Recruiting expectations

Meyer isn't going to be here next season. He is still a year away from helping. We need recruits that can help NOW!! Meyer isn't going to do that his first few years on campus (to weak). We need a PG/SG and C NOW!!! Fran's recruiting is not going well so far and it just got a lot harder with Cezar rejecting us. When a kid rejects your offer and gets more news than when a kid accepts an offer on the same day, that kid who accepted is forgotten already.

Meyer isn't a true Center. I think they want him to play a face up 4, which means he'll be behind Basabe for 2 years, and get minutes as a backup. Iowa still wants to get Woodbury as a true center in the 2012 class. I'd take a center,but I think we need to go JC route on that one.

Meyer isn't going to be here next season. He is still a year away from helping. We need recruits that can help NOW!! Meyer isn't going to do that his first few years on campus (to weak). We need a PG/SG and C NOW!!! Fran's recruiting is not going well so far and it just got a lot harder with Cezar rejecting us. When a kid rejects your offer and gets more news than when a kid accepts an offer on the same day, that kid who accepted is forgotten already.

I still think Iowa's most immediate help is a perimeter scorer, not a PG.

I love HawkeyeRyno's ability to project both how good and how strong a 16-year old will be in three years. He really ought to start a recruiting service.

And I'm not exactly sure why we need players that can help NOW, as he puts it. What, are we going to miss our opportunity to win a Big Ten title next year or something? Face it, whoever Fran brings in during the next month is going to be hoping to play in the NIT at best. If you're expecting something else then you weren't paying attention to how bad things got under Lickliter.

That video of Meyer was far less than impressive...Of the 17 seconds we did see him, all I could think of was watching Erik Hansen as a fresh and soph again...

A) It's 17 freaking seconds. Good God.

B) If Meyer, as a high school junior, is playing as well as Erik Hansen did as a college sophomore, isn't that a really good sign for future development?

That video of Meyer was far less than impressive...Of the 17 seconds we did see him, all I could think of was watching Erik Hansen as a fresh and soph again...

Meyer is 220lbs as a 16 year old junior.
Hansen was 205lbs as an 18 yr old entering Iowa.
Big difference.
And Erik did become the Big Ten Defensive POY his senior year,so he was a decent recruit.
Now, Hansen ran the court better and probably jumped better,but had zero outside shooting game like Meyer at that age.
Basically, they are not similar at all.

And to those complaining about Meyer's lack of size/strength: The guy is 6'9", 220, and apparently has 17-foot range on his jumper. If he was 6'9", 250 with 17-foot range and a dominant strength inside, do you really think we'd have a chance in hell at signing him? That sounds like a top-5 recruit to me, and more than likely an NBA lottery pick after his freshman year. A guy like that would probably be the #1 pick in this year's draft.

You might prefer the other guys in the video, but we aren't getting those guys (in less, of course, we establish a pipeline to that team by signing a guy like Meyer). Here's one of them:

Tony Parker 2012 Basketball Recruiting Profile - ESPN

Not going to happen.

He didn't originally recruit him to come to Iowa.

Basabe didn't transfer and didn't step on foot to Seina for classes; last I checked he has only went to Iowa. It really doesn't matter where he originally was going to go, Fran recruited him and he is going to be at Iowa for four years.

Latest posts