Really, Really Poor Effort!

I'm not surprised Iowa had issues with this one. Iowa had a relatively short turnaround after their tough game with Indiana. I have always believed Sunday games are the worst because the crowds are pretty laid back and the opponents typically near the bottom of the standings. Doesn't make for the same kind of high-energy performances we saw against Michigan and Indiana.

Poor effort, disorganized "defense" a failure to box out, poor coaching, all true.

But it is tough to stay ahead of a team that is burning the nets with three pointers and other low percentage shots that just seem to find their way through the hoop. And a 30 foot banked in 3 pointer to boot.

NW played out of their minds for 37 minutes or so, and Iowa made every stop and every shot that they need to, to get out of the hole they dug for themselves.

It was an ugly win, but a win.

I agree. It is near impossible to win when the other team seldom misses a shot.

I will also say Iowa now has a target on their back and the Indiana and Northwestern games illustrate that Iowa will get everyone's best shot from here on out. Perhaps Iowa is struggling to transition from hunter to hunted?

I will also say Iowa now has a target on their back and the Indiana and Northwestern games illustrate that Iowa will get everyone's best shot from here on out. Perhaps Iowa is struggling to transition from hunter to hunted?

Yep, beating a top 25 team does wonders for the post season resume. I'm already starting to worry about the Rutgers game, it's tough to win on the road and they've been playing better this year. The good news is Rutgers plays at Northwestern on Wednesday night before turning around and playing Iowa on Saturday. So we will see if there is anything to the quick turn around theory playing another team that's well rested.

I couldn't fault the players effort. I thought the coaches didn't really have them prepared to play Northwestern. The players might of took them lightly, but thats the coaches responsibility to get them motivated.

Fran got out-coached by Collins for 37 minutes but did draw up a beauty of an out of bounds play.

If they have morphed into the predator, more teams will give their best effort, but their chances of nagging better recruits will be much better!

There had to be a little subconscious thought. "We beat these bastards in their barn without one of our best players" Add to that the quick turnaround, the fact that Northwestern was due for a good shooting performance, the fact that we held them to 38.6% the last time out, the randomness of the league, some letdown was inevitable. Many teams would had coughed that game away. We woke up just in time to steal it.

If Penn State played in Carver this year it would have been the exact same setup. Fortunately we don't have to worry about seeing them any more in the regular season.

Fran got out-coached by Collins for 37 minutes but did draw up a beauty of an out of bounds play.
Yeah, I liked how Collins was out there making every shot he threw up while also playing that great D causing the Hawks to miss layup after layup.

Fran didn't get out-coached, though the haters would like us to think so. jNW had a hot shooting game and the Hawks were missing bunnies. Sh*t happens.

NW shot well, lots of made threes with hands in faces, especially first half. Our bigs were a combined like 7-22 mostly in the lane. That's most of the problem.

Rebounding out of both zone and man was not good, -11, yikes.

And inability to press/zone because of missing the bunnies. I don't think either coaching or defensive effort were the issue.

There had to be a little subconscious thought. "We beat these bastards in their barn without one of our best players" Add to that the quick turnaround, the fact that Northwestern was due for a good shooting performance, the fact that we held them to 38.6% the last time out, the randomness of the league, some letdown was inevitable. Many teams would had coughed that game away. We woke up just in time to steal it.

If Penn State played in Carver this year it would have been the exact same setup. Fortunately we don't have to worry about seeing them any more in the regular season.

I'm worried about Indiana for that reason too. It's hard to not be overly confident playing a bad team at home that you already beat on the road.

Northwestern hadn't played since early in the week. They came out looking fresh and poised.

I was concerned about our quick turnaround by comparison, getting home in the middle of early Friday morning, etc. Watching Indiana look flat and sluggish against Ohio State did little to alleviate my concern. I posted Saturday that I was more worried about Northwestern than Maryland, that the Wildcats wouldn't shoot as poorly as they did in the game in Evanston. A couple other posters were concerned too.

We have some players who have been logging huge minutes. Now Wiescamp's back is acting up and we will find out today if Baer is in concussion protocol. After two physically and emotionally draining games in 72 hours we could really use a couple days to chill out. The schedule gives us a break this week. We have been getting some overdue breaks as of late.
Hopefully, they will come out strong against Rutgers on Saturday. Maryland has two tough games before playing Iowa so that should help the hawkeyes.

Latest posts