wrist band he is now wearing after this weekend. He is never in the papers for OWI's, Public Intox or anything. All coaches rave about him and talk about how no one works harder than he does. When he is on camera he will be the first person to give credit away to others when things are going good and the first to take the blame when something goes wrong.

Add on top of it his patriotism and all the humor and fun that has come along with it and this guy has easily become my favorite Hawkeye ever. I was a big Drew Tate fan and didn't wanna see him go...but it's just not going to be right not seeing #12 under center next year. Here's to him taking down Ohio State, the state he is from and getting the Rose Bowl him and the whole time have been working and dreaming about since they got here. Just 5 more games with the Manzi!

I personally think this is the type of guy we needed to have in order to set the tone for both preparation & character for our quarterbacks of the future. A "passing of the torch" if you will from starter to starter will start because of stanzi, and continue as the beginning of a legacy of QB's here at Iowa. Think of who we have behind him for blue-collar young adults. Vandy, Weinke, Derby, and soon to be Ruddock. These are the same "work-ethic" & "football I.Q." QB's to finally reload with. Iowa's offense (virtually every offense) goes as it's QB goes. We will always be able to run; but it will be whether we can pass or not that will put us in the BIG10 championship game year in & year out.

One rather unknown fact about Ricky Stanzi is he had a semi-famous uncle that was on TV. Maybe you've heard of him? Chuck Norris.

Yep, that pretty much explains it.

Agreed. While I loved Tate and his talent and passion...it grew old into his senior year. Jake was a complete hot head and wanted all the attention. Couldn't stand being a backup and thought he should have been the starter. It goes without saying Stanzi, was indeed the manzi for the position. I definitely think the torch will be passed to the Mandernberg...and it will be a growing pattern with Iowa QBs.

Agreed, couldn't get Jake out of there fast enough. If only RC had the rest of his sophomore year to play, we may have won a few more games that year! RC has done a tremendous job of being a senior leader and a role model for the community. I think he will pass the torch to JVB and will continue a great history of qb's to come!

It's not helpful to engage in "what if" thinking but in hindsight one wishes the staff would have yanked Jake earlier and given the job to Ricky. Clearly a leader, one who does it by attitude, passion and example. Studies tons of film, apparently. Has really grown during his time at Iowa. Don't know whether he'll get a chance to play at the next level, although obviously I hope he does. My sense is he could make a great college coach some day if that's the route he chooses to go.

I personally think this is the type of guy we needed to have in order to set the tone for both preparation & character for our quarterbacks of the future. A "passing of the torch" if you will from starter to starter will start because of stanzi, and continue as the beginning of a legacy of QB's here at Iowa. Think of who we have behind him for blue-collar young adults. Vandy, Weinke, Derby, and soon to be Ruddock. These are the same "work-ethic" & "football I.Q." QB's to finally reload with. Iowa's offense (virtually every offense) goes as it's QB goes. We will always be able to run; but it will be whether we can pass or not that will put us in the BIG10 championship game year in & year out.

This.

I would also add that Iowa will more than likely be in the top half of the Big Ten defensively most years.

It's not helpful to engage in "what if" thinking but in hindsight one wishes the staff would have yanked Jake earlier and given the job to Ricky. Clearly a leader, one who does it by attitude, passion and example. Studies tons of film, apparently. Has really grown during his time at Iowa. Don't know whether he'll get a chance to play at the next level, although obviously I hope he does. My sense is he could make a great college coach some day if that's the route he chooses to go.

It won't be because of work ethic and he has enough ability he just needs to land in the right situation. Right now there is some bad coaching going on in the NFL and 7 or 8 teams that are a complete mess. He lands in one of those type of situations he probably won't make it.

Ideally, coming in as a 3rd or 4th round pick to the Chiefs would be a good spot. I'm not crazy about Pete Carroll, but learning from a quality vet like Matt Hasselbeck in Seattle for a couple years with a shot to take over down the road would be another good situation.

Wherever he lands he will need to sit and learn for a couple of years. The league right now is so impatient with QB(s) I would hate to see him go somewhere and be forced to play before he is ready and be crushed mentally and physically and out of league without really having a chance.

There are a number of players on this team that I can't say enough about and Ricky is certainly one of them. He seems like a sincerely good young man and is a tremendous qb. Playing vs the competition he has been and putting the numbers he is, keeping in mind our offensive style, It's crazy he is not a hot Heisman candidate.

I agree he will be a good pro as long as he lands in the right situation and stays healthy. I'm not a real big NFL guy, so I'm curious what others think good situations would be for Ricky. I was thinking Indy playing behind Manning wouldn't be a bad place to land. I don't see him unseating Manning but I could see him being properly prepared in a couple of seasons when called upon due to an injury.

There are a number of players on this team that I can't say enough about and Ricky is certainly one of them. He seems like a sincerely good young man and is a tremendous qb. Playing vs the competition he has been and putting the numbers he is, keeping in mind our offensive style, It's crazy he is not a hot Heisman candidate.

I agree he will be a good pro as long as he lands in the right situation and stays healthy. I'm not a real big NFL guy, so I'm curious what others think good situations would be for Ricky. I was thinking Indy playing behind Manning wouldn't be a bad place to land. I don't see him unseating Manning but I could see him being properly prepared in a couple of seasons when called upon due to an injury.

Keep in mind he has only really been playing the pass game in about 2 games. All other 6 have been blowouts by halftime where we jump on the run run run punt game. He could have easily added about 400 or 500 yards, 6 or so TD's and an extra INT or two had Kirk Ferentz play like other teams do running up the score.

For me there are two guys that really stand out this year, Rick Stanzi and Adam Robinson. Both made massive improvements to their game this year.
The one major knock on Rick was the INT's and this year he has virtually eliminated INT's from his game.

Another good spot for Ricky to land would be Green Bay. Established starter who is smart and works very hard that he can learn from plus GB only has 2 QBs on their active roster and their coach does work pretty well with QBs.

Another good spot for Ricky to land would be Green Bay. Established starter who is smart and works very hard that he can learn from plus GB only has 2 QBs on their active roster and their coach does work pretty well with QBs.

Yeah but he'd never get a career going, Rodgers is young and will be there until he is 56. How much better would it be than the Patriots? Not only the name but work behind Brady, whom he is so similar too...but Brady is getting older, though he still has a few years. Great passing system and great coaching staff to work under.

Agreed, couldn't get Jake out of there fast enough. If only RC had the rest of his sophomore year to play, we may have won a few more games that year! RC has done a tremendous job of being a senior leader and a role model for the community. I think he will pass the torch to JVB and will continue a great history of qb's to come!

Tremendously well put sir....

stanzi has been very impressive since he got that moped back in the middle of the 2008 season...coincidence?

Latest posts