Rewatched the 2K games

This team can score inside and out. This team can make FTs. Bottom line is, if they play this type of defense each and every night, we'll win a lot of games. If they allow themselves to slide back into old habits, we won't. It takes a healthy amount of mental toughness to play good defense every night. There are going to be lapses. It's up to the coaching staff to correct those lapses, so they don't snow ball. We'll have to wait and see.

This is exactly why I’m still in the prove it frame of mind. Keeping a team focused and on track all year long is tough, especially defensively. I do like that I’m encouraged so far in what I have seen, and I still think we will know what type of team we really have by the middle of Dec after facing Pitt, Wisconsin, MSU, ISU, and UNI. I don’t ever remember a tougher first 10/11 games for Iowa.

What part of my highlighted post above did you struggle with? I’m super happy for these players and have given them credit. I’m super excited to keep watching this team. I just call it how I see it.

I struggled with you telling Iowa fans to be cautious and temper their expectations - we've done that enough. Iowa fans suffered through that last season. All expectations have been tempered and we all know this could very well be a ruse and doesn't mean "we're back" ....but this season, I am going to enjoy it instead of looking for reasons to piss on accomplishments. We all know our hearts will be ripped out...that's sports. You had em at 2-2 and Iowa is 4-0 - we already know where youre expectations were. You've told us all summer. There's a ton of season left, Iowa is going to have to earn getting back to the dance and the B1G looks better than expected, it's gonna be tough. But some of us were hopeful before the year and just because you weren't doesn't mean we need to keep our hopes in check. Some of us thought Connor was going be a good player. Some of us thought Luka was just sniffing his potential. Some of us expected the team to work on defense. Some of us said Iowa might swing like their coaches persona and come back this season and have quite the opposite play of last year. I get where you are at, I don't think any of us are putting the cart before the horse, but you were wrong so far, I suggest not digging in deeper.

Last edited:
This is exactly why I’m still in the prove it frame of mind. Keeping a team focused and on track all year long is tough, especially defensively. I do like that I’m encouraged so far in what I have seen, and I still think we will know what type of team we really have by the middle of Dec after facing Pitt, Wisconsin, MSU, ISU, and UNI. I don’t ever remember a tougher first 10/11 games for Iowa.
If we are winning holy crap we'll be deserving of a good ranking. This group is unselfish and I really like their shot selections. To me that's the players playing smart and coaching. Their drawing a ton of fouls getting in the bonus early and making a really good % of them. Things that make teams really tough to beat. One of the best things about it is we have like 3 guards that can shoot 88% or better from the line. Plus our bigs aren't bad them. (Garza is great at them) So late in games when teams have to play the foul to stop the clock game it won't work on us. It's a coaches dream scenerio

I saw a lot of missed layups in the games but I thought that they were missed because they were contested and often times reverse layups (because they were contested).

I was of the opinion that last years woes were an anomaly, and I think if you look at how Fran's teams have progressed throughout his tenure, it was pretty clear. These last two games would seem to support that, but there is still a lot of basketball to play.

If we are winning holy crap we'll be deserving of a good ranking. This group is unselfish and I really like their shot selections. To me that's the players playing smart and coaching. Their drawing a ton of fouls getting in the bonus early and making a really good % of them. Things that make teams really tough to beat. One of the best things about it is we have like 3 guards that can shoot 88% or better from the line. Plus our bigs aren't bad them. (Garza is great at them) So late in games when teams have to play the foul to stop the clock game it won't work on us. It's a coaches dream scenerio
Agree but three guards shooting 88% from the line is statistically unsustainable. And making free throws in the clutch, game on the line, is the mark of a winning team. We will see. Lots of late minute free throw clankers in Hawkeye history. So far so good. Iowa players look confident at the line, a good sign.

