Reggie loves Iowa, but I think he loves Florida more

Deacon Jones ... with the all time cringe-worthy quote about the head slap. Talk about old school. :)

Oops! A slip of the tongue like that today would get him in serious trouble with the league. He probably wouldn't be playing in it.

How far we have come in fifty years.

Tough guys: I cannot believe you guys have not focused in on "Jungle Jim" Luskitov (sp.?)
I was in diapers when "Loscy" played, but he may have been the meanest NBA player ever. He started a trend, which still exists today, of the superstar being protected by the enforcer. Maurice Lucas was one of my all time favorites. He had the meanest stare ever. When Darryl Dawkins threatened to create mayhem in the 1977 NBA finals, Lucas restored order in a hurry. It was the turning point of the series. Down two games to none, Portland came back to win four in a row, largely because Lucas shut down Sixer star George McGinnis the rest of the series.

EDIT:. Philadelphia was the team of my youth. And that 1977 team may have been the most star studded of all time, certainly for a team that never won a title. The ABA collapsed in the off season, sans four teams, and Philly scored specatularly in ABA free agency by signing Julius Erving. He rounded out a starting lineup that included Geroge McGinnis, Caldwell Jones, Henry Bibby and Doug Collins. Off the bench? How about World B Free, Bobby Jones, Jellybean Joe Bryant (who's son Kobe wasn't too bad himself) Steve Mix, Mike Dunleavy, Darryl Dawkins and Harvey Catchings. But a 70% healthy Bill Walton could do I all and Portland won the title.

Last edited:
According to basketball reference he earned $32.3M in NBA contracts alone. Not sure what kind of endorsements he may have had. The NBA also has a really good pension plan. I believe 10-year players get $124,000 a year for life (which I believe gets adjusted at collective bargaining to account for inflation)

While that was his salary over the life of his career, you have to take into account the taxes he would have paid, the fees to his agent, any outstanding debts that he may have, and other potential liabilities. We also have no idea what his spending habits were while in the league or after. It is not out of the question that his net worth be around $10 million, which Tierney brought up. The pension that you bring up would only be added into his net worth if those funds have been saved. It is liquid money so future advances would not be calculated on a PFS.

While that was his salary over the life of his career, you have to take into account the taxes he would have paid, the fees to his agent, any outstanding debts that he may have, and other potential liabilities. We also have no idea what his spending habits were while in the league or after. It is not out of the question that his net worth be around $10 million, which Tierney brought up. The pension that you bring up would only be added into his net worth if those funds have been saved. It is liquid money so future advances would not be calculated on a PFS.
If his net worth is around $10 million, he is one of the lucky ones. Many former NBA and NFL stars are bankrupt and owe hundreds of thousands if not millions. They found a way to spend millions of dollars as fast or faster than they made it.

I was in diapers when "Loscy" played, but he may have been the meanest NBA player ever. He started a trend, which still exists today, of the superstar being protected by the enforcer. Maurice Lucas was one of my all time favorites. He had the meanest stare ever. When Darryl Dawkins threatened to create mayhem in the 1977 NBA finals, Lucas restored order in a hurry. It was the turning point of the series. Down two games to none, Portland came back to win four in a row, largely because Lucas shut down Sixer star George McGinnis the rest of the series.

EDIT:. Philadelphia was the team of my youth. And that 1977 team may have been the most star studded of all time, certainly for a team that never won a title. The ABA collapsed in the off season, sans four teams, and Philly scored specatularly in ABA free agency by signing Julius Erving. He rounded out a starting lineup that included Geroge McGinnis, Caldwell Jones, Henry Bibby and Doug Collins. Off the bench? How about World B Free, Bobby Jones, Jellybean Joe Bryant (who's son Kobe wasn't too bad himself) Steve Mix, Mike Dunleavy, Darryl Dawkins and Harvey Catchings. But a 70% healthy Bill Walton could do I all and Portland won the title.

You are the man, Northside! I watched the Celtics for many years in my younger days. Don Nelson, Bob Cousy, John Havlicek, Bill Russell, Larry Bird, (right?), and many others. Now, I have little time for the National Boring Association. I was fascinated by film of Cousy when he would drive to the basket, move the ball around his back, and then lay it up. That move was unheard of in those days.

