"Rick Stanzi is better than Brad Banks" - Jon Miller

Banks > Stanzi

I think Stanzi is one of the most over rated qb's in my 30+ years of Hawkeye memory. He may love U.S.A., be a great guy, do a lot of great things for the community, but i still think he is an average qb at best. I think the better qb (Vandenberg) sat on the bench all year. JMO

You might be right Hawklock00

No reason to bench Stanzi. He didn't cost us the games, our conservative play calling did. Besides, Vandenberg didn't do anything last year to prove he was better than Stanzi. How many points did we score against the Gophers at home last year?

It all depends on your definitions of Good, Better, and Best. Could Stanzi have done what 2002 Banks or 2004 Tate did when they were at their best wheeling and dealing with their feet? Probably not. They did their Houdini moves and then ran or found an open receiver. Stanzi was the more classic pocket passer. And, for a career QB, Stanzi did all right. Rick won some games for us with his arm. So, I really wouldn't want to compare.

Do you watch anyone but Iowa- right now the only QBs I would list ahead of Stanzi right now are Luck and Mallet. Mallet is purely a feast or famine QB he could be Rivers or he could be Leaf. There is no Manning in this Draft Class. There are no elite QBs in this draft class. Stanzi has received bad tutoring right now. KOK is not a good QB coach. He is an adequate OC. I have watched at least 2 games from every legit prospect- Stanzi's arm is fine, not elite. His decision making is very good. His size is great. He has decent mechanics but they can be improved. He already runs a pro offense. His long throws are above average and he plays against real defenses- not WAC and Mt. West defenses those are wide open throws. He fits the ball into windows and anticipates throws very well. When he is drafted in the third or fourth round is the fourth or fifth QB taken I am sure you will go out of your way to congratulate me.

And Locker sucks.

Stanzi's decision making is suspect at best. He's missed many open WR's the last 3-4 wks. His interceptions have also been fairly bad, as he never anticipates or sees the safety coming from the opposite side his WR is coming from. He's thrown the same GD ball for picks twice this year and should've had another one today. His deep throws have also regressed the longer he's been a starter. I have zero explanations for this, but I can't believe other Hawkeyes haven't also noticed this. He also makes his pre-snap reads and very seldom seems to deviate from those, often deciding where he's going w/ the ball before he reads the safeties post-snap.

Also, Mel Kiper said Stanzi COULD play his way into the 2nd or 3rd round, not that he will be drafted there. The last 3 games he's done little to improve or hurt his draft stock, beyond not winning games. NFL personnel will start watching film on him and they'll see the same things I've written above, and his stock will drop, as it probably should. That doesn't mean he won't be successful or get drafted by the 4th round, but NFL personnel will dissect Stanzi like nobody ever has - it's their job.

And Jake Locker is arguably the most athletically gifted QB to come out since Mike Vick. He has legit 4.4 speed and a cannon for an arm. He's always been surrounded by subpar talent, namely at OL. The issue is he's almost never raised the play of his teammates, and he's never won many games, in large part b/c he just hasn't played well. This season is also likely the only time he'll go to a bowl game. His physical tools are unreal, but until he plays better, he'll never really showcase what he can do.

Stanzi's decision making is suspect at best. He's missed many open WR's the last 3-4 wks. His interceptions have also been fairly bad, as he never anticipates or sees the safety coming from the opposite side his WR is coming from. He's thrown the same GD ball for picks twice this year and should've had another one today. His deep throws have also regressed the longer he's been a starter. I have zero explanations for this, but I can't believe other Hawkeyes haven't also noticed this. He also makes his pre-snap reads and very seldom seems to deviate from those, often deciding where he's going w/ the ball before he reads the safeties post-snap.

Also, Mel Kiper said Stanzi COULD play his way into the 2nd or 3rd round, not that he will be drafted there. The last 3 games he's done little to improve or hurt his draft stock, beyond not winning games. NFL personnel will start watching film on him and they'll see the same things I've written above, and his stock will drop, as it probably should. That doesn't mean he won't be successful or get drafted by the 4th round, but NFL personnel will dissect Stanzi like nobody ever has - it's their job.

