Relaxxxxxx

I don't think it's fair to take a jab at Jordan. This is on the coach. Turnovers were too high all of November and yet the team hasn't improved here. There's potential on this roster but it could still be tough avoiding a three year skid of missing the NCAA tournament.

I don't think it's fair to take a jab at Jordan. This is on the coach. Turnovers were too high all of November and yet the team hasn't improved here. There's potential on this roster but it could still be tough avoiding a three year skid of missing the NCAA tournament.

The jab was about the stupid tweet.

we have 23 games left. it's pretty amazing how Fran isn't afforded the same "it's a developmental program" excuse that kirk got from 2010 through 2014. this is a bad start to the season and Fran does need to figure out what to do at pg. he's down 2 pg's he wasn't planning on being down.

we have 23 games left. it's pretty amazing how Fran isn't afforded the same "it's a developmental program" excuse that kirk got from 2010 through 2014. this is a bad start to the season and Fran does need to figure out what to do at pg. he's down 2 pg's he wasn't planning on being down.
FTR, I don't believe either Fran or Kirk should be afforded the developmental excuse(s). I also don't believe Fran should be afforded that pg excuse bullshit you just threw out there. Connor was initially going to redshirt and Williams was crap on offense. Fran's lack of obtaining a quick 'true' point guard is not an excuse either.

Why do I always read so much stupid??? I will tell you why because WTF has Fran done in his 8 years that compare to what KF did in his first 8 years?? I will tell you not one DAMN THING!!!! FACT....

Reactions: DJL
we have 23 games left. it's pretty amazing how Fran isn't afforded the same "it's a developmental program" excuse that kirk got from 2010 through 2014. this is a bad start to the season and Fran does need to figure out what to do at pg. he's down 2 pg's he wasn't
Well, at this point we might as well just relax. Nothing to get excited for....

Yes, we should all just exlax this season and see how things come out. :rolleyes::D

Why do I always read so much stupid??? I will tell you why because WTF has Fran done in his 8 years that compare to what KF did in his first 8 years?? I will tell you not one DAMN THING!!!! FACT....

Not true, he had a top five in the nation recruiting class, won two Big Ten Tournament titles and finished in second place in the conference. No wait my bad’ that was Alford in eight years and everyone despised his arrogance and he left town with his tail between his legs. Actually I believe Fran averaged finishing higher in the conference at fifth place to Alford’s 7.5 place.

Then came the gory years immediately after that with Todd and Son (that was.not a typo).

I think what makes this so painful is what Jon mentioned in the last podcast. We looked forward to this season with high expectations and the thus far the season has cratered.

Coach-Finstock.png

Look Scotty relax. I know what you're going through. Couple years back, a kid came to me much the same way you're coming to me now, saying the same thing that you're saying. He wanted to drop off the team. His mother was a widow, all crippled up. She was scrubbing floors. She had this pin in her hip. So he wanted to drop basketball and get a job. Now these were poor people, these were hungry people with real problems. Understand what I'm saying? Long winter in Iowa.

Scott Howard: What happened to the kid?

Coach Finstock: I don't know. He quit. He was a point guard, I didn't need him. I just need my tweeners.

Last edited:

For Fran to get the benefit of the doubt similar to Ferentz, he first needs to get some results comparable to what Ferentz did.

Fry left the cupboard bare. In just a couple seasons, Iowa was winning a conference title and going to an Orange Bowl.
Ferentz followed that up with a couple more top 8 finishes in the country. Then a couple more top tens, some good bowl wins and eventually a 12-0 season a couple years ago.

Fran made Iowa competitive pretty quickly but that is where it has stopped. If he had Iowa in a couple Sweet 16's in his first 8 years, he would be good to go for years to come and cut a lot of slack. There is no comparison in how the two coaches should be looked at as far as performance. The BIG is obviously down this year and we are looking at a "bottom 3" in the league type season. Fran should get next year. If Iowa does not make huge improvements, bye-bye.

FTR, I don't believe either Fran or Kirk should be afforded the developmental excuse(s). I also don't believe Fran should be afforded that pg excuse bullshit you just threw out there. Connor was initially going to redshirt and Williams was crap on offense. Fran's lack of obtaining a quick 'true' point guard is not an excuse either.

i don't necessarily disagree with you. but basketball is a sport where a team can evolve from horrible to national champion within the same season; whereas, football really isn't but, as a fan base, Iowa tends to give that benefit of the doubt to kirk and not Fran. That is my "developmental" point. Regarding Conner RS and CW's talent, you're right on both. However, (from what I saw with Conner) they are both way better ball handlers than JBo. And it is ball handling that is our pg problem, right now. JBo is just not a ball handler. I also believe that the Conner RS was to try and keep CW from transferring. I was saying last season and this off season that CW should get much more PT because he can handle the ball a lot better and it would allow JBo to play SG and with CW's length, it would make up for his lack of foot speed on defense.

We all agree that PG is the hole in our armor, right now.

I don't get how people think that PG is the only holding this team back? We have so many more issues on defense and overall team makeup, it isn't even funny.

-We have 2 too many forwards, and 2 two few guards.
-Not only are we 2 guards short, only 2 of the 4 guards we have a even B1G worthy. Sure getting a better PG solves some of that, as it addresses the lack of guards, but we are still at least 1 other B1G worthy guard short
-We don't have a PF who can play defense on the roster
-Our Bigs are slow footed
-Our overall team speed might be in the bottom 10% of all D1 BB teams
-The one advantage we have over everyone (our length) we don't even take advantage of.