I struggled with you telling Iowa fans to be cautious and temper their expectations - we've done that enough. Iowa fans suffered through that last season. All expectations have been tempered and we all know this could very well be a ruse and doesn't mean "we're back" ....but this season, I am going to enjoy it instead of looking for reasons to piss on accomplishments. We all know our hearts will be ripped out...that's sports. You had em at 2-2 and Iowa is 4-0 - we already know where you're expectations were. You've told us all summer. There's a ton of season left, Iowa is going to have to earn getting back to the dance and the B1G looks better than expected, it's gonna be tough. But some of us were hopeful before the year and just because you weren't doesn't mean we need to keep our hopes in check. Some of us thought Connor was going be a good player. Some of us thought Luka was just sniffing his potential. Some of us expected the team to work on defense. Some of us said Iowa might swing like their coaches persona and come back this season and have quite the opposite play of last year. I get where you are at, I don't think any of us are putting the cart before the horse, but you were wrong so far, I suggest not digging in deeper.
JFC Guy. I like this game where you keep speaking for me about things I’ve never said. At this point I have no need to post I guess, you can just tell everyone what I said. Are you loaded again? It’s 9:25 on a Monday I’m not judging but I don’t think that’s good.

You will literally not find a single post where I ever said Iowa will go 0-2 in NYC. Never said anything of that nature. In the Iowa basketball ceiling thread I said there have been less talented teams than this who have made the tournament. After the first game I was pissed off and said if Fran continues to play Pemsl at the four this teams ceiling is NIT and 8 wins in the conference. I hope like hell that is wrong and the last two games have shown this team has NCAA potential for sure.

I’ve said a lot of stupid things on this board, and admitted I’ve been wrong on several occasions. If you want to continue to rip me to shreds for things I said or in these cases never said go right ahead. I hope I continue to be wrong about Connor and this team continues to outperform my expectations.

You know you act like this happy go lucky level headed poster, but I’m starting to think you are just a different type of D-bag.

Last edited:
I think it's TRUE that Oregon probably missed a few shots they should have made. If they make those, we end up in a 50/50 game. But that's still pretty damn good to play even at worst with a top 15 team. And that's not even factoring in that we missed some shots we should have made too.

You all are funny. I enjoy digging into the details and studying the game. I've re-watched numerous games of basketball and football over the years and have been made fun of countless time by family and friends saying I'm crazy for doing so when I've already seen it and know the outcome. In my opinion, there is nothing wrong with looking back and re-watching the games to focus on the actual play vs the first time around when emotion of a fan is involved and you don't pay as much attention to the details. Coaches and players do it, why not fans?

This is a message board and we have to wait until Wednesday night to watch the team play again. Why not dig in deeper and have a discussion about things we can look for in the next game to gauge improvement etc.?

In today's game, if a good shooting team is hot, there is little another team can do to stop it, other than hinder it a bit. Made three pointers in streaks are difficult to beat, no matter the defensive philosophy or effort. It is early in the season, even good teams are finding their shooting touch.

That said, Iowa seems interested in defense, which is an "effort" theme. We all became tired of Iowa players jogging back on D, inability to move the feet, "forgetting" to have the hands up, not hanging down, heads hanging, little emotion, etc.

Connor and Wieskamp are two new additions that seem to take fundamentals to heart and take pride in defense and being in the right place most of the time. Who from last year did this? Baer?

Cook does seem inspired, so far. He is our athlete so that is a good sign.

Of course, still lacking that guy who can break a defense down with athletic quickness but Iowa can win a lot of games with the type of game they can play, if it is inspired play, streaks of made free throws demoralize an opponent.

Connor has been doing great at breaking teams down. It's not necessarily with athletic quickness, but that doesn't matter at all.

The D looks much better no question. I really like our closeouts and how we go strait up, maintaining verticality when challenging at the rim.

With that said we led both those games throughout. A real testament to defense I think will be when we are behind and we need stops to get back into a game. That’s when your defense really needs to be locked in.

I will step in here to take my own self proclaimed "pat on the back". I stated many times that effort not skill is all that was needed for a competent defense. I believe aside from Joe that the proof of effort applied without noticable skill gain is evident. I believe we have also now seen 4 games of competent defense. That has equaled 4 wins.

I know that it is exhausting to play basketball with the effort needed to win. I applaud this teams early investment. I pray that the wins will keep them going. I really want a special basketball season and something to root for in March. At this moment in time a little dream is still alive and I will just be thankful for that.

I think it's TRUE that Oregon probably missed a few shots they should have made. If they make those, we end up in a 50/50 game. But that's still pretty damn good to play even at worst with a top 15 team. And that's not even factoring in that we missed some shots we should have made too.

