Remaining B1G West Schedules

Fryowa

Administrator
Okie doke...

I want to preface this by saying that (as you know) we haven't even played a division game yet, and Iowa could completely shit the bed.

But...we are 3-0 and our next closest division teams are 1-1. It's time to start thinking about winning the West. Not assuming it, or thinking it's probable, but just thinking about it. We have a decent head start and a (for lack of a better term) "favorable" schedule left.

Remaining B1G West schedules:

Iowa 3-0PurdueBYE@ Wisconsin@ NWMinnesotaIllinois@ nebraska
Minnesota 1-1nebraskaMaryland@ NWIllinois@ Iowa@ IndianaWisconsin
Purdue 1-1@ IowaWisconsin@ nebraskaMichigan State@ Ohio State@ NWIndiana
Wisconsin 1-2Army@ PurdueIowa@ RutgersNWnebraska@ Minnesota
nebraska 1-3@ MinnesotaBYEPurdueOhio StateBYE@ WisconsinIowa
Illinois 1-3BYE@ Penn StateRutgers@ MinnesotaBYE@ IowaNW
NW 0-2Rutgers@ MichiganMinnesotaIowa@ WisconsinPurdue@ Illinois

Taking a look at the East Schedules is also interesting. I got to think the chances of losses for each of these teams all in the running there:

Ohio St: 0 to 1 loss
Michigan likely 1 loss
Michigan St 1 to 2 losses
Penn St likely 2 more losses

I think it is Ohio St's division to lose. Penn St has no margin for error with the loss to Iowa.

Last edited:
The Badgers schedule looks the easiest out of the bunch. If they could ever figure out their QB, they could make a nice run at IA. Or if they don't, they could finish 3-5.

I did a quick Massey simulation of the remaining conference games, these are the records I came out with (I didn't bother looking at tie breakers):

Iowa 8-1
Wisconsin 4-5
Minnesota 4-5
Purdue 4-5
Nebraska 3-6
Northwestern 2-7
Illinois 2-7

All I can say is that (So long as the Hawks beat the snot of out of the Boilermakers Saturday) that sure looks like a nice spot for a bye.

Not only that but if the hawks right now can beat purdue and minny then that is a 2 game lead on all the West Div. And this saturday they can start by beating Purdue and if Nebby can beat Minny that would give Minny a 2nd loss.

Really the way Chryst ran the ball so much at Illinois he is saying we are going to get our running game going and take pressure off of the QB and run play action on our schedule. I am still afraid of Wisky running the table

Taking a look at the East Schedules is also interesting. I got to think the chances of losses for each of these teams all in the running there:

Ohio St: 0 to 1 loss
Michigan likely 1 loss
Michigan St 1 to 2 losses
Penn St likely 2 more losses

I think it is Ohio St's division to lose. Penn St has no margin for error with the loss to Iowa.

I want Nebraska to beat OSU and then OSU to win all of its other games. If it was the representative from the east and out of the hunt due to its two losses I think Iowa would get a fair game.

Of course, Iowa will be 9-3 at best by that point, but I would still like to see it.

Don't want to jinx it, but I will concede the West to the Hawks. imo, the East is more fascinating. Michigan, MSU, PSU and OSU all have to start playing each other soon. Of that 4... I'm rooting for the most favorable matchup for Iowa.

I think Wisconsin is gonna put their head down and only focus on what they do well at this point. In my mind's eye, I see a wet, windy day in Madison (think Columbus in '85). Maybe throw in a fumble or two out of Iowa with the slippery ball. And unbelievable intensity out of Wisconsin and its fans. If Iowa gets the L that day, it'll be interesting to see if its sphincter tightens up in subsequent 4th quarters with the game on the line (maybe Nebraska or MN)...knowing another loss potentially pulls WI ahead in the West.

Don't want to jinx it, but I will concede the West to the Hawks. imo, the East is more fascinating. Michigan, MSU, PSU and OSU all have to start playing each other soon. Of that 4... I'm rooting for the most favorable matchup for Iowa.

Which I think would be Michigan (one-dimensional) or PSU (decided coaching advantage).

I could easily see an 8-1 Iowa vs a 7-2 East team in the championship game. Those teams are going to start beating each other up.

My own top of the head power ranking would be:

1. OSU
2. PSU
2. Michigan
4. MSU

Can't really decide between Michigan and PSU who is the real deal.

I want Nebraska to beat OSU and then OSU to win all of its other games. If it was the representative from the east and out of the hunt due to its two losses I think Iowa would get a fair game.

Of course, Iowa will be 9-3 at best by that point, but I would still like to see it.
Not a doubt in my mind that an undefeated Iowa vs one loss OSU would get absolutely hosed in the BTT Champ game.

Call me crazy, I said after watching that OSU/MINN game that the Buckeyes will lose 3 games this year (not including postseason) you heard it here first.

Iowa, Minny, and Whiskey all have similar schedules, nobody has any of he powerhouses of the East. It comes down to head to head. Starts with the Minny/Nebby game. Would love to see Minny get second conference loss and then Nebby get donkey-punched by OSU. Iowa just has to go up to Madison and take care of business.

Iowa, Minny, and Whiskey all have similar schedules, nobody has any of he powerhouses of the East. It comes down to head to head. Starts with the Minny/Nebby game. Would love to see Minny get second conference loss and then Nebby get donkey-punched by OSU. Iowa just has to go up to Madison and take care of business.

True but the rest of the schools in the West do, which should help. I don't see Minnesota running the table, they are capable of dropping every remaining game on their schedule.

I do have my worries about Wisconsin, at least Iowa has a 2 game head start on them. Wisconsin could run the table but would need Iowa to lose another game to force a tiebreaker.

The Badgers schedule looks the easiest out of the bunch. If they could ever figure out their QB, they could make a nice run at IA. Or if they don't, they could finish 3-5.
Not just the QB. The line is swiss cheese and no all world running back

Hey O'Keefe, how confident are you in your 9-3 prediction from Friday?