Rewatched the 2K games

NikeHawk21

Just rewatched both games because I’m weird like that. Sometimes it’s nice to watch without the emotion of winning or losing. Saw some things that maybe didn’t stick out watching live.

The good:

-Weiskamp defense. People remember his struggles on offense, but his defense was really good. Against Oregon he was on Paul White a 5th year senior and White could not get a step on him. In the zone Weiskamp’s athleticism and length allows him to cover a lot of ground.

-Moss jump shot. I know everyone wants him to do other things, but I don’t think people give him credited for how well he can stroke it. If his feet are set and he has room he can really shoot it. Made two in both games and had two others that were halfway down.

-Cook’s engagement. He’s just playing a lot harder and with much more emotion this year. You can tell he really wants the team to play well.

-Offensive rebounding. In two games where I would say our offense never totally clicked, although it was pretty good against UConn, we hit the offensive glass in both games and got a lot of extra possessions.

The bad:

-Kriener’s defense. Kriener had a good tournament overall I think and proved he’s a capable reserve big man, but his defense wasn’t great. In the Oregon game he gave up a couple baseline drives for easy buckets. In the UConn game he came in and UConn got two or three easy buckets on him before he picked up two quick fouls.

-Jbo. He didn’t have a good tournament in my estimation. Had some silly turnovers and had some difficulty handling the pressure. Didn’t shoot well either. I’m not overly concerned because I think he will get it going.

The part you don’t want to hear:

-We played two teams on bad nights. Okay I know someone is going to say well Iowa caused that, and they most certainly did in part. Last year I often said the reason teams shot the lights out against us is because we let them get their confidence and rhythm early so Iowa deserves credit for limiting the defensive breakdowns and easy baskets to let these teams get comfortable, but with that said I still have to call a spade a spade. I think I counted Oregon missed 7 or so layups in the second half alone and we were up between 7-10 most of the half. Iowa challenged some of these but for the most part these were routine shots for a college player. UConn started something like 0-13 on 3s with 15 turnovers, I don’t care how good you are, that’s not all great defense. Many of Uconn’s turnovers were unforced, a few travels and simple passes thrown away. That’s part of the game and it was nice to see Iowa catch some breaks.

Overall, two great wins at the Mecca MSG. A lot of things to be excited for going forward with this team. As Hawkeye fans we should also know not to get too high with our expectation as we have been let down before. Hopefully this team continues to play very hard and improve, but I think they’ve shown the potential is there for a very good season.

Can’t wait until our next game to watch this team again!

If the D is sustainable(which i believe it is) I am not concerned about the other stuff.
The D looks much better no question. I really like our closeouts and how we go strait up, maintaining verticality when challenging at the rim.

With that said we led both those games throughout. A real testament to defense I think will be when we are behind and we need stops to get back into a game. That’s when your defense really needs to be locked in.

Rewatched the UConn game today and unless I am mistaken our defensive effort is a thousand times better this year compared to last year. Watch Cook on defense. Night and day difference in his defensive intensity. I believe the whole team is better defensively. All we need to have a significantly better record is an average defense. The defense the last two games has been better than average. I hope it continues.

Just have to wait and see how it plays out. You can go back and watch the Green Bay game and see the same poor defense as last year so did things really change in five days? Iowa actually led for 99 percent of the MSG games, so again, have to see how they respond if they get punched in the mouth and down by ten early. Last year we also dug ourselves a hole quite often in the first half, then the reserves would come in and keep it close or cut into the lead only to bring the starters back in and the other team would go on a run again to basically take control before halftime. Plus/minus for starters last year were ridiculously bad. If Iowa can jump out to early leads and put the pressure on the opposition, that's always going to help the defense. Make them have a sense of urgency and panic instead of the other way around.

Just have to wait and see how it plays out. You can go back and watch the Green Bay game and see the same poor defense as last year so did things really change in five days? Iowa actually led for 99 percent of the MSG games, so again, have to see how they respond if they get punched in the mouth and down by ten early. Last year we also dug ourselves a hole quite often in the first half, then the reserves would come in and keep it close or cut into the lead only to bring the starters back in and the other team would go on a run again to basically take control before halftime. Plus/minus for starters last year were ridiculously bad. If Iowa can jump out to early leads and put the pressure on the opposition, that's always going to help the defense. Make them have a sense of urgency and panic instead of the other way around.
Exactly. It’s easier to play defense when things are going well, and let’s face it things went very well for us in those two games. That’s not to discredit the players for playing two great games, it’s just to there is still plenty to prove defensively. Let’s hope they continue to prove they can play on that end.

I really think they used the first two games to figure out some offensive cohesion. Didnt really care to force the kids to play defense.
It appears they have their line up and substitution pattern figured out.

Just rewatched both games because I’m weird like that. Sometimes it’s nice to watch without the emotion of winning or losing. Saw some things that maybe didn’t stick out watching live.

