Recruiting Predictions

Iowa lands Katenda, Glover, and Hubbard to go along with Josh, and Aaron.

No way we get katenda. He told a ND newspaper he liked the Wake visit better than the Iowa one and he said he's most excited about visiting Notre Dame. We have no shot. I do think we get one of glover and hubbard, most likely hubbard. Then who knows at this point.

No way we get katenda. He told a ND newspaper he liked the Wake visit better than the Iowa one and he said he's most excited about visiting Notre Dame. We have no shot. I do think we get one of glover and hubbard, most likely hubbard. Then who knows at this point.

I hadn't seen that he said that. I just having a hard time Iowa is bringing in no forwards/center types. So the last three could be G, G, G.

A big is a must, Fran said he will get a big. We may not have heard of him yet, but there will be a big. If not we have some bigs, not many, but we could get a JUCO next year. I still think we get a big, no idea who any of the commits will be but I think it's G,G, F

A big is a must, Fran said he will get a big. We may not have heard of him yet, but there will be a big. If not we have some bigs, not many, but we could get a JUCO next year. I still think we get a big, no idea who any of the commits will be but I think it's G,G, F

I always thought it would be G,G, F, just we keep hearing new Guard names and no new big names, Which made me think Iowa already had a commit. Katenda was my guess he let none of the bigger boys in late because of loyalty so I thought that was hint since Fran been on him for so long.

We will get Hubbard.
We probably get Stokes.
We might get Cougill.
We might get Glover.
We won't get Carter.
We won't get Olaseni.
We won't get Katenda.

NO COUGILL. We will get Hubbard, and another guard. I dont think there are many bigs worth a scholarship left out there.

NO COUGILL. We will get Hubbard, and another guard. I dont think there are many bigs worth a scholarship left out there.

For those that recall my thread post Washpun declining the offer, I asked for an over / under on how many "WE NEED COUIGILL NOW" posts there would be in the aftermath. Unfortunately the number has exceeded my wildest expectations, which is pretty sad.

Folks, Cougill is a low mid major player and always has been. Out of desperation, he was offered a spot at Iowa and compared to Luke Harangody by the kool aid crowd. To get better, we cannot continue to make these mistakes in our evaluation of talent, thus no offer from McCaffrey.

It would be a mistake to offer him a scholarship but we could use him as a walk on. He would be at least as good as Brommer and Archie and would eat some space. His three point ability would draw the opponent's bigs outside and perhaps open things up for Basabe and Thomas inside.

Things look kind of bleak right now as far as capturing a big man. It doesn't look promising for Katenda or Olaseni. We really need size inside. He would fit the desperation slot again.

That being said, I am not certain that Fran would even want him as a walk on.

This is all speculation anyway, perhaps even fantasy.

Last edited:
IMO, there isn't enough up side with Cougill. What McCaffrey wants is a guy with Archie's build who has Cole's heart and hustle to block / influence shots and trigger the break. Cougill will be a nice player for a pick and pop team in a league void of Mbakwe, Sullinger, Luer, Green, Johnson type players.

I went to a lot of PTL games and Cougill was always a classy, courteous kid to young and old. Even after he rolled his ankle he still showed up to help the folks at the scoring table get the fouls and baskets assigned to the right player. 100% agree he would be a great walk on, but with other scholarship offers, I highly doubt he wants to pay his way to be the 12th guy.

I can't see him walking on either, hawkihoops, not with other offers to consider. I also can't see Fran using a scholarship on him. Fran wants quickness, players who can run the floor in transition and Cougill does not fit that description. I am just concerned about getting someone with size and ability and possibily having to settle for him. Hopefully not. Fran plays it close to the vest and probably he has some prospects in mind. There have to be JC players available who are under the radar, and Fran seems to see the potential others might miss. I am certain that Fran only wants players who can fit in his system and you are correct about Cougill not being that player. I missed the PTL last year and hope to be able to make it this Summer.

Everybody is better off if Cougill doesn't come back. He's a good guy, but he just doesn't fit this system. We all know that. Even as a walk-on, it's a waste because he wouldn't be able to contribute much. We're better off finding a more athletic big, even if he comes from the rec center.

I have had my finger on the panic button a few times regarding recruiting in the past 6-8 weeks, but the more I read from contributors on this board and others, it is apparent McCaffrey has a plan. It's easy take a myopic view and say "if we don't get this kid we are doomed", but as we have seen with the guard spot, new names seem to surface daily / weekly.