I agree. One can always play the what if game and it can normally go both ways. I remember noticing Pritchard miss a contested bunny and struggling from deep and thinking man, he's having an off night. On the other end, JBo struggled shooting the rock as well. Things go both ways, well said.

Connor has been doing great at breaking teams down. It's not necessarily with athletic quickness, but that doesn't matter at all.

Exactly. Connor isn't the most athletic but he has length at his position and has played with smarts thus far. He's been calm and patient waiting for the passing lane to open and picking his spots of when to attack. I really like how he has played towards the mismatches by finding the post guys when they are open and have position.

Ya it's not that super sexy way of unstoppable penetration that we all wish for, but hey at the end of the day I don't care how the butcher skinned the pig. Just so long as I get my bacon.

Well said. It was awesome to win both of those games with relative ease down the stretch, and Iowa deserves a lot of credit for that, no question.

I have to imagine at some points this year we will find ourselves behind in the 2H or in a tight game. In years past Fran’s teams haven’t been great in those situations so it will be interesting to see how this team can handle them. They have certainly shown the ability to knock down free throws which is a great place to start.

Agree but three guards shooting 88% from the line is statistically unsustainable. And making free throws in the clutch, game on the line, is the mark of a winning team. We will see. Lots of late minute free throw clankers in Hawkeye history. So far so good. Iowa players look confident at the line, a good sign.
It may not end up happening but it won't be because of math. Moss, JBo and CM are perfectly capable of hitting their free throws. They've shown that. CM has the smallest sample size but even 85% would be pretty darn good. I just think their even better than that. We'll see

JFC Guy. I like this game where you keep speaking for me about things I’ve never said. At this point I have no need to post I guess, you can just tell everyone what I said. Are you loaded again? It’s 9:25 on a Monday I’m not judging but I don’t think that’s good.

You will literally not find a single post where I ever said Iowa will go 0-2 in NYC. Never said anything of that nature. In the Iowa basketball ceiling thread I said there have been less talented teams than this who have made the tournament. After the first game I was pissed off and said if Fran continues to play Pemsl at the four this teams ceiling is NIT and 8 wins in the conference. I hope like hell that is wrong and the last two games have shown this team has NCAA potential for sure.

I’ve said a lot of stupid things on this board, and admitted I’ve been wrong on several occasions. If you want to continue to rip me to shreds for things I said or in these cases never said go right ahead. I hope I continue to be wrong about Connor and this team continues to outperform my expectations.

You know you act like this happy go lucky level headed poster, but I’m starting to think you are just a different type of D-bag.

If Iowa was 2-2 and I was on here telling people to relax and that there was still plenty of season left, you’d still be calling me names I guess, so that makes me the Dbag. Haha. Ok. Got it. There’s no way based on your summer of posting you thought Iowa would be anything other than 2-2 at this point. You’re wrong a lot, it’s fun to tell you when you are cause that’s what you guys do to me. Is turn about fair play or do I always have to be the one who’s wrong?

Last edited:
It may not end up happening but it won't be because of math. Moss, JBo and CM are perfectly capable of hitting their free throws. They've shown that. CM has the smallest sample size but even 85% would be pretty darn good. I just think their even better than that. We'll see
JBo is a 90% guy. Cmac has certainly shown he can knock them down. Moss is rarely going to be in at the end of close games due to his ball handling issues.

I’m also not tearing you the shreds, I’m commenting on your post. Like you said this is a message board and that’s we do, we talk about Iowa hoops. So far you were way wrong on things, we’re both enjoying that fact. Even though you were wrong I don’t think you’re a douchbag. You’re pretty cool, not very right about Iowa basketball, but pretty cool. Go Hawks

Well said. It was awesome to win both of those games with relative ease down the stretch, and Iowa deserves a lot of credit for that, no question.

I have to imagine at some points this year we will find ourselves behind in the 2H or in a tight game. In years past Fran’s teams haven’t been great in those situations so it will be interesting to see how this team can handle them. They have certainly shown the ability to knock down free throws which is a great place to start.

The good news is that we don't need to win every game. I highly doubt we would anyways. Even if we brought our A game every night it still probably wouldn't be enough to win em all. I could see 22 wins though. Maybe 25 if all things just went perfect all season long. That would be pretty magical.

Here are Connor's HS Stats:
upload_2018-11-19_10-21-37.png