The good:

-Weiskamp defense. People remember his struggles on offense, but his defense was really good. Against Oregon he was on Paul White a 5th year senior and White could not get a step on him. In the zone Weiskamp’s athleticism and length allows him to cover a lot of ground.

-Moss jump shot. I know everyone wants him to do other things, but I don’t think people give him credited for how well he can stroke it. If his feet are set and he has room he can really shoot it. Made two in both games and had two others that were halfway down.

-Cook’s engagement. He’s just playing a lot harder and with much more emotion this year. You can tell he really wants the team to play well.

-Offensive rebounding. In two games where I would say our offense never totally clicked, although it was pretty good against UConn, we hit the offensive glass in both games and got a lot of extra possessions.

The bad:

-Kriener’s defense. Kriener had a good tournament overall I think and proved he’s a capable reserve big man, but his defense wasn’t great. In the Oregon game he gave up a couple baseline drives for easy buckets. In the UConn game he came in and UConn got two or three easy buckets on him before he picked up two quick fouls.

-Jbo. He didn’t have a good tournament in my estimation. Had some silly turnovers and had some difficulty handling the pressure. Didn’t shoot well either. I’m not overly concerned because I think he will get it going.

-We played two teams on bad nights. Okay I know someone is going to say well Iowa caused that, and they most certainly did in part. Last year I often said the reason teams shot the lights out against us is because we let them get their confidence and rhythm early so Iowa deserves credit for limiting the defensive breakdowns and easy baskets to let these teams get comfortable, but with that said I still have to call a spade a spade. I think I counted Oregon missed 7 or so layups in the second half alone and we were up between 7-10 most of the half. Iowa challenged some of these but for the most part these were routine shots for a college player. UConn started something like 0-13 on 3s with 15 turnovers, I don’t care how good you are, that’s not all great defense. Many of Uconn’s turnovers were unforced, a few travels and simple passes thrown away. That’s part of the game and it was nice to see Iowa catch some breaks.

Overall, two great wins at the Mecca MSG. A lot of things to be excited for going forward with this team. As Hawkeye fans we should also know not to get too high with our expectation as we have been let down before. Hopefully this team continues to play very hard and improve, but I think they’ve shown the potential is there for a very good season.

Showing up ready to play is key part of the sport. That’s coaching. It’s about time Iowa saw some teams that showed up and had bad nights. It’s about time Iowa showed up and was ready for the occasion. Just saying “well, don’t get your hopes up because both teams they played had bad nights” is the biggest back handed compliment you can give this team and is overall a huge cop out to be a wet blanket on the team winning a one of these non con big name tournaments we always dream of winning. They won, they beat two good teams no one expected. They’ve lost these games in the past under Fran. They’ve been close, but they never were “up for it”. They were the team that had “bad nights”, that didn’t show up to play in the past. Now Iowa is the one that wins and Iowa fans get to enjoy that. To get excited. To hope. That’s how it works. I know we don’t really want to give them credit for it, but unfortunately we should. They earned it. No one is “too high” on the team, they are reacting and enjoying the moment. You can’t wallow in the misery of last year and then tell Iowa fans they need to stay in their lane when something good happens. Iowa hoop fans were plenty humbled last season, no need to remind us every 10 minutes of it. We know we all experienced it. It’s hard for you to cope with because less than a week ago you were dropping all this knowledge on this board. I watched both games again and Iowa looked more impresssive on the 2nd viewing. They dominated that tournament.

The good:

The bad:

How can you say that last year teams shot well against us because we let them, but now when team shoots poorly against us it isn't because we forced that as well?

Oregon isn't a bad team, they shot 32% from 3 which isn't awful. Sure they missed some contested shots at the basket, because they were contested. Iowa also missed it's fair share of bunnies around the rim. It isn't like one team shot lights out while the other shot horribly. Iowa made less FG than Oregon did, shot less than 1% better than Oregon did, had 5 more TO than Oregon did, and completely controlled that game, and the game was never in doubt.

We played a highly rated Oregon team that traveled across the country for it. Yet it was a defacto home game for UConn. So I'm not sure how that factors in if at all. The main thing to nit pick about to me is turnovers. Our shot selection and ability to get good looks has been just awesome. Without even really running a ton and getting quick transition buckets. Not to mention getting to the line and making the most of any other team in all of college hoops. So if we continue doing that and just cut down on our turnovers that makes us a tough out for anybody