Sure if you wanna think PG is the biggest issue we have, I can get that. To say we are a PG away from being good, HAHAHAHAHA is what I say to that.

Hawk, Fran has only completed 7 seasons, not 8. But i get what you meant, there. Look, if Fran were to last at Iowa for 13 seasons like Mr. Davis, he is on pace to reaching Mr. Davis's all time wins at Iowa. We all think kirk is a great coach because he's tied Hayden. Under Fran Iowa has made post-season tournament play the last 6 seasons and only his first season did we not make a tournament. And, speaking of that first season, here is the roster of he inherited (these are the plays that had some level of Div 1 talent: Gatens, May, Cole, Brommer, (Devon) Archie, Culley Payne (who transferred and didn't play for Fran). That's it.

So, I fundamentally disagree with your assessment. All I am saying is we need to afford the same standards to Fran as we have, as a fan base, to kirk. Look, other than Banks, Stanzi and Tate, kirk has been horrible at recruiting qb's. We've all known this forever. QB is the same relevant importance as PG. Yet, kirk is king because we can run the football well enough to win 7.5 games a season. That ain't no great shakes, if you ask me. But, Fran is getting hit for not being able to land that true pg. Again, QB and PG are equivalent. There is a different standard in place, in my opinion.

For Fran to get the benefit of the doubt similar to Ferentz, he first needs to get some results comparable to what Ferentz did.

Fry left the cupboard bare. In just a couple seasons, Iowa was winning a conference title and going to an Orange Bowl.
Ferentz followed that up with a couple more top 8 finishes in the country. Then a couple more top tens, some good bowl wins and eventually a 12-0 season a couple years ago.

Fran made Iowa competitive pretty quickly but that is where it has stopped. If he had Iowa in a couple Sweet 16's in his first 8 years, he would be good to go for years to come and cut a lot of slack. There is no comparison in how the two coaches should be looked at as far as performance. The BIG is obviously down this year and we are looking at a "bottom 3" in the league type season. Fran should get next year. If Iowa does not make huge improvements, bye-bye.

What would you say is the equivalent? kirks 12-0 turned out to be 12-2 and that took 16 seasons to happen. Fry did NOT leave the cupboard bare. kirk came in and installed his own system; which, as we know, is very different than Fry's. kirk wanted different player types than Fry. So, the decision was kirk's on how to use the talent than was on the roster. Lickliter DID leave the cupboard bare, both in quantity and quality. It was horrendous. Fran has had teams in the top 10 and 5 in-season and we've been to post season 6 straight seasons out of Fran's 7 full seasons at Iowa.

Hawk, Fran has only completed 7 seasons, not 8. But i get what you meant, there. Look, if Fran were to last at Iowa for 13 seasons like Mr. Davis, he is on pace to reaching Mr. Davis's all time wins at Iowa. We all think kirk is a great coach because he's tied Hayden. Under Fran Iowa has made post-season tournament play the last 6 seasons and only his first season did we not make a tournament. And, speaking of that first season, here is the roster of he inherited (these are the plays that had some level of Div 1 talent: Gatens, May, Cole, Brommer, (Devon) Archie, Culley Payne (who transferred and didn't play for Fran). That's it.

So, I fundamentally disagree with your assessment. All I am saying is we need to afford the same standards to Fran as we have, as a fan base, to kirk. Look, other than Banks, Stanzi and Tate, kirk has been horrible at recruiting qb's. We've all known this forever. QB is the same relevant importance as PG. Yet, kirk is king because we can run the football well enough to win 7.5 games a season. That ain't no great shakes, if you ask me. But, Fran is getting hit for not being able to land that true pg. Again, QB and PG are equivalent. There is a different standard in place, in my opinion.

Fran is getting hit because the standard in BB is just making the NCAA tournament. This isn't some enormously tough feat to accomplish. At least 1/2 the B1G makes it each and every year. That is the bottom line measuring stick for BB, it is very, very, very simple.

LOL trying to compare Fran's PG to Kirk's QB's.

Kirk's QB. Banks, Tate 3 years, Sanzi 3 years, Ruddock 2 years, CJ 2 years. That is like having Woolridge and BJ at PG. Instead of giving us players like Woolridge and BJ at PG, Fran gets 4 years of MIke G, and it looks like 4 years of Jordan.

What would you say is the equivalent? kirks 12-0 turned out to be 12-2 and that took 16 seasons to happen. Fry did NOT leave the cupboard bare. kirk came in and installed his own system; which, as we know, is very different than Fry's. kirk wanted different player types than Fry. So, the decision was kirk's on how to use the talent than was on the roster. Lickliter DID leave the cupboard bare, both in quantity and quality. It was horrendous. Fran has had teams in the top 10 and 5 in-season and we've been to post season 6 straight seasons out of Fran's 7 full seasons at Iowa.

Kirk's first 8 years he won 2 B1G titles, finished in the top 10 3 times. He built up good will. He took Iowa to places they hadn't been in decade or longer. If Fran would have won 2 B1G titles by now and made 3 sweet 16's I wouldn't say shit about a down year or two by Fran.

Latest posts