"Rick Stanzi is better than Brad Banks" - Jon Miller

If I were a betting man, I'd take every cent of what you had against every cent of what I have, and say emphatically, you're on.

I think Jon wins that bet easily.

I saw some NFL draft guy on espn.com last week or 2 weeks ago said Stanzi is a late second round or early third round pick. And I doubt the last 2 weeks change that dramatically.

I think Jon wins that bet easily.

I saw some NFL draft guy on espn.com last week or 2 weeks ago said Stanzi is a late second round or early third round pick. And I doubt the last 2 weeks change that dramatically.

That would be Mel Kiper Jr.

As a pure passer, Ricky is better. Banks was a better overall player because of his athleticism, and he also had that clutch bone that made him money when it counted (Ricky had that last year, no idea where it went this year).

How many players besides Stanzi from the last 2 years would have been starting on the 2002 squad? None of the OL, Dallas Clark trumps everyone... WRs might be a push. Russell > everything else.

Stanzi will not play in the NFL.

You're correct about arm strength. But, being able to see the field and read the open receiver is pretty important.

Being accurate is pretty important.

Being able to consistently make long throws to wide open receivers is pretty important.

Being able to elude the rush scramble and make the play is pretty important.

Why is it again you think Stanzi will play in the NFL?

Do you watch anyone but Iowa- right now the only QBs I would list ahead of Stanzi right now are Luck and Mallet. Mallet is purely a feast or famine QB he could be Rivers or he could be Leaf. There is no Manning in this Draft Class. There are no elite QBs in this draft class. Stanzi has received bad tutoring right now. KOK is not a good QB coach. He is an adequate OC. I have watched at least 2 games from every legit prospect- Stanzi's arm is fine, not elite. His decision making is very good. His size is great. He has decent mechanics but they can be improved. He already runs a pro offense. His long throws are above average and he plays against real defenses- not WAC and Mt. West defenses those are wide open throws. He fits the ball into windows and anticipates throws very well. When he is drafted in the third or fourth round is the fourth or fifth QB taken I am sure you will go out of your way to congratulate me.

And Locker sucks.

Banks>Stanzi by quite a bit

Stanzi's lack of vision this season has been surprising to me, but it has been persistent

Stanzi had more games to prove it and up until the last 4 games id have agreed with Jon but not anymore.

I'd take Banks over him, Stanzi does have better pro attributes, but we will see if Stanzi has the ability to read defenses in the NFL and all that blitzing.

He has the size, ect but not sure the head.

Do you watch anyone but Iowa- right now the only QBs I would list ahead of Stanzi right now are Luck and Mallet. Mallet is purely a feast or famine QB he could be Rivers or he could be Leaf. There is no Manning in this Draft Class. There are no elite QBs in this draft class. Stanzi has received bad tutoring right now. KOK is not a good QB coach. He is an adequate OC. I have watched at least 2 games from every legit prospect- Stanzi's arm is fine, not elite. His decision making is very good. His size is great. He has decent mechanics but they can be improved. He already runs a pro offense. His long throws are above average and he plays against real defenses- not WAC and Mt. West defenses those are wide open throws. He fits the ball into windows and anticipates throws very well. When he is drafted in the third or fourth round is the fourth or fifth QB taken I am sure you will go out of your way to congratulate me.

And Locker sucks.

Locker will still get drafted ahead of Stanzi. I wouldn't be surprised if Christian Ponder and Nick Foles did too.

Stanzi is the best 7-5 QB in america!

1. Long
2. Hartlieb
3. Tate (only because of the pass)
4. Stanzi
5. Banks

really can argue the last three are tied!

How many players besides Stanzi from the last 2 years would have been starting on the 2002 squad? None of the OL, Dallas Clark trumps everyone... WRs might be a push. Russell > everything else.

That was the best Oline in the History of Iowa football, so that isnt exactly fair. The WR's are light years better right now.

Ponder is decent. He probably isn't 6'2. If you guys think Stanzi lacks arm strength than you would hate Ponder. He is smart though.

What's surprising to me are the number of passes Stanzi threw this year knowing that he needed more yds I can remember 3 times today where that occurred. It occurred in the Wisky game at the end. Poor decision making for a 5th year Sr. How many straight incompletions did he have today 7 before he caught a little fire?

What's surprising to me are the number of passes Stanzi threw this year knowing that he needed more yds I can remember 3 times today where that occurred. It occurred in the Wisky game at the end. Poor decision making for a 5th year Sr. How many straight incompletions did he have today 7 before he caught a little fire?

I'm more curious as to why we even have wide receivers and tailbacks running those type of routes on a 3rd and 10.

Last edited:
That was the best Oline in the History of Iowa football, so that isnt exactly fair. The WR's are light years better right now.

That's kind of the point there H8r, This OL has stunk. Reiff is decent but he's the 4th best LT Ferentz has had behind Gallery, Bulaga and Yanda. Vandervelde might be a Renaissance Man but he is not anything special. Ferentz doesn't have the strength to deal with big nose tackles. Right Guard has been a revolving door. Zusevics is the worst starting offensive lineman since Mr. called back touchdown himself, Chad Deal.

Latest posts