Report: Charlie Jones Headed to Purdue

Thanks, Rob. I heard from an anonymous source in Iowa City that Brian Ferentz is currently locked in Kurt's basement playing Tecmo Bowl (the original) attempting to figure out which playbook to switch to after this departure because he doesn't want Purdue to have all of our plays. We currently run the Giants playbook, but my source says the Cowboys playbook is the current leader in the clubhouse. Moral of the story, expect some growing pains while guys adjust to new routes and assignments. This departure was really poorly timed. For reference, please see the link below which has all playbooks. I wouldn't be surprised if he is saying "Cowboys" as subterfuge and then goes with the Broncos.

Tecmo Bowl Play Books - TECMO BOWL VS R.B.I. BASEBALL (tecmobowl-vs-rbi.com)

Ahh, transfer portal, hero to goat in two words. Jones was the only offensive player I really loved to watch last year besides Laporta. I hope it was only about NIL, which in itself makes me mad that Iowa is not being proactive with it, but if it's about Brian's inability to convince Jones about his increased role in the offense it doesn't bode well for Iowa going forward. If Brian can't sell his own lightly regarded transfer who then makes All Big Ten to stay at Iowa my belief that he will be successful this year are NIL. I now watch for the Defense and Special teams. The O is unwatchable. What happens now if Brain's offense continues to go belly up this year and we are giving players no NIL opportunities. I'll tell you, basement dwellers who will struggle mightily to beat the powerhouses of the MAC. The talent is there, the coaching is not, at least not on offense.

The good news at least at this point, is that the 22&23 recruiting classes look very promising. Now get NIL in place. I do recall that the racial unrest at Iowa would kill our recruiting according to some on HN. Interesting that there seems to be no effect. 22 offense???

I'm over it. Iowa is a 8 or 9 win team this year, with or without Mr. Jones. Good for Charlie, he will end up with a program who will get the same amount of wins and he will improve his draft stock. If Nwankpa, Dejean or even Ragini turn out to be a decent punt returner...CJ leaving won't be a big deal.

I'm over it. Iowa is a 8 or 9 win team this year, with or without Mr. Jones. Good for Charlie, he will end up with a program who will get the same amount of wins and he will improve his draft stock. If Nwankpa, Dejean or even Ragini turn out to be a decent punt returner...CJ leaving won't be a big deal.
Elite punt returners in the BTen are fairly rare, and it takes a special combo of athleticism & attitude (see Tim Dwight) to be really special. Jones was special, and it's unlikely anybody on Iowa's roster will match his output returning punts. And if Iowa wins 8 or 9 games this year, I will be pleasantly surprised.

Wow this generation really is the what have you done for me lately group not that I blame them but just no loyalty anymore.it’s not like we are just losing guys that didn’t make the 3 deep which is very disturbing. giving up starters to the portal and getting nothing in return can’t be a winning model.surely Kirk hasnt just put the cruise on the Tesla headed into retirement like Hayden did

Elite punt returners in the BTen are fairly rare, and it takes a special combo of athleticism & attitude (see Tim Dwight) to be really special. Jones was special, and it's unlikely anybody on Iowa's roster will match his output returning punts. And if Iowa wins 8 or 9 games this year, I will be pleasantly surprised.

Unless the FG kicker is dogshit they will win at least 8 games.

Iowa ranked 109th out of 130 FBS programs in passing offense for '21. It averaged 180.1 yards a game with 12 passing touchdowns.

This.

True but to me all they gotta do is be smart when fielding them. Don't field one inside the 10. Don't drop any. Anything more than that without fumbling is a bonus.

Unless the FG kicker is dogshit they will win at least 8 games.
We've been so fortunate with FG kickers the last 10 plus yrs... If the next one is even half as good as any of the recent guys we've had we'll be lucky.

So who are the 8 or 9 wins coming from. For me 9 wins is a BIG STRETCH and 8 is tough number for me to come up with and you act like 8 is a LOCK. :)

So who are the 8 or 9 wins coming from. For me 9 wins is a BIG STRETCH and 8 is tough number for me to come up with and you act like 8 is a LOCK. :)

Take out the covid year the last time they won less than 8 games was 2014. Losing your only homerun hitters(Goodson and Jones) on a already bad offense does make me nervous. Not knowing what to expect from the FG kicker makes me even more nervous. All that being said, I do believe 8+ wins is a LOCK I guarantee it.;)

Take out the covid year the last time they won less than 8 games was 2014. Losing your only homerun hitters(Goodson and Jones) on a already bad offense does make me nervous. Not knowing what to expect from the FG kicker makes me even more nervous. All that being said, I do believe 8+ wins is a LOCK I guarantee it.;)
I think a lot of fans simply forget the win totals that KF and Co. have been putting on the board the last 5-6 years because of how ugly Iowa plays to get those wins. If the over/under was set at 8, and you had to bet one or the other, recent history says bet the over.

There are holes on this team, but that is true of everyone outside the anointed 4-5 teams at the top. But, the defense should be salty again and the offense almost has to be a little bit better. Having an unproven FG kicker may usher in the return of New Kirk, so maybe we go for it on 4th a lot more. Fine by me.

I think a lot of fans simply forget the win totals that KF and Co. have been putting on the board the last 5-6 years because of how ugly Iowa plays to get those wins. If the over/under was set at 8, and you had to bet one or the other, recent history says bet the over.

There are holes on this team, but that is true of everyone outside the anointed 4-5 teams at the top. But, the defense should be salty again and the offense almost has to be a little bit better. Having an unproven FG kicker may usher in the return of New Kirk, so maybe we go for it on 4th a lot more. Fine by me.
The holes are maddening. What makes Iowa...Iowa is that the team usually has about 85% or more of a playoff team and the holes are hard to explain.

Latest posts