Really, Really Poor Effort!

ForeverHawk

This is not on the coaches, this has everything to do with player effort. No defense most of the time, no rebounding, couldn’t make layups. This was on them and they deserved the loss. I hope they put forth more effort next game???

It would be nice if we could save our terrible shooting nights for when we play good teams. Missing countless open shots and bunnies is even more frustrating when it costs you a game against a team that has no business beating you.

This is not on the coaches, this has everything to do with player effort. No defense most of the time, no rebounding, couldn’t make layups. This was on them and they deserved the loss. I hope they put forth more effort next game???
I thought the defense was making progress but tonight was a definite setback. The shots not going in I get......but the defensive effort was lacking

I couldn't fault the players effort. I thought the coaches didn't really have them prepared to play Northwestern. The players might of took them lightly, but thats the coaches responsibility to get them motivated.

I couldn't fault the players effort. I thought the coaches didn't really have them prepared to play Northwestern. The players might of took them lightly, but thats the coaches responsibility to get them motivated.
Northwestern hadn't played since early in the week. They came out looking fresh and poised.

I was concerned about our quick turnaround by comparison, getting home in the middle of early Friday morning, etc. Watching Indiana look flat and sluggish against Ohio State did little to alleviate my concern. I posted Saturday that I was more worried about Northwestern than Maryland, that the Wildcats wouldn't shoot as poorly as they did in the game in Evanston. A couple other posters were concerned too.

We have some players who have been logging huge minutes. Now Wiescamp's back is acting up and we will find out today if Baer is in concussion protocol. After two physically and emotionally draining games in 72 hours we could really use a couple days to chill out. The schedule gives us a break this week. We have been getting some overdue breaks as of late.

I didn't think it was an effort thing at all. It was just a matter of playing in the B1G where every team is capable of winning. (see Illinois vs Michigan St)

Iowa came out in Man/Man, :confused: and it allowed Vic Law to get off. With Law hitting and Iowa missing layups, jNW kept building confidence. jNW was red hot, and Iowa was off. At least until the last 3 minutes.

I gotta give credit to Fran and his staff. I thought they did a fantastic job.

Also credit to Moss, Weiskamp, and of course, JoBo. They all took 2 point shots given to them at the end instead of forcing up 3's like most players want to do.

Good teams find a way to win even when they aren't playing well. Is this a good team? I think it is now.

Poor effort, disorganized "defense" a failure to box out, poor coaching, all true.

But it is tough to stay ahead of a team that is burning the nets with three pointers and other low percentage shots that just seem to find their way through the hoop. And a 30 foot banked in 3 pointer to boot.

NW played out of their minds for 37 minutes or so, and Iowa made every stop and every shot that they need to, to get out of the hole they dug for themselves.

It was an ugly win, but a win.

Man, I wouldn't call making the last 7 shots of the game an ugly win. To me that win was a thing of beauty. I think the Pitt game was an "ugly win" so was that game against that cream puff team (Bryant?).
First 37 minutes pretty ugly, last 3 minutes thing of beauty.

Let's say then, 92.5% ugly, 7.5% beauty.

In all sporting event, the win is the only thing that matters.

Boy, every shot had to fall, the free throws that had to be missed were missed, the trap worked like a charm. Sometimes things work out, in a beautiful way.

In the end, it is nice to be excited about Iowa BB on 11 February.