Reece Vander Zee Chasing Opportunity at Iowa

For one of the least populous areas in the state, LOTS of good football comes out of there.

Mike Klinkenborg - CL
LeVar Woods - WL
Kyle Vanden Bosch - WL (nebraska)
Brandon Snyder - WL
Monte Pottebaum - WL
Jake Newborg - WL
Zach Lutmer - CL
Graham Eben - CL
Reece Vander Zee - CL

All of those guys are from two schools in a county with less than 12,000 people total and inside a 14 mile radius.

Oh and it hurts me to put Snyder on there. He's a total douche canoe and so is his dad. Before anyone comes at me, he's not a student athlete anymore, and I've had way more than my share of extended interactions with both of them over the years.

I really hope we see some of Lainez this year. We seem to be falling into this trap of patching the QB room with mediocre transfers. If he’s good and could be a 3 year starter starting in 25 we’d be able to build up the position via recruiting.

Just heard among the discussions somewhere that this kid has a phenomenal catch radius.
We really don't have the size this kid has in our two deeps at this point. 6'5 and runs a sub 11.0 hundred. You could coach this kid into a monster.

You figure at least 1-2 true frosh are going to see the field given how thin we are. I would put some money this could be one of them. Can't coach size.

For one of the least populous areas in the state, LOTS of good football comes out of there.

Mike Klinkenborg - CL
LeVar Woods - WL
Kyle Vanden Bosch - WL (nebraska)
Brandon Snyder - WL
Monte Pottebaum - WL
Jake Newborg - WL
Zach Lutmer - CL
Graham Eben - CL
Reece Vander Zee - CL

All of those guys are from two schools in a county with less than 12,000 people total and inside a 14 mile radius.

Oh and it hurts me to put Snyder on there. He's an absolute douche canoe and so is his dad. Before anyone comes at me, he's not a student athlete anymore, and I've had way more than my share of extended interactions with both of them over the years. But he was good at football so there's that...

Wow, that is impressive. In the area of the state I grew up in was the phenomenon of Aplington-Parkersburg, who from one town area and high school sent on multiple people to Iowa and eventually the NFL who had long and successful careers. It is amazing when thinking about it as you point out, with the number of people living in wide open areas.

We really don't have the size this kid has in our two deeps at this point. 6'5 and runs a sub 11.0 hundred. You could coach this kid into a monster.

You figure at least 1-2 true frosh are going to see the field given how thin we are. I would put some money this could be one of them. Can't coach size.
My son is good friends with him through track and baseball and I've been to just about every meet Central Lyon has participated in for the last 4 years since we're at the same ones. He's a total freak athlete.

19th fastest in the state (all classes) in the 110 high hurdles and that was a shortened season because of his injury. To me that hurdles talent is almost more impressive than the 100 dash. To excel at sprint hurdles you have to be fast, very coordinated, and agile...there's no being good at that event based on pure strength or quickness, you need the total package. Coached against him in baseball for the past 10 ish years (our youth programs were in the same league) and his fastball was upper 80s already as a sophomore. He's not playing this year for obvious reasons which is good for us, selfishly. Basketball same thing, just dominant anywhere on the court. One of those kids who has the rare genetic gift of being a freak athlete along with a really good work ethic.

But P5 college football ain't no joke and pretty much every scholarship player was the big dawg in their respective town and state, so who knows if he'll blossom or not. I tend to think he will, he's definitely more gifted athletically and size wise than Lutmer or Eben...I don't see those guys being regular players to be honest. Hopefully it works well for him and he goes on to be a great Hawk. He's a great kid.

I think Howard is like 6'4 but he came in with no fan fare and literally no other offers. I get the feeling he's not very fast. The only thing that might keep Vander Zee from seeing the field much early is I don't think he's even 200 lbs on his 6'5 frame. Bulk him up to 215 lbs in a yr or 2 and we have something big time then.

As far as right away goes the kid is still tall and fast. Have a package of plays for him (much like I suggest they do with Brevin Doll) Put him out wide anywhere inside the redzone and if he's got a 5'10 kid on him let him go be an athlete. I'm not saying try it 20 times a game but why not a couple or even once?

