Recruiting concerns

Yes, I blame last nights loss on poor recruiting. This senior class was last in the Big Ten and it had attrition. Hopefully next years class does not decommit after some ugly losses. Be careful booing in Carver as you never know if a recruit is watching.

This happened in Kinnick during our biggest weekend for recruiting. Am I surprised recruits are looking elsewhere because of our fans? Nope

My original post did not rip McCaffrey or players. If you think this team is going to fare any better than last year's team in the conference / make the NCAA tourney, you are delusional. Any team with athletic bigs will negate Basabe, White, McCabe and Woodbury (see last night). When we have no inside game, our offense turns into one guy dribbling and 4 standing and guys start forcing it. I am behind McCaffrey and the team 100%, but McCaffrey has to realize he is not at Siena and get some bigger bodies in here. When you can't rebound, get to loose balls and defend, you can't run, which is what this team is built to do . How many breaks did we have against WSU?

Do yourself a favor, stop watching the Hawkeye basketball games.......

EP-e1328765628983.jpg

Good point. Gesell and Woodbury are nice gets, but we have whiffed on eveyone else in the next tier of recruits, losng out to ISU, DePaul, and others. Given the relationships that Speraw, Dillard ad Francis were allegedly bringig, it's a bit disconcerting. Again, McCaffrey worked wonders last year and I certainly think he can right the ship, but Olaseni and Meyer are not the calliber of players that will get us back in the tournament. Juco's and transfers have to be on the table (Barnes, Woolrid, Evans, Tate, Johnson, Thomas, Leslie, Recker, Haluska)

I was wondering when someone was going to hold Fran accountable for not bringing in good recruits. Its clear to anyone whk pays attention that. Basabe, White, Clemons, Ingram, Meyer, Oleseni, et all aren't going to cut it. I'm especially glad someone called him out for being unable to get transfers from other B10 schools.

didn't realize Feshmen had to play like NBA draft picks from day one.. nor did I know that fan had to recruit NBA ready recruits from day one coming off a 3 year stretch where Iowa won 13, 15 and 10 games in 3 seasons and started out with just 11 wins in his 1st season
getting a top 25 class in his 3rd class is pretty amazing

Fran got real basketball players to come to what was one of the worst major conference programs in the country. Some recruiting services actually had a class of his ranked. I don't really worry about recruiting at this point.

didn't realize Feshmen had to play like NBA draft picks from day one.. nor did I know that fan had to recruit NBA ready recruits from day one coming off a 3 year stretch where Iowa won 13, 15 and 10 games in 3 seasons and started out with just 11 wins in his 1st season

Tell us more about this Feshmen guy. Is he any good, how many stars does he have?

Tell us more about this Feshmen guy. Is he any good, how many stars does he have?

Feshman will do for basketball what Higby did for football. I for one can't wait until Feshman is excused from his diplomatic mission to Kabul to join the team in 2013.

Lets see how this season pans out before we start to post this kind of garbage! To much room for improvement on the team right now and I think they will improve. They will have some down games and some just plain crap games but they will also have some great games.... I hope?

Im a little disappointed here Herb. You're just not bringing it with the same passion anymore.

The old herby would have delivered uncle ted a tung lashing the likes of which no one could have understood.

Lets see how this season pans out before we start to post this kind of garbage! To much room for improvement on the team right now and I think they will improve. They will have some down games and some just plain crap games but they will also have some great games.... I hope?

They're treading water until Feshman comes in.

Interesting that those who ripped my post, only ripped my post. They offer nothing other than stupid remarks, instead of actual dialogue. Perhaps if they actually understood basketball, or ever played the game (outside of video games), they would understand that we have no inside presence and that is a problem. We are undersized and not physical, which is not a good recipe for playing in the big ten. Some of you geniuses should try to offer a rebuttal, instead of going South Park with all your responses. McCaffrey did nothing to address our interior issues and to me, that was a mistake. We need a contributor, not Archie 2.0 and if Olaseni spends 39 minutes on the pine, then that is what he will become.

Interesting that those who ripped my post, only ripped my post. They offer nothing other than stupid remarks, instead of actual dialogue. Perhaps if they actually understood basketball, or ever played the game (outside of video games), they would understand that we have no inside presence and that is a problem. We are undersized and not physical, which is not a good recipe for playing in the big ten. Some of you geniuses should try to offer a rebuttal, instead of going South Park with all your responses. McCaffrey did nothing to address our interior issues and to me, that was a mistake. We need a contributor, not Archie 2.0 and if Olaseni spends 39 minutes on the pine, then that is what he will become.

You are dumb.

"We are undersized and not physical"

Just isn't true. Woodbury is physical, as is Basabe, and McCabe has his moments as well. Iowa doesn't have an incredibly springy post player with bulk, Basabe is as close as they come. But Iowa is far from soft or undersized.

"McCaffrey did nothing to address our interior issues"

He brought in a top 50 center with offers from UNC and Kansas (I think Kansas offered at the end). He also brought in another big guy that is red shirting. I don't know how you can answer that need better than recruiting a top 50 7-footer.

Gabe is an athletic project, this isn't news. But he seems to have a great attitude and I hope he can become a defensive presence.

McCaffery also took a risk by recruiting a rebounding SF by the name of Hubbard, his early results out at Morgan State (or where ever he ended up) seem to be that Fran was right to take the chance, as he can really score and rebound. I believe your first post complained about a high level scorer like Early.

Early, FWIW, is averaging less than a half point more than Marble per game, and about a point and a half more than White. So that seems like a silly overreach as well.

This rant is meh, so so....not in the olddude catagory but not bad either. I did like the South Park reference.

mispelled "Freshman" like nobody has ever mispelled a word on here before.
Rebuttle time
FR Meyer 6'10 red shirting
FR Woodbury 7'1 inside prescense
SO Olaseni 6'10 inside player
SO White 6'9 inside/out player
JR Basabe 6'7 inside player
JR McCabe 6'7 inside/outside player
JR Marble 6'7 capable of playing 3 positions
SO Oglesby 6'5 2/3 player
FR Ingram 6'2 1/2/3 type player
FR Clemmons 6'1 PG
FR Gesell 6'1 1/2 player

how much bigger do these players have to be?

Latest posts