Overall, two great wins at the Mecca MSG. A lot of things to be excited for going forward with this team. Hopefully this team continues to play very hard and improve, but I think they’ve shown the potential is there for a very good season.
Showing up ready to play is key part of the sport. That’s coaching. It’s about time Iowa saw some teams that showed up and had bad nights. It’s about time Iowa showed up and was ready for the occasion. Just saying “well, don’t get your hopes up because both teams they played had bad nights” is the biggest back handed compliment you can give this team and is overall a huge cop out to be a wet blanket on the team winning a one of these non con big name tournaments we always dream of winning. They won, they beat two good teams no one expected. They’ve lost these games in the past under Fran. They’ve been close, but they never were “up for it”. They were the team that had “bad nights”, that didn’t show up to play in the past. Now Iowa is the one that wins and Iowa fans get to enjoy that. To get excited. To hope. That’s how it works. I know we don’t really want to give them credit for it, but unfortunately we should. They earned it. No one is “too high” on the team, they are reacting and enjoying the moment. You can’t wallow in the misery of last year and then tell Iowa fans they need to stay in their lane when something good happens. Iowa hoop fans were plenty humbled last season, no need to remind us every 10 minutes of it. We know we all experienced it. It’s hard for you to cope with because less than a week ago you were dropping all this knowledge on this board. I watched both games again and Iowa looked more impresssive on the 2nd viewing. They dominated that tournament.
What part of my highlighted post above did you struggle with? I’m super happy for these players and have given them credit. I’m super excited to keep watching this team. I just call it how I see it.

The question is, how many times did we give an uncontested shot attempt? I remember some here and there, but not very many. Last year teams got uncontested shots almost every time down the floor. Our defense was probably 90% of the reason the other teams struggled shooting. The other 10% was luck. I'll take those odds in 9 and 19 point wins.

How can you say that last year teams shot well against us because we let them, but now when team shoots poorly against us it isn't because we forced that as well?

Oregon isn't a bad team, they shot 32% from 3 which isn't awful. Sure they missed some contested shots at the basket, because they were contested. Iowa also missed it's fair share of bunnies around the rim. It isn't like one team shot lights out while the other shot horribly. Iowa made less FG than Oregon did, shot less than 1% better than Oregon did, had 5 more TO than Oregon did, and completely controlled that game, and the game was never in doubt.
Probably because that’s basketball. The same reason after the Green Bay game when everyone was having a cow about Iowa allowing 80 points I said our defense looked much better than it did in the first game. Sometimes guys just make tough shots. Sometimes they don’t.

Iowa’s defense was good and effort was awesome in those two games at the Garden. I’ve said that. Let’s hope it continues and it will be a very fun season.

The reason I am tempering expectations ( @InGoodCo ) still is because I’ve seen a lot of college basketball. Last year Arizona State cracked the top 10 early in the year and barely made the dance. Heck we’ve seen that before with our very own Iowa teams. Just because I’ve tempered my expectations doesn’t mean I’m not enjoying this.

Edit. In regards to your the first part of your post I literally didn’t say that. Re-read my post. I touched on both matters and how Iowa deserves credit for not letting Oregon and UConn get in a rhythm. It’s like you guys only read the parts of my post you wanted to hear so you could challenge them.

Last edited:
I can't help but laugh at people that re-watch the games and then come here to give us their analysis like it makes their opinions better.

Go volunteer as a youth coach or something. :)
This is an Iowa BB message board, where we talk about... you guessed it... Iowa basketball. It’s not about making my opinions any better or worse, it’s simply about talking Iowa hoops.

The question is, how many times did we give an uncontested shot attempt? I remember some here and there, but not very many. Last year teams got uncontested shots almost every time down the floor. Our defense was probably 90% of the reason the other teams struggled shooting. The other 10% was luck. I'll take those odds in 9 and 19 point wins.
This^^. It's amazing what happens when you contest shots. Play defense with effort and intensity. Make your rotations. Get your hands up, Contest shots and passing lanes. Rebound the basketball. Do these things and good things generally happen. Even on the nights when you're not shooting well on offense.

This is an Iowa BB message board, where we talk about... you guessed it... Iowa basketball. It’s not about making my opinions any better or worse, it’s simply about talking Iowa hoops.

yeah, I know....just strikes me as funny. I don't have time to re-watch games, heck I'm a huge Cubs fan and I haven't even re-watched the WS win yet and I have it DVR'd.

In today's game, if a good shooting team is hot, there is little another team can do to stop it, other than hinder it a bit. Made three pointers in streaks are difficult to beat, no matter the defensive philosophy or effort. It is early in the season, even good teams are finding their shooting touch.

That said, Iowa seems interested in defense, which is an "effort" theme. We all became tired of Iowa players jogging back on D, inability to move the feet, "forgetting" to have the hands up, not hanging down, heads hanging, little emotion, etc.

Connor and Wieskamp are two new additions that seem to take fundamentals to heart and take pride in defense and being in the right place most of the time. Who from last year did this? Baer?

Cook does seem inspired, so far. He is our athlete so that is a good sign.

Of course, still lacking that guy who can break a defense down with athletic quickness but Iowa can win a lot of games with the type of game they can play, if it is inspired play, streaks of made free throws demoralize an opponent.

This team can score inside and out. This team can make FTs. Bottom line is, if they play this type of defense each and every night, we'll win a lot of games. If they allow themselves to slide back into old habits, we won't. It takes a healthy amount of mental toughness to play good defense every night. There are going to be lapses. It's up to the coaching staff to correct those lapses, so they don't snow ball. We'll have to wait and see.