Reason Iowa Hoops not replayed on BTN today

JonDMiller

Publisher/Founder
I contacted them to find out...here is their reply:

The Iowa vs. Illinois-Springfield game was produced locally in Iowa and was streamed live on Big Ten Network. The network had permission to re-air the game today. However, the network was informed late in the process that the game was produced in standard definition only. Therefore, the game was removed from our TV schedule. We sincerely apologize that the on-screen channel guides were not updated in time to reflect the schedule change. The game will be available on-demand at video.bigtennetwork.com. Again, we sincerely apologize for the inconvenience.

I got a very similar email. Are they telling us that they did not want us to have to watch the Iowa game in Standard Definition? If so, I sure am glad they saved us from that horror.

I got a very similar email. Are they telling us that they did not want us to have to watch the Iowa game in Standard Definition? If so, I sure am glad they saved us from that horror.

Not like I even get BTN in HD anyway.. So big deal if it's in standard. Not sure if I buy that excuse or not, but whatever. At least we'll be able to watch it on demand anyway. Better than nothing at all.

i wonder if its a technological limitation due to everything produced by the BTN being in HD?

This is Bull! You don't have to watch the BTN very long to realize that a lot of their content was not produced in high def.

Hmmmmm.... I seem to remember the days when ALL THE IOWA BASKETBALL GAMES were on TV. Larry and Mac on ESPN Plus.

Thanks BigTenNetwork.

i wonder if its a technological limitation due to everything produced by the BTN being in HD?

No. There is nothing to prevent an HD channel from showing SD content - you see it all the time on other channels.

In fact, some "HD" channels seem to show nothing but SD content.

No. There is nothing to prevent an HD channel from showing SD content - you see it all the time on other channels.

In fact, some "HD" channels seem to show nothing but SD content.

most HD channels were developed from a SD original

the BTN was HD from the ground up. the mediacom production was terrible though, i am not surprised that they do not want to show it.

Hmmmmm.... I seem to remember the days when ALL THE IOWA BASKETBALL GAMES were on TV. Larry and Mac on ESPN Plus.

Thanks BigTenNetwork.

Maybe all the games were available in the state of Iowa, but all games were not available outside the state of Iowa (e.g., Chicago). Further, the bigtennetwork.com games are still televised in the state of Iowa by Mediacom. In other words, although the BTN is not perfect, it is a huge upgrade over the old system, especially for those outside the state of Iowa.

Maybe all the games were available in the state of Iowa, but all games were not available outside the state of Iowa (e.g., Chicago). Further, the bigtennetwork.com games are still televised in the state of Iowa by Mediacom. In other words, although the BTN is not perfect, it is a huge upgrade over the old system, especially for those outside the state of Iowa.

Exactly, compared to the old way, Iowa basketball gets a lot more exposure (good or bad) then before. I would rather have 3 games (one being a freakin exhibition) not televised and 28 on nationally instead of 31 being shown just in the state of Iowa.

The replay of the game is not available on bigtennetwork.com either. I've signed up for streaming and it is not available for replay and cannot get an answer from the network as to why. They will not respond to emails and there is no phone number to call.

I stand corrected. The replay is finally available.

Last edited:
I stand corrected. The replay is finally available.

Where is it? I can't seem to find it.

I tried going to the address that was in given in Jon's message that started this thread:
video.bigtennetwork.com

Looks like that's the link where you pay to sign up for online streaming.. So I suppose we have to pay to be able to watch the replay online too?

Latest posts