BF was terrible about integrating freshman into the offense at all it seemed like. He wanted kids to know the complicated playbook cover to cover before they saw the field it seemed like. Just so frustrating.

I think Howard is like 6'4 but he came in with no fan fare and literally no other offers. I get the feeling he's not very fast. The only thing that might keep Vander Zee from seeing the field much early is I don't think he's even 200 lbs on his 6'5 frame. Bulk him up to 215 lbs in a yr or 2 and we have something big time then.

As far as right away goes the kid is still tall and fast. Have a package of plays for him (much like I suggest they do with Brevin Doll) Put him out wide anywhere inside the redzone and if he's got a 5'10 kid on him let him go be an athlete. I'm not saying try it 20 times a game but why not a couple or even once?

BF was terrible about integrating freshman into the offense at all it seemed like. He wanted kids to know the complicated playbook cover to cover before they saw the field it seemed like. Just so frustrating.
Vander Zee is 210 according to their track coach.

Awesome. I probably saw his JR yr weight number last on him then that said he was 190. That's has the makings of a freak of an athlete. I assume he's got a vert too that's impressive.

@Fryowa have you been to Carroll Street Sweets in Rock Rapids

Favorite part of my interview. Cool deal for he and his family.

As my waistline would indicate, I like ice cream sandwiches

@Fryowa have you been to Carroll Street Sweets in Rock Rapids

Favorite part of my interview. Cool deal for he and his family.

As my waistline would indicate, I like ice cream sandwiches
Wish I could eat Ice cream still... Just within the last 6 months it's started to disagree with me to the point I just can't anymore and I'm not in a good place about it. I'm 44 and if anyone has a time machine so I can stay 43 or younger and can keep eating ice cream I'd appreciate it if they'd hook me up

He also looks to be well built as far as muscle mass goes. I looked up the family's ice cream sandwich business after hearing about it and they look to be a nice close knit family. One of the rare "large" families around now with around 6 kids. They look like a nice family.

Wish I could eat Ice cream still... Just within the last 6 months it's started to disagree with me to the point I just can't anymore and I'm not in a good place about it. I'm 44 and if anyone has a time machine so I can stay 43 or younger and can keep eating ice cream I'd appreciate it if they'd hook me up
Not meaning to intrude. If lactose intolerance is your issue (it is mine), Lactaid enzyme might help. I take it when I eat ice creams...works pretty well.

Not meaning to intrude. If lactose intolerance is your issue (it is mine), Lactaid enzyme might help. I take it when I eat ice creams...works pretty well.
Honestly I'm not sure if that's what it is or not. It gives me the shits every time I have even just a few bites is all I know. I haven't been to a doc about it. I'm up for trying whatever though. I'd love to be able to eat it again

I once in a while get a half gallon of Breyer's Natural Vanilla or Blue Bunny Natural Vanilla

Ingredients: Milk, Cream, Sugar, Vegetable Gum [Tara] Natural Flavor

Growing up in Philadelphia there was a drug store on almost Every corner

We used to go to one every day to sit at the counter enjoying a cone full of Breyers Vanilla Ice Cream, made in Philadelphia for 5 cents a cone, ice cream hanging over the cone

Damn

I used to make a half gallon last a while, used to put a spoonful in my morning coffee along with a dash of
Myers Rum

Double Damn

:cool:

Honestly I'm not sure if that's what it is or not. It gives me the shits every time I have even just a few bites is all I know. I haven't been to a doc about it. I'm up for trying whatever though. I'd love to be able to eat it again
Hell, makes for colon prep much more inviting. You'll be asking your doc for more colonoscopies.

I once in a while get a half gallon of Breyer's Natural Vanilla or Blue Bunny Natural Vanilla

Ingredients: Milk, Cream, Sugar, Vegetable Gum [Tara] Natural Flavor

Growing up in Philadelphia there was a drug store on almost Every corner

We used to go to one every day to sit at the counter enjoying a cone full of Breyers Vanilla Ice Cream, made in Philadelphia for 5 cents a cone, ice cream hanging over the cone

Damn

I used to make a half gallon last a while, used to put a spoonful in my morning coffee along with a dash of
Myers Rum

Double Damn

:cool:

I don't think you are helping or making any friends!

Latest posts