Realignment Crystal Ball

Excellent work. This is possible and probable, according to everything I've heard in our rumor-mill echo chamber. :)

Cheesy Lake Corn Division
Iowa, Nebraska, Minnesota, Wisconsin

Cowboys vs. Indians and Tigers Division
Texas, A &M, Missouri, Illinois

Great Lakes Division
Northwestern, Michigan, Michigan St. Ohio St

Indiana 500 +1 Division
Penn St, Notre Dame, Indiana, Purdue

Heck with the East Coast. If they have Texas who cares if they get Rutgers. This is what I want if they are dead set on 16 teams and are going to get Texas.

Iowa in a division with Missouri, A&M, and Texas makes me want to vomit.

Great Lakes Division

Indiana 500 +1 Division

Heck with the East Coast. If they have Texas who cares if they get Rutgers. This is what I want if they are dead set on 16 teams and are going to get Texas.

Nothing more says B10 FB on a crisp October morning than the inter-league tussle between Texas, Missouri, Iowa and Texas A&M. Maybe we could just play the games in Ames also.

Great Lakes Division

Indiana 500 +1 Division

Best expansion/realignment scenario I have seen yet. Hands down.

Steve, I like your idea, and I agree with a lot of what you have on here and what you have said about expansion the last few mornings on the radio. Especially when talking about the academic and research sides.

However, where is this 4 division thing coming from? I've heard it in a few reports, not just yours, but I can't see 4 4-team divisions. I think, if your right about the schools, that it would be 2 8-team divisions, with the B&D and Motorola divisions together and the other two together.

Didn't mean to quote your post. Responding to the original 4 division layout with Iowa M,T, and A&M. Regardless, any 4 division layout is an awful idea but your partitioning makes sense (?) if we embrace football Armageddon.

If Texas comes, I don't think A&M comes with them, I think A&M goes to the SEC.

I have some vendors down in Texas that have some pretty good knowledge about the state of affairs down there and that is a lot of what they're hearing. They said they don't think the stipulation to bring one or more other schools along will happen because things are so dramatically different, politically, than they were back in the mid-90's.

I have some vendors down in Texas that have some pretty good knowledge about the state of affairs down there and that is a lot of what they're hearing. They said they don't think the stipulation to bring one or more other schools along will happen because things are so dramatically different, politically, than they were back in the mid-90's.

That could be, but I do think TAMU would be a good fit for the B10. As I've said in the past, the only thing they don't add, assuming they come with Texas, is TV sets. They are a good match in pretty much every other way. I for one don't have a problem with them coming in with or without Texas.

I think us being in the same division with Texas would be a good thing. Here's why: Like a previous poster said, to be the man you have to beat the man. We will have to step up our recruiting and our game in order to compete year in and year out with UT and that's a good thing. Texas does not scare me one bit - heck, we should've beat them a few years ago in TEXAS if it weren't for a bogus call!! Knowing UT would be on our schedule every year would help recruit Texas kids - more specifically the ones who were shunned by UT. I think instead of going to other Texas schools or the Oklahoma schools they will give schools like Iowa a look knowing not only will they get a shot at UT, but shots at Michigan, OSU, Penn St, etc. Plus, I relish them coming to Kinnick and some other northern schools in November - and I definitely wouldn't mind going down there in November :)

Texas isn't going anywhere without Texas A&M. The Texas State Board of Regents simply won't allow it to happen.

People involved with and/or fan of each school know that they aren't going to be split when all of this realignment happens. They either both go to the Big Ten or they both go to the SEC. I just don't see anyway that they are still a part of the Big 12 when all is said and done.

If they don't go to the Big Ten then most likely Nebraska and Mizzou do go. And speculation has Colorado joining the Pac 10. Texas is not interested at all in being in a conference with TCU, BYU, or Utah.

When it's all over, I think that Texas and Texas A&M will be a part of the 16 team Big Ten Conference. There is just simply too much money on the table even just on the academic side for them to say no.

If Texas comes, I think A&M comes..and I think they will be in the same division or pod with Iowa...and Mizzou too, so I agree with that. I dont think Iowa, Minnesota or Wisconsin is going to have much say in splitting them up. Just my take. And I think the Big Ten is going to wait on all of this until they hear a yes or no from Texas.

Why not Illinois with UT, TXAM and Mizzou? Mizzou already plays them. Plus, you could argue all divisons are stronger if you put Wisc., and Iowa together over Illinois and Wisc. Traditionally, each division would have power house team, Texas, PSU and Michigan/OSU. The last division would then have the next best two teams.... Iowa and Wisc.

Last edited:
Why not Illinois with UT, TXAM and Mizzou? Mizzou already plays them. Plus, you could argue all divisons are stronger if you put Wisc., and Iowa together over Illinois and Wisc. Traditionally, each division would have power house team, Texas, PSU and Michigan/OSU. The last division would then have the next best two teams.... Iowa and Wisc.

I agree with this. Splitting Illinois and NW isn't really that big of a deal. I think Illinois would have a much bigger rivalry with Missouri than they would ever dream of having with NW.

I think the 5 should be: Texas, Texas A&M, Nebraska, Missouri, Notre Dame/Rutgers.

If you divided the divisions up with those 5 teams like I did before, you wouldn't even need a protected rivalry week. The only two that wouldn't play would be NW and Illinois and I guess thats not really enough of a reason to have that.

Great Lakes Division

Indiana 500 +1 Division

I like your cheesy lake corn division. That would be pretty good.

Vince, I agree with you.

But....I just have a feeling this isn't going to end up being a big a deal as people are predicting. I don't think there will be 16 teams...it will either be 12 or 14...and there won't be 4 divisions (that would be an absolute NIGHTMARE).

It is only a hunch...and I could be wrong....but I think the expansion will make a lot of sense and will be only minimally disruptive (if at all) to existing rivalries.

Well played Vince and 83Hawk, 14 or 16 teams will not improve Hawkeye athletics, just the money we receive from the tv contracts. Why is bigger better for Iowa? How does aligning ourselves with Texas, AM, and Missouri improve what we have now? I have season tickets for Gopher BB and football so I can watch the Hawks every other year. Can anyone honestly say the Clones are better off in the big 12 than the big 8. Bobby Knight hated the new bb schedule becasue the big ten champ didnt play everyone twice, the yr the Hawks went undefeated in football I would have loved to see them play ohio state for the rose bowl, sorry starting to rant on.

Texas Governor, Rick Perry, was a yell leader at A&M. Texas won't go anywhere without
taking A&M with them.

Great Lakes Division

Indiana 500 +1 Division

If expansion includes UT, A&M, MO, and NE, those four will be in the same division.

Add me to the list of people who hate the idea of being in a division with UT and A&M.

Latest posts