And Jake Locker is arguably the most athletically gifted QB to come out since Mike Vick. He has legit 4.4 speed and a cannon for an arm. He's always been surrounded by subpar talent, namely at OL. The issue is he's almost never raised the play of his teammates, and he's never won many games, in large part b/c he just hasn't played well. This season is also likely the only time he'll go to a bowl game. His physical tools are unreal, but until he plays better, he'll never really showcase what he can do.

Locker reminds me a lot of Kyle Boller going into the draft. Everyone hyped his athletic ability and showed clips of him throwing 50 yard bombs from a knee. That didn't turn out well.

That's kind of the point there H8r, This OL has stunk. Reiff is decent but he's the 4th best LT Ferentz has had behind Gallery, Bulaga and Yanda. Vandervelde might be a Renaissance Man but he is not anything special. Ferentz doesn't have the strength to deal with big nose tackles. Right Guard has been a revolving door. Zusevics is the worst starting offensive lineman since Mr. called back touchdown himself, Chad Deal.

You're just flat-out wrong. Reiff is the best OL at IA, playing at a high level and he'll be a high draft pick some day for a reason. I'd also bet Zus starts getting some love and people realize he's had a very good season, not to mention he's one of the few IA OL who seem to like mixing it up and having a little afters w/ the D. He's been IA's 2nd best OL and has played at a fairly high level most of this season. Going into next season there's a very good chance IA will have the best tackles in the B10. Also, part of James' problems is Nolan Mac and Gettis being out. Until those 2 were hurt the OL was progressing very well and playing at a fairly high level, in particular since the AZ game. Those 2 get hurt and suddenly you have 2 undersized OL playing next to each other, and suddenly the offense begins to stall and sputter. Also, James is involved in many, many combo blocks, and if the guards leave early that puts James in a terrible position and he looks like he's getting beat when it's actually the guards hanging him out to dry. Next season IA may also have the best OL in the B10, shocking as that may seem to some. These guys were a huge question mark heading into the season, and overall they've exceeded expectations.

I will say that Stanzi has won a lot of games for Iowa but so did Matt Sherman and Matt Rodgers and they aren't on too many people's top 5 lists.

I will say based on their body of work:
1. Long
2. Hartlieb
3. Banks
4. Tate
5. tie - Rodgers, Stanzi

Locker reminds me a lot of Kyle Boller going into the draft. Everyone hyped his athletic ability and showed clips of him throwing 50 yard bombs from a knee. That didn't turn out well.

Man, the list you're referring to goes ~500 deep! Every year there are QB's that have all the physical tools to be studs and never pan out, for whatever reason. The biggest difference w/ Locker is his speed. I used to really think a lot of his abilities, but he really hasn't played particularly well at many points throughout his career, though it's fair to say his supporting cast (namely his OL) has never been much to brag about. I'm just saying Locker has a ridiculous amount of physical abilities, more so than Stanzi - not to mention an excuse for not achieving more. And it's not a question of if some highly touted QB will be an NFL bust...it's how many. It's almost more rare that these guys end up successes than if they're busts, but it's definitely relative to expectations.

You so called experts that think Banks was better than Stanzi or even Nathan Chandler are about to be quieted when Ricky Stanzi gets picked in the NFL draft somewhere in the 2 to 3rd round range. He is a great QB. Some better play calling to utilize he talents would help.

He could Patrick and he'll get the proper QB coaching that he deserves because KOK is a JOKE as a QB coach.

You so called experts that think Banks was better than Stanzi or even Nathan Chandler are about to be quieted when Ricky Stanzi gets picked in the NFL draft somewhere in the 2 to 3rd round range. He is a great QB. Some better play calling to utilize he talents would help.

Well, the issue as I understand it isn't whether Stanzi "will be" a better QB in the NFL, but whether he is a better college QB, but I would definitely put him ahead of Nate Chandler. Anyone who puts Chandler ahead of Stanzi has to be yanking your chain.

I agree with seepig. If Stanzi had a QB coach full-time, I'm wondering how good he could really be. We will see at the next level. BTW, Banks had what was the best offensive line in school history in front of him. That helps.

he has pretty much stunk since the weather turn cool. He has be locking on recievers and has been throwing some awful passes.

I really think the coaches caused Ricky to be way less agressive with his throws this year. I would have much rather had last years Ricky that threw a bunch of picks but made up for them later than this year's Ricky that the coaches removed his balls and was afraid to throw a pick in fear of losing the game for us.

Latest posts