Others have pointed this out and it is true; McCaffrey and his staff have been in place for less than one year. In that short time they have landed Basabe, Cartwright, Oglesby, White and 2012 commit Meyer from Georgia. McCaffrey has offers out to kids from across the country for 2011, offered a SG from Georgia for 2012, has a 2013 prospect visiting this weekend and more importantly, believes that elite players will come to Iowa.

I need to trust that McCaffrey and his staff will get it done and not view recruiting through the Alford-Lickliter lense of yesterday.

Good post, hawkIhoops. I have faith that Fran will find the players he needs. The program had fallen to the lowest level in years if not ever, and the dreadful Lickliter system eliminated us from getting quality players while he was in command. Fran has had his work cut out for him, and has done very well so far. I am excited about Oglesby and White coming on board. He has turned the program around already and brought excitement back to Carver and the best is yet to come. At times last season you could see Fran's style of play working. Our defense was usually very good and we could score a lot of points quickly. It sure was fun to watch after the misery of the previous three years. Good times are coming for the Hawks and their loyal fans.

Sometimes I just think it is hysterical how fans make claims with virtually no data or support.

Fran has turned the program around already? Seriously? Lick had about the same amount of wins, in his last year he had more players receiving conference honors, and in Lick's first year he had as an impressive win as any of Fran's. On top of that, Lick had 7 three star (per Rivals) players committed by this point.

Is it more fun watching Fran's team play? Yes. Does it appear he will bring in more athletic players? Yes. Is he more appealing? Absolutely. Has he clearly outrecruited Lick? No way. Has he turned around the program? Not even close. I mean, seriously, there is not one empirical form of evidence that can support that claim.

We hope that isn't the issue soon, but it is still very much a work in progress.

Last edited:
Sometimes I just think it is hysterical how fans make claims with virtually no data or support.

Fran has turned the program around already? Seriously? Lick had about the same amount of wins, in his last year he had more players receiving conference honors and he had as an impressive win as any of Fran's. On top of that, Lick had 7 three star (per Rivals) players committed by this point.

If you think there is any comparison between Iowa hoops under Lickliter and Iowa hoops under McCaffrey, you are more delusional than I thought. I could go into detail and make you silly like I did when you wanted Dillard fired for lack of productivity until I pointed out he brought in White and is the point of contact on others. At some point (hopefully now) everyone will see your name and just accept, without reading, that you are going to take the contrarian view just to be an A$$. I would say have a nice morning, but you would argue that it is actually afternoon by the Myan clock etc.

Go into detail then? Saying you could do it but not doing it doesn't prove a thing. I offered a bunch of support for my claim. What do you have to support your claim.

But, more importantly look up the relation between verbal aggression and argumentativeness. Argumentativeness is the comfort with and ability to make arguments and engage the arguments of others. It is the cornerstone of democratic society. Infante showed clearly that argumentativeness is clearly negatively correlated to verbal aggression, which attacks the character of the interlocutor instead of engaging the arguments of others.

Your example of the Dillard conversation is a great example of democratic discourse. I stated a claim with support. You offered support to show that one of my premises was clearly not sound. That then changed my opinion. Through that process we both learned.

See how much better that is than just looking to demonize another poster by casting aspersions on his character or calling him names?

Go into detail then? Saying you could do it but not doing it doesn't prove a thing. I offered a bunch of support for my claim. What do you have to support your claim.

But, more importantly look up the relation between verbal aggression and argumentativeness. Argumentativeness is the comfort with and ability to make arguments and engage the arguments of others. It is the cornerstone of democratic society. Infante showed clearly that argumentativeness is clearly negatively correlated to verbal aggression, which attacks the character of the interlocutor instead of engaging the arguments of others.

Your example of the Dillard conversation is a great example of democratic discourse. I stated a claim with support. You offered support to show that one of my premises was clearly not sound. That then changed my opinion. Through that process we both learned.

See how much better that is than just looking to demonize another poster by casting aspersions on his character or calling him names?

Actually you are incorrect, or shall I say factually challenged? Your rant about Dillard needing to be fired was adolescent at best. Expecting me to engage in adult discourse with someone who salivates with every new thread because they can argue with eveyone about everything is not a productive use of time. To make matters worse, you consistently make baseless, incendiary comments just to stir the pot.

My apologies to those hoping to get info on Iowa hoops. Rant over.

I love how Caar is implying he made some scholarly argument about Dillard.

As if he had sound premises which led to a conclusion, as opposed to some ignorant rant.

Caar wanted Dillard fired for a lack of recruiting success and midwestern connections, although he was White's lead recruiter, was Cezar's and is Hubbard's lead recruiter, and has midwest connections when it comes to two Illinois 2012 recruits.

Latest posts