Recent rumblings

I won't be shocked at all to see Cooper end up at Michigan, which is a shame because we're looking a bit thin at D-Line over the next year or two.

Name the last guy who was recruited to Iowa specifically listed as a DT that made an impact. Not Babs, Not King, Not Kroul, Not Ballard, Not Klug, Not Daniels.

Here are the guys recruited at DT that didn't pan out. Kanellis, Bain, Ettore, Amaitre (sp), Kittrell, V. Jackson, Fergusen, Hundertmark.

So don't worry if we look thin at DT. The overwhelming likelihood is that Iowa's DT's will be converted from other positions.

Name the last guy who was recruited to Iowa specifically listed as a DT that made an impact. Not Babs, Not King, Not Kroul, Not Ballard, Not Klug, Not Daniels.

Here are the guys recruited at DT that didn't pan out. Kanellis, Bain, Ettore, Amaitre (sp), Kittrell, V. Jackson, Fergusen, Hundertmark.

So don't worry if we look thin at DT. The overwhelming likelihood is that Iowa's DT's will be converted from other positions.

Had Kanellis and Ettore stayed healthy, they would have been special. So I wouldn't really say they didn't pan out. But I agree with your overall point.

Had Kanellis and Ettore stayed healthy, they would have been special. So I wouldn't really say they didn't pan out. But I agree with your overall point.

And those aren't the only two who had health issues. Regardless as to why they didn't end up making an impact, they didn't, that is all I meant.

Additionally, all this isn't to say that I hope guys like Davis and Johnson don't end up panning out. I just don't think it is probably a dire situation, because history tells us that our DT's are probably going to be converted from somewhere else.

Last edited:

Just cause scout or rivals say they are one position, doesn't mean that is where KF recruited them. I'm not sure on where they predicted some of those guys, but they weren't all going to play linebacker.

read on a Michigan forum that they have heard Cooper is a heavy UM lean.
DUH!!! YA THINK? I just read the maryland recruiting blog and Iowa is still right there. Lomax commiting is a subtle indicator. Been quiet on CK front, thats good. Lets wait til wed. and see what pans out. Its kind of like a few days before xmas and the kids are trying to guess what they got this year.

Just cause scout or rivals say they are one position, doesn't mean that is where KF recruited them. I'm not sure on where they predicted some of those guys, but they weren't all going to play linebacker.

exactly. just what i was thinking, and you saved me the post.

Daniels WAS recruited to develop into a DT. He just didn't have a "plug and play" body for the position. All the same, he saw action as a back-up as early as his RS FR season (backing up King).

You might argue that Daniels wasn't "listed" as a DT by the recruiting services ... however, it WAS the position he was projected at from the outset.

The big key is whether the guy has the frame to put on the weight and whether or not he has the motor and toughness to handle the duties on the interior. Guys like King and Daniels ... among many others, have definitely fit that bill.