Recruiting concerns

You are dumb.

"We are undersized and not physical"

Just isn't true. Woodbury is physical, as is Basabe, and McCabe has his moments as well. Iowa doesn't have an incredibly springy post player with bulk, Basabe is as close as they come. But Iowa is far from soft or undersized.

"McCaffrey did nothing to address our interior issues"

He brought in a top 50 center with offers from UNC and Kansas (I think Kansas offered at the end). He also brought in another big guy that is red shirting. I don't know how you can answer that need better than recruiting a top 50 7-footer.

Gabe is an athletic project, this isn't news. But he seems to have a great attitude and I hope he can become a defensive presence.

McCaffery also took a risk by recruiting a rebounding SF by the name of Hubbard, his early results out at Morgan State (or where ever he ended up) seem to be that Fran was right to take the chance, as he can really score and rebound. I believe your first post complained about a high level scorer like Early.

Early, FWIW, is averaging less than a half point more than Marble per game, and about a point and a half more than White. So that seems like a silly overreach as well.

So Nugent... Strat effectively countered your comments with factual data... I would add the one thing you seem to be forgetting. The biggest thing Fran needed way before a PF (Basabe, White and McCabe are already on the team at this point), was guys that could handle the ball and score from the outside to open up the game and a center to DEFEND the inside game of the other team. So... here's the recruits he's brought in:

MG = pg with 2 guard abilities
Clemmons = pg with 2 guard abilities
Ingram = 2 guard with 3 sf abilities
Woodbury = 7' 1" Center
Meyer = 6' 10" pf/Center

So you see, I think he got exactly what he wanted and needed. JUCO's are fine if they are at a level above your existing players, but as Alford found out... for every Evans (was going to put Thomas in with Evans, but even he didn't really meet expectations until his SR year, if even then) there's a Fermino & Thompson. JUCO's are a crap shoot at best... and most coaches will agree that getting players they can develop over 4/5 years is way better than taking a chance on the JUCO's. Remember they are in JUCO college for a reason... sometimes it's because they are slow to develop, but its mostly because of other issues like academics and such.

and before anybody reminds me I forgot SR May at 6'5 can play the 3/2 and will be the only player leaving after this year due to graduation.
next fall we add
SO Uthoff 6'8 3/4 type player ESPN top 100
FR to be in Jok 6'5/6'6 depending on which site you look at. can play the 2/3/4
very big and capable of playing 2-3 positions

mispelled "Freshman" like nobody has ever mispelled a word on here before.
Rebuttle time
FR Meyer 6'10 red shirting
FR Woodbury 7'1 inside prescense
SO Olaseni 6'10 inside player
SO White 6'9 inside/out player
JR Basabe 6'7 inside player
JR McCabe 6'7 inside/outside player
JR Marble 6'7 capable of playing 3 positions
SO Oglesby 6'5 2/3 player
FR Ingram 6'2 1/2/3 type player
FR Clemmons 6'1 PG
FR Gesell 6'1 1/2 player

how much bigger do these players have to be?

Depends on their weight, are these just tall skinny guys or do they have some muscle?

Damn you, you had me all excited about this Feshman recruit.

Interesting that those who ripped my post, only ripped my post. They offer nothing other than stupid remarks, instead of actual dialogue. Perhaps if they actually understood basketball, or ever played the game (outside of video games), they would understand that we have no inside presence and that is a problem. We are undersized and not physical, which is not a good recipe for playing in the big ten. Some of you geniuses should try to offer a rebuttal, instead of going South Park with all your responses. McCaffrey did nothing to address our interior issues and to me, that was a mistake. We need a contributor, not Archie 2.0 and if Olaseni spends 39 minutes on the pine, then that is what he will become.

I think what many of us are responding to is your condescension. (Thak yoo fr skooling us. We 'preciate it.)

It strikes me that you could have said, "Our young'n's need to work more on an inside presence ... what do you think guys?"

Otherwise, the entire premise of your post is to dismiss what most of us are hopeful about. You've earned your rip. I'm thrilled with the changes of these three years. I am hopeful and--I think--pragmatic for continued improvement.

Na look at comparisons
Woodbury comes in at 7'1 235 lb vs Leonards who was just drafted this summer as a So from Illinois came in as a 7'0 225 lb center
Egwu 6'11 FC SO weighs 245 compared to Olaseni FC SO weighs 229 lbs
Shaw 6'8 SO 230 lbs vs McCabe 239 lbs
if you compare the 2 rosters up and down by comparing heights and position they are very close
and if you look at Indiana's roster they are very similar as well. Fran does not want over heavy players to run and press, we all saw how that worked out with trying to put to much weight on Basabe
as for Gabe he has been playing BB for just 1 year in the states and 1 year in college.. after growing up playing Soccer as well as playing for 4 years of BB in clubs in England
this kid has some tools because Alabama and Xavier both offered him a scholly

Latest posts