Remember the plane messages?

IowaHOCKS23

When I was little, one of the cool things about the games were the planes that flew advertisements over the game...

im older so maybe I just don't notice but do they still do it? Is it legal (I think it was pre-9/11 that I remember them from)

sorry for the break in action, was just curious.

I have not seen one of these in a long time.

In the mid 70's we were sitting in the best part of the student section, which back then was about the 30 yard line 50 rows up, when a helicopter towing a sign lost power.

I and just a couple of other people noticed it as it sort of floated down to soft crash landing. I found out later in the paper that the pilots could disengage the rotors to "float" down if you want to call it that.

My thoughts were if that helicopter crashed into the crowd it would have been terrible.

Being the month of Halloween, I would be looking for this message in the Kinnick Sky during the Northwestern game:

th

surrender-1.jpg

I think FAA rules now state no Aircraft are allowed within X miles of a stadium that is in use for X hours before, during and after events. The UIHC has exemption from this rule for its helicopters.

My favorite memories of my first trips to Kinnick as a kid in the late 70's and early 80's:
'Read the Big Peach' airplane sign (for those of you too young to remember, the DM Register sports section used to be printed on peach colored paper and was called The Big Peach).

The Scottish Highlanders playing bagpipes at halftime.

The occasional whiffs of pipe tobacco smoke from the old man sitting down the row.

Latest posts