Really, Hawks?

So wrong on so many levels.
I'll expect a road W at IL to make up for this.

I feel like the Nebraska loss cant be made up no matter what. But I do feel like this loss goes away with a win Sunday. Still sucks a little, but as long as we dont drop to a 7 seed in the tourney (which we shouldn't if we win Sunday) then this loss won't really matter. Win Sunday, get a double bye, win one in the Big 10 tournament, get a 6 seed or better in the NCAA tournament, get to the sweet 16, hear Garza announce he's coming back, then count down the days till next year when we meet Kentucky in the championship game and kick Bohannon's ass!

The way we lost is troubling, Iowa let a guy who looks like the YMCA poster boy for middle age men, minus a bandana, outplay our all-American. Even after being ripped apart from three at Purdue, Iowa players still didn't close out on shooters. I don't think the officials were bad, Iowa was bad. Wiese turning down shots and forcing our three headed point guard monster to throw up brick after brick certainly didn't help. And Kreiner might be hurt. That was a bad Tuesday night.

Iowa looks tired to me, a grueling conference schedule looks to have taken a toll on Iowa much more so than on Purdue. Purdue’s defensive effort was 100 rungs better than Iowa’s.

Iowa looks tired to me, a grueling conference schedule looks to have taken a toll on Iowa much more so than on Purdue. Purdue’s defensive effort was 100 rungs better than Iowa’s.
I have to agree with you. But unlike previous seasons, when they hit a wall they NEVER recovered from at some point (usually by mid-February), in this case, it just seems to be about the amount of time between games. I have no idea how they expect to do anything in the post-season, when games are played at 2 or even 1-day intervals. But their play has been consistently poor when the interval has been 3 days between games - even when the Saturday game was early and the Tuesday game was late.

No question, the B1G is as nasty as it has ever been - there's a chance 11 teams will now get to a record of at least 10-10 and get into the NCAA tournament. And the Hawks are not alone - Penn State looks REALLY gassed for the season right now. But we have to figure out some way to have some effort ready for those back-to-backs coming starting next week.

I have to agree with you. But unlike previous seasons, when they hit a wall they NEVER recovered from at some point (usually by mid-February), in this case, it just seems to be about the amount of time between games. I have no idea how they expect to do anything in the post-season, when games are played at 2 or even 1-day intervals. But their play has been consistently poor when the interval has been 3 days between games - even when the Saturday game was early and the Tuesday game was late.

No question, the B1G is as nasty as it has ever been - there's a chance 11 teams will now get to a record of at least 10-10 and get into the NCAA tournament. And the Hawks are not alone - Penn State looks REALLY gassed for the season right now. But we have to figure out some way to have some effort ready for those back-to-backs coming starting next week.
Well at least we will be playing a team that also played 2 days earlier. What happens now is a team will be coming off a 5 day rest playing a team coming off a 3 day rest. We've benefited from those situations too. It's something we wont have to deal with come March. Its something illinois has to deal with Sunday. Maybe we can catch them with tired legs.

Well at least we will be playing a team that also played 2 days earlier. What happens now is a team will be coming off a 5 day rest playing a team coming off a 3 day rest. We've benefited from those situations too. It's something we wont have to deal with come March. Its something illinois has to deal with Sunday. Maybe we can catch them with tired legs.
And if we beat Illinois - and that same Illinois team loses at Ohio State tomorrow night, we will actually be playing to be the #4 seed - remarkable.

True, you watch games around the BTen and the quality of play isn't nearly as sharp or consistent as it was the first half of the season. Watching a couple B12 games, it looks much the same over there. Teams are just worn out, and it's especially obvious for a team like Iowa who is not deep and has been playing their starters tons of minutes. But we also have to face the fact that good defensive teams have figured Iowa out, and like it or not, Iowa's success going forward will rely primarily on the 3-pt shooting of Connor, Evelyn & Toussant. It's probably as simple that if they hit 3s we will win, if they don't, we will lose. Fran will also have to up his game. Not starting Kriener last night was the equivalent of insanity -- after getting handled on the boards at W.Lafayette it shouldn't have taken another half of bball in Iowa City to realize Kriener needed to be on the court for rebounding! Fran also needs to have the team better prepared to handle the Garza double-teams which are now going to come every game. It appears Fran gets mad at his players when they don't execute, but really he's often getting mad because the opponent is taking the Hawks out of the game plan, he's getting outcoached, and he doesn't have any answers. Last night was Fran's worst coaching job of the year. Hopefully he follows it up with one of his best.

True, you watch games around the BTen and the quality of play isn't nearly as sharp or consistent as it was the first half of the season. Watching a couple B12 games, it looks much the same over there. Teams are just worn out, and it's especially obvious for a team like Iowa who is not deep and has been playing their starters tons of minutes. But we also have to face the fact that good defensive teams have figured Iowa out, and like it or not, Iowa's success going forward will rely primarily on the 3-pt shooting of Connor, Evelyn & Toussant. It's probably as simple that if they hit 3s we will win, if they don't, we will lose. Fran will also have to up his game. Not starting Kriener last night was the equivalent of insanity -- after getting handled on the boards at W.Lafayette it shouldn't have taken another half of bball in Iowa City to realize Kriener needed to be on the court for rebounding! Fran also needs to have the team better prepared to handle the Garza double-teams which are now going to come every game. It appears Fran gets mad at his players when they don't execute, but really he's often getting mad because the opponent is taking the Hawks out of the game plan, he's getting outcoached, and he doesn't have any answers. Last night was Fran's worst coaching job of the year. Hopefully he follows it up with one of his best.

I don't know if you can say he's getting out coached just because we finally lost a game at home. He just won the last one a few days earlier.

JW looks like he's just tired of the physical play.
Short bench - but so is Maryland, Minn, etc. - seems half the teams are 6-7 deep.
Purdue looked like a top 10 team last night, 1st Iowa game and home game v. Mich St

Life in the Big10 this yr

I don't know if you can say he's getting out coached just because we finally lost a game at home. He just won the last one a few days earlier.
I didn't say he got outcoached because he lost, I Iisted specific ways he got outcoached in that one game.

No one can say Purdue is a killer team this year. They were HEATED POOP on the road all conf season long. And Iowa made them look like Hogans Heroes. Poor effort, poor game prep. I'm not giving credit to Purdue, sorry.

The Purdue game showed the flaw in Frans ability to coach. He should of prepared them mentally for the game. They got out rebounded and out hustled from the go. The same think happened in the Nebraska game. It isn't the players responsibility to motivate the team.

The Purdue game showed the flaw in Frans ability to coach. He should of prepared them mentally for the game. They got out rebounded and out hustled from the go. The same think happened in the Nebraska game. It isn't the players responsibility to motivate the team.

Players need to take good shots, box out & don't leave shooters wide open. None of which Iowa did against Purdue. 100% on the team, not Fran.

Difference between Purdue & the previous games- Garza is the only one that showed up to Purdue. Garza had zero help. Everyone else should have stayed on the bench. Garza can't do everything.

Players need to take good shots, box out & don't leave shooters wide open. None of which Iowa did against Purdue. 100% on the team, not Fran.

Difference between Purdue & the previous games- Garza is the only one that showed up to Purdue. Garza had zero help. Everyone else should have stayed on the bench. Garza can't do everything.
I thought that all had to do with coaching.

If you’re an Iowa player and need someone to motivate you for a team that just handed you your ass a month ago, that’s a problem.

Assumed Iowa’s players would be out for blood, apparently not.