Receptions by the Tight End

storminspank

Justin VanLaere
Through 5 games:
Brad Herman - 4
Zach Derby - 7
CJ Fiedorowicz - 2
Ray Hamilton - 1

That's a grand total of 14 catches by the TE corp through 5 games.

Less than 3 receptions a game.

In years past, Iowa usually averages over 4 and a half per game. In the season w the 3 NFL TEs Iowa on the roster (Tony, Brandon, and Allen) - Iowa was averaging almost 6 a game.

I think its important that we get the tight ends involved more, however our receivers are pretty good. We were burned by dropped balls both at ISU and at PSU last week, though. I think if Derby could learn how to catch a ball, or CJF could get more comfortable with the position at the B10 level we'd be fine.

I'm confused why CJF isn't getting in on passing downs. I always thought from stuff I read that he was be a better receiver than Derby and possibly Herman.

I hate how Iowa has gone away from the play action pass. It works often and very well!
I made a comment watching the game this weekend that I didn't remember the last time we ran a play action pass. It's got me baffled. I don't recall us running one against PSU. Do you?

I made a comment watching the game this weekend that I didn't remember the last time we ran a play action pass. It's got me baffled. I don't recall us running one against PSU. Do you?

Nope I havent seen one since the first game of the year. Well... one that I can remember :p

And Derby dropped one of the few beautifully thrown balls by JVB on Saturday. Hit him right in the hands and he might still be running.

Nope I havent seen one since the first game of the year. Well... one that I can remember :p
Maybe we should bring the consumption level down a bit. :D
But seriously I don't even remember the one. If you want to pound the ball like we do, it just seems like you should utilize the play action more and throw to the tight ends from that formation.

I would think CJF would be on the field on passing downs too. He's the fastest and tallest of tes. His hands can't be worse then Derby's. I say he's got the most potential and let him learn on the fly. If on obvious running downs your not totally behind him fine sub him out on those. But come on get him out there to help us move the ball.

I thought they should redshirt Hamilton. To burn his redshirt like they did CJ last yr is a joke. ferentz just doesn't seem to understand how to use that to the advantage of developing kids. does playing cj on ko return or on a couple of snaps at the end of a blowout early in the year (pretty much what hamilton is doing too) really worth burning an entire yr of eligibility over? I sure don't. Let them learn and get Doyelized for a yr, get their feet wet the next year
then hit the ground running their redshirt soph yr.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm confused why CJF isn't getting in on passing downs. I always thought from stuff I read that he was be a better receiver than Derby and possibly Herman.

What confuses me the most is when we go five wide CJF is not in, most of the time there is little old White? Wouldn't a 6'7 te who primarily played wr in high school be a linebacker's worst nightmare instead of White. I have nothing against White, I just don't see him being such a tough match up. The NFL is all about match ups and I really feel we are failing in that aspect.

Yeah, that has been a staple for us for 10 years now and we have seen very very little of it this year. I don't know what the deal is...

I know it was just the open practice (kids day), but CJF looked by far and away the most impressive of the tightends in the passing game. If his blocking is keeping him off the field, then I would say at least stick him in on the obvious passing downs. He can catch the best of all the tightends and it's not even close.

Latest posts