Recruiting concerns

I like McCaffrey and think Woodbury and MG have bright futures, but the staff has to be able to land a next level scorer like Early for WSU OR a high energy rebounder / shot blocker like 2-3 guys on WSU's roster. I would like to see a guy like Hall ( the dude with glasses and dreds) on the roster. High energy on both ends, blocked shots, tireless effort guy and while not a prolific scorer, he had a huge impact on the game. We have bigs that are not big, athletic, disruptive or scorers. IMO, big miss by the staff not to get a juco guy in here. Adding Meyer and Uthoff to the mix next season will not help us against teams like WSU and pretty much all of the big ten. Hopefully the team works on mid range jump shots, as they need pull up instead of getting swatted at the hoop. Last night reminded me of Campbell from last seaso---block party for the other guys. I am sure Olaseni is a great kid, but clearly the staff does not think he can help this team, which is disappointing to say the least. Men vs. boys last night.

Yes, I blame last nights loss on poor recruiting. This senior class was last in the Big Ten and it had attrition. Hopefully next years class does not decommit after some ugly losses. Be careful booing in Carver as you never know if a recruit is watching.

not surprised how fast some have turned on these players and even recruiting after a loss, we have one poster saying we need a better PG, now this poster says Fran needs to get better players,

Yes, fire Fran his recruiting sucks, never mind he landed two top 100 players last year, has a couple coming in next year and oh, recruited White and all he did was land on the all freshman team last year.

Are some of you insane or just stupid?

Yes, fire Fran his recruiting sucks, never mind he landed two top 100 players last year, has a couple coming in next year and oh, recruited White and all he did was land on the all freshman team last year.

My vote is stupid and unrealistic, get a grip people.

not surprised how fast some have turned on these players and even recruiting after a loss, we have one poster saying we need a better PG, now this poster says Fran needs to get better players,

Hopium doesn't = wins.

Realism doesn't = turning on the team.

I'm not thankful for the amount of derp I have to sift through on the basketball board this morning

I am honestly shocked. I wasn't on here last night, and the sudden drop in mood is not something I expected to see. The only way you could be this "shocked" at last night's results is if you haven't watched a gmae yet this season.

Reading through the board this morning I'm struck by how many posters seem to think the slightest bit of concern or criticism directed toward the team constitutes ripping/turning on players. Chill.

I like McCaffrey and think Woodbury and MG have bright futures, but the staff has to be able to land a next level scorer like Early for WSU OR a high energy rebounder / shot blocker like 2-3 guys on WSU's roster. I would like to see a guy like Hall ( the dude with glasses and dreds) on the roster. High energy on both ends, blocked shots, tireless effort guy and while not a prolific scorer, he had a huge impact on the game. We have bigs that are not big, athletic, disruptive or scorers. IMO, big miss by the staff not to get a juco guy in here. Adding Meyer and Uthoff to the mix next season will not help us against teams like WSU and pretty much all of the big ten. Hopefully the team works on mid range jump shots, as they need pull up instead of getting swatted at the hoop. Last night reminded me of Campbell from last seaso---block party for the other guys. I am sure Olaseni is a great kid, but clearly the staff does not think he can help this team, which is disappointing to say the least. Men vs. boys last night.

It's early in the season yet you have already managed to come up
with the bonehead post of the year.

My original post did not rip McCaffrey or players. If you think this team is going to fare any better than last year's team in the conference / make the NCAA tourney, you are delusional. Any team with athletic bigs will negate Basabe, White, McCabe and Woodbury (see last night). When we have no inside game, our offense turns into one guy dribbling and 4 standing and guys start forcing it. I am behind McCaffrey and the team 100%, but McCaffrey has to realize he is not at Siena and get some bigger bodies in here. When you can't rebound, get to loose balls and defend, you can't run, which is what this team is built to do . How many breaks did we have against WSU?

I'm having trouble deciding who puts dumber **** on the internet, you or the real Ted Nugent.

What's going to happen to the program if there are a few down years of HS talent in the state of Iowa? He hasn't been pulling in any top guys without the in state advantage.

Good point. Gesell and Woodbury are nice gets, but we have whiffed on eveyone else in the next tier of recruits, losng out to ISU, DePaul, and others. Given the relationships that Speraw, Dillard ad Francis were allegedly bringig, it's a bit disconcerting. Again, McCaffrey worked wonders last year and I certainly think he can right the ship, but Olaseni and Meyer are not the calliber of players that will get us back in the tournament. Juco's and transfers have to be on the table (Barnes, Woolrid, Evans, Tate, Johnson, Thomas, Leslie, Recker, Haluska)

What's going to happen to the program if there are a few down years of HS talent in the state of Iowa? He hasn't been pulling in any top guys without the in state advantage.

So you are saying Fran should make it a priority to recruit outside of the state, when there is good talent here in state. You do understand where the program was when he took it over. I suppose you are stupid enough to think he is going to walk right into our program and pick up 5 star stud power forwards. Then you are going to come back and complain that we aren't recruiting instate players. Nothing could probably please you. Wake up and be realistic.

Seriously?? Meyer is red-shirting and Woodbury has only played 6 college games, if he doesn't improve over the year then MAYBE you can think he's a bust. This team is young, let them develop and get some experience together before blasting them.

Seriously?? Meyer is red-shirting and Woodbury has only played 6 college games, if he doesn't improve over the year then MAYBE you can think he's a bust. This team is young, let them develop and get some experience together before blasting them.

Fran is gradually bringing in more speed and quickness. Its only his third recruiting class. Last years class is going to be special, but it will take time for them to mature. Jok is going to be a great player. I would think Iowa is looking at some great athletes for the 2014 class.

Latest posts