You are the man, Northside! I watched the Celtics for many years in my younger days. Don Nelson, Bob Cousy, John Havlicek, Bill Russell, Larry Bird, (right?), and many others. Now, I have little time for the National Boring Association. I was fascinated by film of Cousy when he would drive to the basket, move the ball around his back, and then lay it up. That move was unheard of in those days.
Isn't it sad that Maurice Lucas, Moses Malone and Darryl Dawkins, among others, are no longer with us?

Father Time may be undefeated, but he is also a cruel bastard sometime. Your mention of Bob Cousy brought back childhood memories of another player who left us young, Pete Maravich!

How about putting a team together with the children of the 1977 Sixers. You can start with Kobe Bryant, Chris Collins, Mike Dunleavy jr., and Tamika Catchings. Can you or anyone else add to the list? (Sorry, Rick Barry didn't play for that team. He has had about 36 kids play in college and the NBA. He is well into his seventies and had a kid playing for the Florida team that knocked Wisconsin out of the NCAA'S just two springs ago-who knows if that's his last one)

Of course, some of those guys may have kids they never knew they had make the NBA. A baseball player once didn't know he had a son growing up in Louisiana until that son became a legendary country singer. Fortunately, Tug and Tim McGraw got to enjoy a few years together before we lost Tug.

Last edited:

Here you go. I was a Sixers fan then as well. Never got over losing this title to the Blazers. And listen to Brent Musberger.

Isn't it sad that Maurice Lucas, Moses Malone and Darryl Dawkins, among others, are no longer with us?

Father Time may be undefeated, but he is also a cruel bastard sometime. Your mention of Bob Cousy brought back childhood memories of another player who left us young, Pete Maravich!

How about putting a team together with the children of the 1977 Sixers. You can start with Kobe Bryant, Chris Collins, Mike Dunleavy jr., and Tamika Catchings. Can you or anyone else add to the list?

Tauja Catchings, Tamika's sister.

Interestingly enough, Reggie is pretty similar physically to T Cook. Reggie is obviously a more fierce rebounder and defender, but most would say Cook is more talented (at similar points in their career).

Yet, I doubt Cook will have half the NBA career Reggie has.

I don't think they are at all similar in body. Reggie was a tank down below and a physical presence. I see Cook as more of a finesse player except when has a clear shot at the rim for a dunk. He is definitely not the rebounder or defender that Evans was at least at this point.

It was common for Evans to get around 20 rebounds a game.

Interestingly enough, Reggie is pretty similar physically to T Cook. Reggie is obviously a more fierce rebounder and defender, but most would say Cook is more talented (at similar points in their career).

Yet, I doubt Cook will have half the NBA career Reggie has.
Reggie TOUGH! Remember 2nd Missouri game ? Him and Recker? Reggie soaked in sweat at post game interview.Saw Larry Smith much.Reggie as tough as rebounder as any in Nba.Sonic announcer loved Reggie.

Ryan Bowen had a surprisingly long NBA career.
Ryan Bowen is a nice story, and an interesting one for a reason I will get to shortly. Often overshadowed at Iowa by Settles, Kingsbury and Andre Woolridge, Bowen was one of those players who came back every year with something added to his game. Weaknesses turned into plausibles, then into strengths, and before you knew it he was in the NBA. And he didn't stop there. He continued to add to his game at the NBA level, one skill at a time. Settles was more widely known and Russ Millard was a far better athlete with an NBA specimen body, but Settles' back betrayed him and Millard didn't have enough game to build on at the next level. Bowen was the one who had the long NBA career.

Here's where the story gets interesting and up for discussion. I think Chris Street's NBA career, if had one, would have closely resembled Bowen's. Chris was building his game one level at a time, improving every year, and would have been our most experienced player for the senior year he never had. He approached his game much like Ryan Bowen, but had his life cut short. Still unbelievable today, he might be a division 1 coach right now.

By the way, Bowen of all people had a steals record at Iowa. It was either for a season or average per game, career, can't remember. But one of the great Hawks of the 1990's.