Recruiting expectations

westview

I have read some posts on other message boards making
snide remarks about Fran's recruits. What the hell do people expect? With Iowa's record the last few years I think he is doing fine.

If Iowa gets Guerrero to go along with Meyer and the rest, that will be a very, very solid foundational recruiting class.

In the few months between the time he was announced and when he actually took the floor as Iowa's new coach, Fran upgraded the talent by 50 percent with the addition of Basabe and Cartwright. The staff also clearly had a hand in getting Brommer and Archie to play better and with some confidence. So I trust his ability to evaluate and to work with players.

Kyle Meyer on video and paper is not the type of player I expected to see Fran bring to Iowa City as his first four-year recruit. He is seeing a potential that is not immediately apparent to the rest of us.

On the other hand, after seeing Cole, Basabe, Brommer and Archie get bumped out of the way on virtually every possession by some of the league's wide bodies this year, it was clear we needed some height, mass and strength down low. Based on his current size and the AAU team on which he plays, I can understand why Fran might be hopeful that in 2-3 years Meyer will be able to provide help there.

FYI-Basabe was Fran's first four year recruit, unless you think he will leave early.
Meyer is a player that isn't going to blow you away, but he is going to be able to contribute on the block, mid-range and a space rebounder. Remember every big man brought in, unless Iowa can pull of bringing in a Top 50 prospect will be complimentary to Basabe. Fran will continue to bring in combinations of players, look for a supremely athletic player to compliment Meyer in the 2012 class, maybe Thok to go with him or an athletic four as Basabe will be a junior. One thing is for sure Fran is going to go hard after the top prospects, but will find others like Meyer.

FYI-Basabe was Fran's first four year recruit, unless you think he will leave early.
Meyer is a player that isn't going to blow you away, but he is going to be able to contribute on the block, mid-range and a space rebounder. Remember every big man brought in, unless Iowa can pull of bringing in a Top 50 prospect will be complimentary to Basabe. Fran will continue to bring in combinations of players, look for a supremely athletic player to compliment Meyer in the 2012 class, maybe Thok to go with him or an athletic four as Basabe will be a junior. One thing is for sure Fran is going to go hard after the top prospects, but will find others like Meyer.

He didn't originally recruit him to come to Iowa.

Some no name commits on the same day Cezar goes to Oklahoma State, this board will be cranky tonight.

Sorry to disapoint you,but pg is not a real need position next year,so I am not cranky,because I like that ''no-name'' who is 6'10'' and will fill out to 240lbs in a couple of years. Give me a 6'2'' or bigger quick combo guard who can shoot and I will be fine. Shooting guard is weaker than pg right now. But most of all,get us a big guy who can start next to Melsahn,Fran!!

Sorry to disapoint you,but pg is not a real need position next year,so I am not cranky,because I like that ''no-name'' who is 6'10'' and will fill out to 240lbs in a couple of years. Give me a 6'2'' or bigger quick combo guard who can shoot and I will be fine. Shooting guard is weaker than pg right now. But most of all,get us a big guy who can start next to Melsahn,Fran!!

PG is a need. Cully has back issues, and Cartwright will be a senior, it would be really nice to get a PG this class instead of relying on a freshman and an oft-injured, suspect talented Cully Payne, after Cartwright graduates.

I would love for Fran to land a Center, but it's starting to look less likely.

At for as Kyle Meyer is concerned, you have no idea how much he will fill out. According to interviews, Meyer thinks he is a PF/SF, so Fran is going to have to convince him to play down low.

based on what I see regarding Fran's recruiting to date (basabe, cartwright) I have 100% faith in his ability.

Right on.

Those two were the two that he actually recruited and were imo the two mvp's on the team.

Maybe it'll go south and he'll recruit a bunch of duds but right now anybody who badmouths his recruiting I'll make a note of to never listen to anything they say again because they are stupid worthless piles of human garbage.

Until he proves otherwise I'm 100% happy with his recruiting.

Right on.

anybody who badmouths his recruiting I'll make a note of to never listen to anything they say again because they are stupid worthless piles of human garbage.

That seems a little strong buddy.

I don't know how saying something like "Kyle Meyer's videos left me unimpressed," makes me a worthless pile of human garbage.

I'll say it: this first commitment didn't bowl me over. But I welcome him to HawkeyeNation and the University of Iowa.

That video of Meyer was far less than impressive...Of the 17 seconds we did see him, all I could think of was watching Erik Hansen as a fresh and soph again...

Has Iowa had a center that was decent as a freshman or sophomore in the past ten years?

Reiner: good at JR/SR
Evans: good as JR/SR
Tate: good as JR/SR
Hansen: good as JR/SR
Gornery: moving on...
Brommer: light started to turn on as JR... we'll see
Cole: SR def best year

I remember everyone being less than impressed with Aaron White when he committed. I think his senior year got most excited on this board after watching him. I am hoping that Meyer is more of the same.

We have seen a highlight video of Meyer.....Fran has seen a whole lot more. I trust Fran's judgement, more than anonymous internet poster.

Latest posts