Respect

Yes and no. tOSU is the one under the microscope. They're the ones who gave the conference the bad rap. In my opinion them in the rose bowl were the only ones who could reverse it. In terms of the conference, it doesn't matter what happens now. Wiscy beating the speedy Canes, PSU beating the tigers, and tOSU beating the Ducks solidifies the return of the big 10. This will help the rankings of all the big 10 teams next year. Iowa beating GaTech will only be a cherry on top in terms of the conference.

Yes and no. tOSU is the one under the microscope. They're the ones who gave the conference the bad rap. In my opinion them in the rose bowl were the only ones who could reverse it. In terms of the conference, it doesn't matter what happens now. Wiscy beating the speedy Canes, PSU beating the tigers, and tOSU beating the Ducks solidifies the return of the big 10. This will help the rankings of all the big 10 teams next year. Iowa beating GaTech will only be a cherry on top in terms of the conference.

But, with MSU standing literally no chance vs TTech, an Iowa loss would put the conference at 3-4...suddenly it's Ohio State and PSU looking good, not the conference as a whole.

The Big Ten should start getting the respect now, they have beaten the #7, #15 and #17 teams in the country for their 3 bowl wins so far. If Iowa wins they will have 4 wins over top 20 teams and 2 over top 10 teams and no other conference will have that many wins over top 10 or top 20 teams.

I do agree that alot of it hinges on the Buckeyes because of their lackluster bowl record the past few years though...I just think their win also needs accompany a winning record by the conference.

But, with MSU standing literally no chance vs TTech, an Iowa loss would put the conference at 3-4...suddenly it's Ohio State and PSU looking good, not the conference as a whole.

Maybe...there is a good chance that Tech is going to be just as distracted as MSU is. Then again, I would assume that MSU is going to be missing a lot of starters.

Maybe...there is a good chance that Tech is going to be just as distracted as MSU is. Then again, I would assume that MSU is going to be missing a lot of starters.

MSU is bringing in the cast of Necessary Roughness and Gus, The FieldGoal Kicking Mule, to fill the roster...

For the last few years the big sticking point was that the Big 10 couldn't win the big games. Our bowl record and sometimes our regular season non-con record backed it up. This bowl season the Big 10 has won three of the four games where the opponent was ranked, Iowa being the unknown so far. As far as NW losing to Auburn, and Minny losing to ISU, and possibly MSU losing to TTech, who cares? All three of those opponents are mediocre at best. The media wants to see the conference win the big games, and so far, that is what we have done, including the "Grandaddy of them All".

We still need to win for our own respect going forward, a loss and they will say they were right about us the whole time.

We still need to win for our own respect going forward, a loss and they will say they were right about us the whole time.

True, but this thread isn't necessarily about Iowa. In general, the Big 10 (other than Minnesota, but what else is new) has accounted for itself very well.

That's understandable and I want it to be known that this has to do with Big 10 respect and not Hawkeye respect. I totally agree that in terms of our own respect, we have to beat the Techies Tuesday. In terms of the conference respect, I don't think it matters too much. If Iowa wins, it's a cherry on top. If not, the media will focus on the Wiscy, PSU, tOSU wins.

In terms of national scribes, tOSU winning, and PSU winning, that's it. Wisky beating up Miami and if Iowa beats G Tech are icing.

It almost sounds like we're admitting Iowa doesn't matter much nationally...and isn't that what we've been complaining about all season?

It almost sounds like we're admitting Iowa doesn't matter much nationally...and isn't that what we've been complaining about all season?

When you put it like that it does sound a little fishy. In my opinion however Iowa is one of those teams that is on the brink of national attention, but hasn't been pushed over the edge. When the national media thinks Big 10, they think Ohio State, Penn State, and Michigan. Of course Michigan has fallen off the last few years so the conference needs another team to step up and fill that void. If we win, maybe that can be us. Otherwise however in terms of historic Big 10 national respect, the only two games that matter to them this post season are PSU beating LSU and tOSU beating Oregon.

When you put it like that it does sound a little fishy. In my opinion however Iowa is one of those teams that is on the brink of national attention, but hasn't been pushed over the edge. When the national media thinks Big 10, they think Ohio State, Penn State, and Michigan. Of course Michigan has fallen off the last few years so the conference needs another team to step up and fill that void. If we win, maybe that can be us. Otherwise however in terms of historic Big 10 national respect, the only two games that matter to them this post season are PSU beating LSU and tOSU beating Oregon.

I don't know why my undies are in a bunch about it anyway...the Hawks WILL win and none of the semantics will matter! :D

I don't know why my undies are in a bunch about it anyway...the Hawks WILL win and none of the semantics will matter! :D

I know. I don't know why I keep using "if" when referring to the game. Iowa will roll into Miami and destroy GaTech, and in the process will impregnate all the women within a 20 mile radius, without ever dropping their pants.

I know. I don't know why I keep using "if" when referring to the game. Iowa will roll into Miami and destroy GaTech, and in the process will impregnate all the women within a 20 mile radius, without ever dropping their pants.

You serious? Dammit, I knew I should've gone to the game...:mad: