Relation between rhabdo incident and what we're seeing now?

mhawk

I can't help but remember the feeling I had after the rhabdomyolysis cases we saw back in January 2011, coming back to me now. At the time, I remember thinking about how Kirk built the program taking average and overlooked players and building them into beasts with the workouts and weight training. Made me feel that if we ever had an edge, it was that we worked harder than everyone else. When the rhabdo cases happened, I was afraid that the instinct reaction would be to lighten the workouts... too much... thus nullifying any advantage we once had. As I've watched this season unfold, I am just floored at our lack of physical play at the line of scrimmage. I can't help but confirm those feelings I had at that time. If the turning point wasn't the infamous fake punt vs. Wisconsin only a couple months before that, there were definitely other signs of "cracks in the foundation" right around that same time... the complete meltdown that was the rest of 2010 (remember the MN game and AC?), player transfers, the rhabdo crisis (still can't believe 13 or so players!!), etc....... That may have been a chain reaction that KF will never fully recover from.

I don't believe it has anything to do with the Rhabdo case at all. It is my understanding the exercise they were doing which resulted in the Rhabdo, heavy squats to extreme exhaustion/failure, is no longer being performed... at least not to the same level.

As we all know, when GD got here, they concentrated on speed in the WR to the detriment of the trenches, mainly the O-line. They're now faster at WR (although most of it sits on the bench), but lack depth at O-line, which has always been our strength, and we're just not as good in the trenches.

I'm not sure we'll ever be successful with this horizontal offense. You have to have very good, very fast skill players to pull it off. Unless we improve our recruiting and start to bring in those types of players, which historically we've never done, I just don't see it happening.

And I don't mean to say this is our only problem. The recruiting needs to improve at all positions. It's just not getting it done. Yes, we always put some players into the NFL. The problem is that although those few are great players, the rest just aren't.

The rhabo case was just a dumb decision by Doyle. He decided to make them do this ridiculous workout right after Christmas break when many guys weren't in peak condition because they took a couple weeks off. I don't believe they've stop working as hard as they always have, but pretty sure for the safety of the athletes they have cut these unrealistic workouts. I understand hard workouts and pushing yourself farther than you ever have. But IMO, after hearing past players describe this one I think it was over the top and the fact several ended up in the hospital proves that point.
Just a thought, but it is more likely we are seeing repercussions from this incident on the recruiting trail (mom's want to know their boys are safe when they send them off) more than our on the field strength and conditioning.

I can't help but remember the feeling I had after the rhabdomyolysis cases we saw back in January 2011, coming back to me now. At the time, I remember thinking about how Kirk built the program taking average and overlooked players and building them into beasts with the workouts and weight training. Made me feel that if we ever had an edge, it was that we worked harder than everyone else. When the rhabdo cases happened, I was afraid that the instinct reaction would be to lighten the workouts... too much... thus nullifying any advantage we once had. As I've watched this season unfold, I am just floored at our lack of physical play at the line of scrimmage. I can't help but confirm those feelings I had at that time. If the turning point wasn't the infamous fake punt vs. Wisconsin only a couple months before that, there were definitely other signs of "cracks in the foundation" right around that same time... the complete meltdown that was the rest of 2010 (remember the MN game and AC?), player transfers, the rhabdo crisis (still can't believe 13 or so players!!), etc....... That may have been a chain reaction that KF will never fully recover from.

I referred to that rhabdo situation as the possible start of the downturn many times over the past couple years. When it happened I had the exact same concerns as you & worried that it could change the way they developed the players. Hell, even Chris Doyle doesn't look as big as in the past.

Penn St. had the "Dark Years" & we in Iowa have the "Rhabdo Years".

2010 Orange Bowl

The Orange Bowl has been a curse for northern teams who won it ever bince the formation of the BCS. Those teams are: Kansas, Iowa and Penn State. Kansas football has really tanked, granted they at least can still beat Iowa State sometimes, unlike Iowa. Iowa football fell off a cliff after the Orange Bowl, with Iowa regularly sucking. And PSU got their wins forfeited and had all the Sandusky stuff break and destroy their program. If I were the AD at Nebraska, Wisconsin, Michigan State or Ohio State and I got an invite to the Orange Bowl after this season, I would turn it down or instruct my coach to lose it. 2 tanked programs would be a mere coincidence, but 3 is a definite trend. If you recall, the program was just fine after we got trucked in the Orange Bowl, but the moment we won it, whoa nelly, this team got bad fast.

The Orange Bowl has been a curse for northern teams who won it ever bince the formation of the BCS. Those teams are: Kansas, Iowa and Penn State. Kansas football has really tanked, granted they at least can still beat Iowa State sometimes, unlike Iowa. Iowa football fell off a cliff after the Orange Bowl, with Iowa regularly sucking. And PSU got their wins forfeited and had all the Sandusky stuff break and destroy their program. If I were the AD at Nebraska, Wisconsin, Michigan State or Ohio State and I got an invite to the Orange Bowl after this season, I would turn it down or instruct my coach to lose it. 2 tanked programs would be a mere coincidence, but 3 is a definite trend. If you recall, the program was just fine after we got trucked in the Orange Bowl, but the moment we won it, whoa nelly, this team got bad fast.

Lolz. You're warped ok4p. Smart funny...but warped. I of course mean that in a good way ;)

Both tackles will be in NFL and so will Blyth---so either our guards really suck or the other team knows what is coming from scouting or formations. I think it is the latter- comments?

I think the rhabdo incident was very crucial. Iowa players have never quite looked the same. Could be due to a change in the workouts, or a loss of player trust in the system.

Both tackles will be in NFL and so will Blyth---so either our guards really suck or the other team knows what is coming from scouting or formations. I think it is the latter- comments?

This seems like a lot of lineman projected to the NFL one a suspect line. I see one tackle who will be a guard in the NFL. Will either Donnal or Blythe even be first or second team all-B1G but yet they will be pro's?

Blythe is a solid player but lacks NFL size. I am not seeing it for him.

Last edited:
Have the workouts changed, other than dropping the one that caused the problem?

Or is this just...

dan-obrien-irish-economist.jpg

I doubt any current recruits even know about it, and if they do the coaching staff has a well crafted dismissal.