Reese Morgan. I like him, but...

Thawki

Is it revisionist thinking by many, who now say that they think he is a good/great coach?

In the early years of the KF Era wasn't he under fire by many on this board as a coach whose offensive line units often times underachieved and KF had to spend extra time with the units in order for them to perform at an acceptable level? I heard that from a lot of people, although I didn't really buy into it.

I honestly couldn't (and maybe still can't) get a feel for how good of a coach he was/is, although I didn't think he was/is a bad coach. I have always had him pegged as above average with a strength of his being the in-state familiarity he has in recruiting the state of Iowa.

Am I misrepresenting the consensus of many from prior years, or am I the one guilty of revisionist history?

Reese Morgan is a great TEACHER. He is not a screamer like Kaz was. He will get more out of this DL than Kaz ever would have.

I am not sure that you are guilty of revisonist history. However, I believe time has proven that coach Morgan is very capable.

I'm not sure what you guys are thinking about...but he's put alot of people in the NFL and when the guys get to the NFL, the GM's, Head Coaches, and position coaches rave about how fundamentally sound Iowa OL are. Morgan was the position coach and should take a ton of the credit for that.

Over the past 6 years, IMO, we have had one great RB...Shonn Greene. I think if Greene were running last year, he would have had 1800 yards and again won a Doak Walker. We all know the issues we have had at RB. Trust me...guys that can help the OL by making things out of nothing, limiting the length of time needed on blocks, and setting up blocks, is HUGE.

Morgan is a very good coach.

Our OL's have a tendency to start slow, but by mid October, they are usually very good.

Sounds like Barney Cotton at Nebraska is right out of the CoachK school of motivation,and now they have had their best o-lineman,left tackle Tyler Moore, leave school,just yesterday,and head back to his native Florida. Husker fans are going crazy,wanting Cotton and or Bo fired at the end of the year. Very frustrated with Barney's o-lines and his de-motivation of players. Moore was the #67 overall recruit and #5 olineman in the 2011 class...started as a frosh. I wonder if CoachK is going to run into the same issues as at Iowa? Kids do not take to being abused these days.
I like Morgan's approach better.

In the early years of the KF Era wasn't he under fire by many on this board as a coach whose offensive line units often times underachieved and KF had to spend extra time with the units in order for them to perform at an acceptable level? I heard that from a lot of people, although I didn't really buy into it.

There was probably a little bit of a learning curve as he moved from the high school ranks for college FB. He seems to have proved himself over time, however. The few guys that I have talked to on the team think pretty highly of him. I bet his OL to DL switch will be a lot easier than his HS to college switch.

There was probably a little bit of a learning curve as he moved from the high school ranks for college FB. He seems to have proved himself over time, however. The few guys that I have talked to on the team think pretty highly of him. I bet his OL to DL switch will be a lot easier than his HS to college switch.

This!

You also need to remember Morgan was taking over from Joe Philbin. Philbin was a great OL coach and more.

The other factor is injuries. Several big time recruits never saw much playing time. Depth was very much an issue in Morgan's early years.

Sounds like Barney Cotton at Nebraska is right out of the CoachK school of motivation,and now they have had their best o-lineman,left tackle Tyler Moore, leave school,just yesterday,and head back to his native Florida. Husker fans are going crazy,wanting Cotton and or Bo fired at the end of the year. Very frustrated with Barney's o-lines and his de-motivation of players. Moore was the #67 overall recruit and #5 olineman in the 2011 class...started as a frosh. I wonder if CoachK is going to run into the same issues as at Iowa? Kids do not take to being abused these days.
They also had highly regarded OL recruit named Klachko recently leave.

I played football for Benton Community which is where Reese Morgan coached prior to taking the job at Iowa City. Reese Morgan is still highly thought of all around Benton County. He's an outstanding coach, but an even better person. He has a pretty damn good looking daughter too haha.

In all seriousness, if a coach can bring a state title to Benton and then several to Iowa City there is no doubt he can coach. In my opinion, a lot of times the only difference between elite high school coaches and college/NFL coaches is opportunity. Some don't want to leave the high school ranks, and some just don't look for the opportunity to. Now obviously the game is more complex, and it is certainly played at a higher speed at the college and NFL levels, but that just means there is a learning curve. You put a guy like Reese around coaches like Kirk Ferentz, and I'm sure he absorbed as much as he could. I think Reese adapted pretty fast. He can relate to kids and teach as good as anyone I know that.

He is the greatest high school coach in the history of the state of Iowa, and one of the best assistant coaches the University of Iowa has ever had.

Fact.

He is the greatest high school coach in the history of the state of Iowa, and one of the best assistant coaches the University of Iowa has ever had.

Fact.

hmmmm. really?

Ever hear of a guy named Ed Thomas? 292-84

or Dick Tighe? 391-152-8

or Curt Bladt? 364-41

Their high school coaching resumes might have something to say about that.

Reese Morgan is 146-70 over 22 years of coaching high school football. Iowa City West, Benton Community, Van Horne.

Reese Morgan is a Special Teams genius - in 2002 we scored every possible way there was in the rule book.

hmmmm. really?

Ever hear of a guy named Ed Thomas? 292-84

or Dick Tighe? 391-152-8

or Curt Bladt? 364-41

Their high school coaching resumes might have something to say about that.

Reese Morgan is 146-70 over 22 years of coaching high school football. Iowa City West, Benton Community, Van Horne.

How can you leave Duane Twait of Emmetsburg out of this list...339 - 63. His teams dominated 3A in the late 70's and early 80's and they were one of the smallest schools in the class. He was 280 - 40 at Emmetsburg in 27 years...and I think over half of those losses were playoff or State Championship losses.

I played football for Benton Community which is where Reese Morgan coached prior to taking the job at Iowa City. Reese Morgan is still highly thought of all around Benton County. He's an outstanding coach, but an even better person. He has a pretty damn good looking daughter too haha.

In all seriousness, if a coach can bring a state title to Benton and then several to Iowa City there is no doubt he can coach. In my opinion, a lot of times the only difference between elite high school coaches and college/NFL coaches is opportunity. Some don't want to leave the high school ranks, and some just don't look for the opportunity to. Now obviously the game is more complex, and it is certainly played at a higher speed at the college and NFL levels, but that just means there is a learning curve. You put a guy like Reese around coaches like Kirk Ferentz, and I'm sure he absorbed as much as he could. I think Reese adapted pretty fast. He can relate to kids and teach as good as anyone I know that.

I also went to BC. What year?

Going all "Full Metal Jacket" on someone really loses its effectiveness over time. At the very least players tune it out after awhile. You saw that with CoachK.

Last edited:
Howard Vernon didn't coach at City. He was Principal.

I know he was the principal, he left right before I entered school there.

I wonder where he coached at that made him so legendary, though, unless he is being confused with someone else.

If he coached at Iowa at one time, he wouldn't even make the top 30 on that list.

Latest posts