Regarding Foles' 2 interceptions

I think you guys are a little overconfident with respect to how little "time" Foles will have to stand in the pocket and throw passes.

Ist off, the spread offense is designed for quick hitters. The occassional deep ball will be mixed in, but the goal is to get the ball to receivers in space and let them get YAC. Your D-Line won't have as much time to get to the quarterback as they would if they were playing a traditional Big 10 or pro-style offense.

Secondly, re-watch last year's game. You will see many wide-open receivers in your vaunted secondary. Scott missed so many throws that game. He was underthrowing, overthrowing, throwing behind, and completely air-mailing passes to open receivers. He was also innaccurate in the game prior to yours and Stoops had enough so he pulled him and inserted Foles.

With which Foles marched the offense 80 yards and capped the drive with a TD pass to Criner.

You'll also notice that our quartebacks were not under pressure from your D-Line but for more than just a few of the pass plays.
Since our corners protect the outside, quick hitters (screens) don't work so well. LB's are way to fast.

I think you guys are a little overconfident with respect to how little "time" Foles will have to stand in the pocket and throw passes.

Ist off, the spread offense is designed for quick hitters. The occassional deep ball will be mixed in, but the goal is to get the ball to receivers in space and let them get YAC. Your D-Line won't have as much time to get to the quarterback as they would if they were playing a traditional Big 10 or pro-style offense.

Secondly, re-watch last year's game. You will see many wide-open receivers in your vaunted secondary. Scott missed so many throws that game. He was underthrowing, overthrowing, throwing behind, and completely air-mailing passes to open receivers. He was also innaccurate in the game prior to yours and Stoops had enough so he pulled him and inserted Foles.

With which Foles marched the offense 80 yards and capped the drive with a TD pass to Criner.

You'll also notice that our quartebacks were not under pressure from your D-Line but for more than just a few of the pass plays.

Yo Slim, ask Iowa State how they thought we handled their spread offense. Granted, I expect the cats to be a little more talented on offense however I think that you may be underestimating the speed/physicality of Hawk D. Should be a tough game for both and whoever makes least amount of mistakes will win.

The more I watch this team the more I understand that Iowa's defense is all about their ball control on offense. That was VERY evident last week. Stoops talked about it this afternoon as well.

You realize that Foles drive came against our second-team D as the game was already decided at that point, right? Not an insignificant point. But regardless, we play spread teams quite regularly. ISU, jNWU, Indiana, and Michigan all run the spread. I think Purdue does as well (though I could be wrong about that). The only team that gives us trouble with the spread is Northwestern. The reason we have trouble is because they ALWAYS have really athletic, fast QBs who make plays with their feet (Basanez, Kafka, now Persa). But Foles is a borderline paraplegic with no scrambling ability. It doesn't take 7 seconds to get a sack, especially when all of our DL runs sub 4.8 40s.

But Foles is a borderline paraplegic with no scrambling ability. It doesn't take 7 seconds to get a sack, especially when all of our DL runs sub 4.8 40s.

Hehe - interesting way of putting it Midnight but point made.

Last edited:
You realize that Foles drive came against our second-team D as the game was already decided at that point, right? Not an insignificant point. But regardless, we play spread teams quite regularly. ISU, jNWU, Indiana, and Michigan all run the spread. I think Purdue does as well (though I could be wrong about that). The only team that gives us trouble with the spread is Northwestern. The reason we have trouble is because they ALWAYS have really athletic, fast QBs who make plays with their feet (Basanez, Kafka, now Persa). But Foles is a borderline paraplegic with no scrambling ability. It doesn't take 7 seconds to get a sack, especially when all of our DL runs sub 4.8 40s.

It's not just that NW's QB's are mobile, it's that they've all (at least recently) been able to hit the 5-6 yard pass with great consistency.

slimcat POINT #1: Secondly, re-watch last year's game. You will see many wide-open receivers in your vaunted secondary. Scott missed so many throws that game. He was underthrowing, overthrowing, throwing behind, and completely air-mailing passes to open receivers. He was also innaccurate in the game prior to yours and Stoops had enough so he pulled him and inserted Foles.

slimcat POINT #2: With which Foles marched the offense 80 yards and capped the drive with a TD pass to Criner.

slimcat POINT #3: You'll also notice that our quartebacks were not under pressure from your D-Line but for more than just a few of the pass plays.

re: POINT #1 -
First off, Iowa plays ZONE coverage. Thus, the question isn't whether a guy will be open ... the question concerns HOW LONG until the window in the zone closes. Secondly, the '09 UA game marked Prater's (Iowa's #2 CB) first start of the season. He had just returned from a 2-game suspension. As a result, new starters at Iowa often give WRs a little extra cushion. Remind me how much yardage after the catch the UA receivers got.

re: POINT #2 -
Remind me, who was the starting UA QB in the '09 game. If you don't recall, I'll tell you ... it was Scott. If you looked at their respective "styles" ... Foles and Scott are VERY different types of QBs. Iowa had game-planned to neutralize Scott ... particularly taking away the routes he was most comfortable with AND preventing him from making plays with his legs. Not surprisingly, the Iowa D places more emphasis on CONTAIN of the QB than an uncontrolled pass-rush. This latter fact goes A LONG way to addressing your third point.

re: POINT #3 -
As mentioned above, Iowa gameplanned to take away the UA running game AND especially the QB run-option. As a result, the Iowa D placed a premium on contain ... rather than trying to "pin UA's ears back." The net result was that Scott didn't have a whole lot of luck running the ball ... and there were also hands in his face when he did attempt to pass it! All that said ... I don't think that your memory is terribly accurate. Iowa still sacked the QB twice, got 4 QB hurries, and batted down 1 pass.

Latest posts