Recruiting

Didn't start but played the 4th most minutes on the team with 25, most guard minutes. 9 points, 6 reb, 2 assists.
Is DJ #3 for OSU?

He was #4 for ESPN's top ten plays of the night.

I was on the treadmill amd didn't have glasses or contacts and couldn't tell for sure. It was a nice finish at the rim, but must have been a slow night if that qualified for #4.

This morning's top ten was dominated by soccer goals.

Is DJ #3 for OSU?

I was on the treadmill amd didn't have glasses or contacts and couldn't tell for sure. It was a nice finish at the rim, but must have been a slow night if that qualified for #4.

9pts, 5rbds, 4 turnovers, 2 assists

DJ Carton will be just fine. He's a stud. That one hurt.
Holtman should bounce back this year in a big way. They were banged up last year. He has some nice pieces to work with inside and out, similar to a Purdue team. His challenge will be to do the same good job Matt Painter does at getting all the pieces to fit and the gears to mesh.

Watch out for Noah Carter at UNI. He's no Carton, he's probably closer to Cordell Pemsl. He's a bit of a tweener for the B1G. But he prevented Carton from going to state. Twice. And he should be a solid player for Jacobson at UNI.

Last edited:
Is DJ #3 for OSU?

Yes he’s #3. Boy did Iowa need him

DJ Carton will be just fine. He's a stud. That one hurt.
I’m sure he will and that definitely hurt for Iowa. I’m not sure where he ended in the recruiting rankings, but I definitely felt he was overrated as a 5*. He’s an explosive athlete but wasn’t a great passer and obviously had work to do on his jump shot. Down the line he will be a very good player I think but I’m guessing he will take some lumps this year.

That’s just my opinion of course, and either way the point remains he’s someone we definitely wish we could have had at Iowa.

It might seem odd for someone that follows recruiting as I do, but the star thing is not something I use to gauge prospects. It can be a guideline for me at times, but I'm more interested in offer list and eye test. I was fortunate to see DJC play several times in person.

He's a freshman in one of the country's premier conferences. He'll experience some ups and downs.

I liked what I saw from DJC last night. He moved the ball, he's quick and can defend, he's got good size and is strong.

CJ Walker transferring from FSU lets Holtman ease DJC in, but the latter is the better player. He'll end up with a lot of minutes and improve as the season progressed.

I'm a big fan of DJC's game.

It might seem odd for someone that follows recruiting as I do, but the star thing is not something I use to gauge prospects. It can be a guideline for me at times, but I'm more interested in offer list and eye test. I was fortunate to see DJC play several times in person.

He's a freshman in one of the country's premier conferences. He'll experience some ups and downs.

I liked what I saw from DJC last night. He moved the ball, he's quick and can defend, he's got good size and is strong.

CJ Walker transferring from FSU lets Holtman ease DJC in, but the latter is the better player. He'll end up with a lot of minutes and improve as the season progressed.

I'm a big fan of DJC's game.
I’m with you on the star thing. The other thing is each class can be very different in talent levels. Just as each draft in pro sports varies in amount of big time players etc. It’s still very early but it looks to me like the crop of freshman this year is a little down compared to last year, at least in terms of star power.

In terms of rankings it looks like Carton ended higher than Wieskamp did, in their respective classes. Each had a unique story as Carton was a late bloomer and Joe was highly rated from a young age. Would I consider Carton a better recruit that Joe? It’s tough to say at this venture, I’d lean no, but so much more to play out with each of their careers.

Agreed. I would take JW at this point because I know what I have there. I'd also take Cole Anthony. ;)

Man I wish the hawks landed DJ Carton. Would have been such a big get for our team. I think the OSU choice makes it sting even more. They're an in-conference, evil empire, powerhouse. And very very lately, they're not that special of a program. A few years back, under Thad Matta, they were probably one of the best programs in the nation. But their talent and production have certainly come back down to earth a little bit in recent years. If Carton would have chosen Kansas or UNC, that would have sucked. But we could have scornfully watched him play on national TV from afar. At OSU, it hurts a little more.

Latest posts